How Important Is Promotion To You?

young_brodie

Firsty, it's fantastic to even be in the position of contemplating promotion into the SPL. On the surface, this might sound like a daft question but there are obviously considerable ramifications (good and bad) How well would Thistle cope administratively? What about the contention of the squad itself? It's also been suggested here that failure to enter the SPL could be a major setback in terms of results...

It won't be the end of the world if we don't win the league, but it would be disappointing to have lost it through largely indifferent away form throughout the season. A Ramsden's success would be a little sweetener, but in some ways winning that would make missing out on promotion even more difficult to take!

• Members

It's also been suggested here that failure to enter the SPL could be a major setback in terms of results...

Has it??? Must have missed it!

It would be a major achievement for such a young side to win this Championship especially with the experience that Morton have in their squad. I think it was fairly well documented that we weren't reaally expecting to be in the position we find ourselves in this season.

Having seen all 3 games against Morton, I'd also say that other than for a spell when they equalised then Forbes got sent off in the Boxing day game and for the last 40 minutes last week, we were by far the better footballing side of the two teams and able to show much more promise.

No matter if we win this thing this season or not, I hope we can hang on to all the players under 25 as they are by far the best young Thistle side since the '71 Cup winning team.

• Like 3

We've been in this league for such a long time. Since arriving:

Gretna, St Johnstone and Dundee have gone up

Hamilton have gone up and down

Dunfermline have come down and up and down again

ICT have come down and up

Livingston have been doubled-down and double-up

Ross County have been down, back up and up again

Airdrie have gone down up, down up

Ayr have come up and down and up and down

Stirling have gone down, up and double down

Falkirk have come down

Raith Rovers have come up

Queen of the South have gone down

Clyde have gone down and down

The only team to have been around anywhere near as long as us uninterrupted is... yep. Morton, who followed us up a season later. Both teams have spent an age in purgatory, us marginally longer. For what is one of the most competitive Divisions in Europe we have largely muddled along for seven seasons now. As someone who's only followed Thistle properly for about 8 or 9 seasons, and been in regular attendance for about five of six seasons, I would absolutely LOVE IT if we win promotion. I've seen teams which frankly have looked absolutely rank in this league at some time or another become solid fixtures in the SPL.

A lot of fans from our and other clubs say they like the idea of winning the SFL title but not promotion itself (almost always in a slightly hollow way). I can honestly say that attitude for Thistle fans should be absolute nonsense. This Club has a great chance to really push on and cement its place in the top flight if it can just get over the line this time around. St Mirren, Ross County, St Johnstone, Dundee, these sides shouldn't be streets ahead of us. If we grasp the chance we can do what they've done. If we get up and drop straight back down, so be it. I'd take that chance over another two seasons sitting mid-table with only a glimmer of a cup run for variety.

We have a young, talented squad. I suspect Morton will tip us, with the experienced pros in their number who have been winning this league for various teams almost every season since we last went up ourselves. But let's be clear about something here: we have the next generation of those winners among our rank. If we don't win this title, many of them will simply be lost to decent SPL teams. If we do win it, they're going to go on to become greats.

R&YA.

• Like 2

If we don't win this title, many of them will simply be lost to decent SPL teams.

This was the main concern in my OP which could potentially impact negatively on ability depending on who/how many.

http://www.wearethistle.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/7104-whos-out-of-contract-in-the-summer-signing-for-dundee-united/page__p__116700__hl__+contract%20+players__fromsearch__1#entry116700

We'll have believers turning out in droves for the remainder of the season!

I am not sure, even if we do win it, that the likes of Erskine,Bannigan,SOD,Doolan wil stay

Bannigan is under contract for next season. If we win promotion, there will be competition to sign our best players who are out of contract in May. Even if they leave (e.g. to Tannadice), we could find suitable replacements as good as, or even better than, them. Lawless, Muirhead and Welsh (but also Murray Craigen and McGuigan) are under contract for next season.

i would love to win the league,as it goes down in history, but we would probably find it tough in the spl without erskine o.donnell brannigan who would probably be snapped up by utd or hibs.i know we would replace these guys but unfortunatly not with the same flare.

theres always an arguement with being in the 1st div you see your team win more than you loose and being in the spl is a grind with the odd win to celebrate. i do honestly believe there will be change hopefully sooner rather than later and that it makes it would make it more exciting to be in the spl

heres hoping

I want to win the league, but the thought of playing the SPL dulls my senses.

I'd like to see how this young team does in the SPL, and I'd hope that winning the league would mean most of the young guys stay. If we don't then Erskine, Paton, O'Donnell, and others may all leave. Would be nice for one of these guys to have a great season in the SPL and maybe net us a few bob.

Would love to win this league but...

Closest comparison I can make to ourselves is Falkirk, Dunfermline & Hamilton who have all crashed & burned since dropping out of SPL.

The ideal scenario would be to win the league, get reconstruction & better distribution of money within Scottish game therefore being able to keep SOD, Sinclair, Erskine.

Unfortunately like WJ, I think whatever happens we'll lose these guys! :(

As important as the most important thing!

Apart from the sheer joy of winning it,

Mind the fealing ye got at st midden?

Well its been far too long

waiting to get those emotions again.

I'd rather be sh*te-ing myself in the SP-Hell

Than the first divi!!!!

Plus I've got a 40yr old malt needing cracked open!!

8-)

It's not just the players that we have, and questioning whether they could cope in the SPL.

It's the office set up. We have a press officer and a general manager on the club payroll. We survive on the goodwill of directors and associate directors providing a wage from their own business's or personal income to a couple of others. And the many volunteers obviously.

For a club to survive in the SPL, it's not just competing on the pitch, it's the work done off it that's so much greater!

How many man hours are required to operate an SPL team? How many do we currently operate with?

With regards to the OP? I would say its really important to me, I want to see us play in the top league, especially one that only has one half of that lot in it.

Incidentally, could this be the worst season financially, to be promoted, as the prize money restructure won't come in to effect til next season?

It would be worth it for the celebrations alone. But no, going in to the SPL doesn't excite me.

Paying £20+ to sit in an empty ground watching complete dross shouldn't be anyone's idea of a good time.

Also share the concerns about the administrative structure of the club and whether we could cope.

The SPL is a mess no matter what shape it takes,but iwould always want Thistle to play at the highest possible level.I fear what team we could end up with next season if we dont get promotion.I think we could lose all our best players and end up with a team that would struggle,We dont even know who the manager will be next season.I also feel if Morton win the league it will be a missed oportunity as i really didnt think that they would finish above us before the start of the season.Finaly once again we could finish second and once again we might as well have finished 6th again for all the good it does :angry3:

It's not just the players that we have, and questioning whether they could cope in the SPL.

It's the office set up. We have a press officer and a general manager on the club payroll. We survive on the goodwill of directors and associate directors providing a wage from their own business's or personal income to a couple of others. And the many volunteers obviously.

For a club to survive in the SPL, it's not just competing on the pitch, it's the work done off it that's so much greater!

How many man hours are required to operate an SPL team? How many do we currently operate with?

With regards to the OP? I would say its really important to me, I want to see us play in the top league, especially one that only has one half of that lot in it.

Incidentally, could this be the worst season financially, to be promoted, as the prize money restructure won't come in to effect til next season?

Presumably those issues apply to every other club that gets promoted to the SPL; you need to up-size. We've done it before, so what's the problem?

Presumably those issues apply to every other club that gets promoted to the SPL; you need to up-size. We've done it before, so what's the problem?

We should alway want to win whatever competition we enter so no brainer for me I want to win this

league and keep all our best players and this seems to me the only way to have a hope of doing that.