Ground Bagging

The Devil's Point

Like climbing all the Munros, collecting all the Scottish Football Grounds should be something to be proud of.

I reckon I've done them all except for the new East Fife one, Elgin and Annan.

Also did loads of older grounds watching Thistle like Clydebank and the Old Broomfield.

Best thing in life is to get out and about.

East Fife, Elgin & St Mirren are the three I've never set foot in.

Actually I've not been to the new St Mirren ground now you mention it. Make that four I have to go then.

Have set a foot on the summit of every Munro though :innocent:

Anyone who has gone to every ground has an insight into the geography and culture of large parts of Scotland. It is to be recommended.

Switch off your TV, walk out of your house and do something.

I've not been to that many as when I was younger I was too skint and only did home games, then I moved away. Easier to list the ones I've been to than the ones I've not:

Scotland

Parkhead

Tynecastle

Rugby Park

Dens

Firhill

Cappielow

East End Park

Falkirk Stadium

Excelsior

Gayfield

Somerset

Ibrox

Hampden

Forthbank

Broadfield

Old Grounds

Love Street

Non-Scotland

Britannia

Old Trafford (not for football)

Etihad

City Ground (Forest)

Meadow Lane (Notts County)

Wembley

Emirates

Cardiff City Stadium

Pirelli Stadium

Prenton Park

New Manor Ground (Ilkeston Town, now Ilkeston FC)

Olympiastadion (Hertha Berlin)

Aviva Stadium

Edited by twinny

Done the lot and seen Thistle at them all, albeit some are reserve and youth fixtures only. Went to a reserve friendly at Elgin to 'bag' that one. Nice ground; horrible journey. Also went down to Annan for a reserve game so as to tick that one off only for Thistle to be drawn there in the cup a few months later.

Favourite is probably Forfar. Hate Stark's Park though.

Old Scottish stadiums I've been to: Broomfield, Kilbowie, Boghead, Muirton, Falkirk, Meadowbank, Douglas Park, Bayview.

As above plus Annfield.

New St Mirren Park is the only current SPL / SFL ground I've not visited.

Edit: Forgot Raydale, but it's still extant. Actually went to two Northern League games there - both against Witton Albion ('crowd' was about 50-100 on both occasions).

Edited by Charlie Endell

Excellent thread. Think I'd done the lot way back when we were in the old 1st division (70-71), but might be delusional. Plenty of the new grounds that I haven't been to, but hope to get lifted at some of them before it's too late.

Another one lacking only Elgin & New St Mirren Park.

Two of my hits are slightly dodgy.

Pre-season friendly at Montrose and under-21 game at the old Firs Park (East Stirling).

The rest are all competitive first team fixtures.

Can also add Deveronvale as well as the now defunct (at least at the top level) Clydebank and Gretna.Have been to both incarnations of Airdrie, but not yet to Rangers Newco. Old grounds include Boghead and the former Bayview.

Only missing Elgin and new St Mirren as well. Had a couple of chances to go to Paisley for Scotland u21 fixtures but I don't count a ground off the list for this purpose unless I've seen the Thistle first team play there so no reserve matches either. Was able to cross off Cowdenbeath and Annan in 2010 but cup draws have been unfavourable since.

On top of the old grounds mentioned above by The Devils Point & Charlie Endell, been to all of them and also Gretna in terms of teams that have played in the SFL.

Lesser Hampden anyone? Pre-season friendly a few years ago (Twaddle's last game for us if I remember correctly). I saw Thistle reserves lose to QP back in the seventies there.

Cathkin Park. Unfortunately didn't see Thistle play there but attended QP-Third Lanark 40th anniversary game in 2007 (this match is on Youtube) If anyone hasn't seen the park, worth having a look next time you're over Hampden way. Climb up the steps from Cathcart Road opposite Crosshill Railway Station. Creepy and sad.

Lesser Hampden anyone? Pre-season friendly a few years ago (Twaddle's last game for us if I remember correctly). I saw Thistle reserves lose to QP back in the seventies there.

Cathkin Park. Unfortunately didn't see Thistle play there but attended QP-Third Lanark 40th anniversary game in 2007 (this match is on Youtube) If anyone hasn't seen the park, worth having a look next time you're over Hampden way. Climb up the steps from Cathcart Road opposite Crosshill Railway Station. Creepy and sad.

Not watched a game there but I helped lay the artificial surface.

Of the current ones, I've yet to go to Peterhead, Elgin, Annan and New St. Mirren Park.

Of the ones no longer with us, I've been to all the same ones as Charlie Endell.

Of the ones still on the go but no longer in the big set up I've been to Meadowbank but not Gretna (assuming the reincarnated Gretna 2008 play at Raydale?)

Not watched a game there but I helped lay the artificial surface.

Are you a groundsman or was this done on a voluntary basis?

Also saw Jags play a pre-season game at Lesser Hampden many years ago. Think we won 2-0 but advancing age means I remember most ancient games as wins so could be mistaken.

Good shouts re Gretna and Annfield which I've done but had forgotten about. Actually played at Annfield once because there was a spell when you could hire it when it had an artificial surface. We won 9-0 but I was pish and would have been subbed if we'd had more than eleven players. Really wanted to score in a proper stadium and run to the stands even if they were empty. Oh well.