Ground Bagging

The Devil's Point

Are you a groundsman or was this done on a voluntary basis?

Voluntary. At the time I worked in the hospitality in Hampden, but the guys who were brought in to lay the artificial surface in LH were running a day or two behind so they needed an extra couple of pairs of hands for one day. All I actually did was rip open massive bags or rubbery stuff and pour them into a big mixer for several hours. Think it was like £100 for a days work though, so I was pretty chuffed.

Actually I've not been to the new St Mirren ground now you mention it. Make that four I have to go then.

Have set a foot on the summit of every Munro though :innocent:

Anyone who has gone to every ground has an insight into the geography and culture of large parts of Scotland. It is to be recommended.

Switch off your TV, walk out of your house and do something.

I once had been to all the grounds but now with the new ones I have four still to do:- Annan Elgin St Mirren and Falkirk. About three years ago I arrived at Falkirk's new ground to be told the game was called off an hour before kick-off and that has put me off going there since. I may lift my ban on them soon.

As for Munros, I have done 192 but two of them have been relegated never to be allowed back. So 92 to go.

• Like 1

As for Munros, I have done 192 but two of them have been relegated never to be allowed back.

So, did you do the Fisherfield Six in one day? I did, and was completely and utterly exhausted afterwards. Brutal walk and had to wade chest high through a river to get back to the bothy near the end. Pure misery but I really enjoyed it.

Balintore is a good base for bagging munros but less so for football grounds. I lived in Invergordon for a while and did a few epic weekends watching Jags, usually involving a five or six hour journey home on the Sunday night. I actually went to more Ross County games in those days than Thistle ones but that was when they were still in the Highland league.

English grounds I've done are: Arsenal, Tottenham, QPR, Fulham, Lincoln, Berwick, Man U.

I've only seen dugs there ;)

How many posters were then we won the Scottish Cup replay at Shawfield 6 0 in early 1980 o'clock. I was there and I think I'm right in saying Maurice Johnston was playing for us and may have scored. Neglected legend Kenny Watson ( he of the penalty kicks stroked to right hand corner) was playing as was Donald Park. I got the brake back to Partick after that game and we all enjoyed a pint of ale and fish and chips. Up early the next morning in those days.

As a Mainz supporter I've done both their stadiums in recent years and also Bayern and Eintracht ( :innocent2:). Great football, great people.

Old Scottish stadiums I've been to: Broomfield, Kilbowie, Boghead, Muirton, Falkirk, Meadowbank, Douglas Park, Bayview.

I can add, Anfield (Stirling), Love Street, Cathkin, Shawfield. Brockville,and (cheekily) Telford Street ( Caley) and Kingsmills ( Thistle) in Inverness.

So, did you do the Fisherfield Six in one day? I did, and was completely and utterly exhausted afterwards. Brutal walk and had to wade chest high through a river to get back to the bothy near the end. Pure misery but I really enjoyed it.

Balintore is a good base for bagging munros but less so for football grounds. I lived in Invergordon for a while and did a few epic weekends watching Jags, usually involving a five or six hour journey home on the Sunday night. I actually went to more Ross County games in those days than Thistle ones but that was when they were still in the Highland league.

In my young days with 8 week long summer holidays at Balintore I watched Ross County quite a lot at Victoria Park. I also saw them play Caley at the Telford Street Ground. Years later I saw Goerdie Shaw run amock there in a pre-season friendly. Little did I expect that County and Caley would ever be playing in a higher division than Partick Thistle. This season is disappointing to have no games in DIingwall or Inverness. Lets hope that next season we will be up there with them in the same league.

I have only done three of the Fisherfield six. But sadly, with relegation, I have done only two of the Fisherfield five. Shame for the sake of 40cm.

I admire those who do the Fisherfield six in one day but I am happy to take two or three day visiting such an isolated and beautiful part of Scotland

How many posters were then we won the Scottish Cup replay at Shawfield 6 0 in early 1980 o'clock. I was there and I think I'm right in saying Maurice Johnston was playing for us and may have scored. Neglected legend Kenny Watson ( he of the penalty kicks stroked to right hand corner) was playing as was Donald Park. I got the brake back to Partick after that game and we all enjoyed a pint of ale and fish and chips. Up early the next morning in those days.

I remember the first game the lights went out. Did our keeper mcnab?? not drop a cross in the net? We made up for it next time however, only to get stuffed by the eventual winners Aberdeen from a weir free kick. Good cup run that year with lots of matches and replays.

Old grounds done Love Street, Brockville, Annfield, Broomfield, Ibrox, Hampden(Celtic 93/94).

Pre-season did Telford Street v Inverness Select(4-0Thistle? I think McWalter even scored?), Solitude(Cliftonville)Belfast and Shamrock Park(Portydown) on the cheeky fekkers tour over 20 years ago :o

Never seen us play Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill, but I saw us play Hamilton there, and saw us play the Vers at Fir Park. Can't remember the score in that one :innocent2:

Never saw us at Raydale park(Gretna), Boghead, Muirton or Firs park :(

Anyone go to Linz for the 2-2 game in the Intertoto Cup?

I remember the first game the lights went out. Did our keeper mcnab?? not drop a cross in the net? We made up for it next time however, only to get stuffed by the eventual winners Aberdeen from a weir free kick. Good cup run that year with lots of matches and replays.

My first game was the 2-2 draw with Kilmarnock at Firhill. Missed the Clyde games but got to the Aberdeen game. Ian McDonald scored in a 2-1 defeat against an excellent Aberdeen team.

I remember there was a question on Question of Sport about that run. Did we ay the most games without reaching the final or something like that?

Old grounds done Love Street, Brockville, Annfield, Broomfield, Ibrox, Hampden(Celtic 93/94).

Why does Ibrox count as an old ground? I mean, Rangers still play there, despite it being done up over time. Surely every ground would count the same way? Wouldn't stadiums count if it's in an entirely new place, such as St Mirren moving away from Love Street, or St Johnstone moving, etc?

My first game was the 2-2 draw with Kilmarnock at Firhill. Missed the Clyde games but got to the Aberdeen game. Ian McDonald scored in a 2-1 defeat against an excellent Aberdeen team.

I remember there was a question on Question of Sport about that run. Did we ay the most games without reaching the final or something like that?

My Dad took me to the two all replay game against Killie at Firhill. I remember being raging at the lack of extra time and penalties. I think we nicked it 1 0 at Killie the following midweek.

The game against the great Aberdeen side was probably my favourite ever Jags game. Watched it from terraces at the city end.

Seaview (twice), Shamrock Park, The Brandywell, Dixon park. climbed Croagh Patrick.

Falkirk (old) Raith Livingstone Ayr (proper ground) Stranraer (felt like a home game) Airdrie Clyde Morton (proper ground)

Ibrox Hampton Kilmarnock Hamilton Stirling Gretna Shawfield (for the dogs only)

Me and Stelios are on first name terms

• Like 1