League Run In

the man

Strong rumour that the proposed league reconstruction vote being delayed until the end of current season but all being well will be implemented in time for start of 2013/14.

The main concern seems to be Morton & if they somehow manage to pull off 1st Div title with their hoofball.

I mean you can understand SPL chairman being concerned. 1500 at a home game which included away support & by all accounts some Wales fans up for the weekend.

Now, if that's a home support then you can imagine why the away support is frightening SPL chairman many of who can already see the looming financial Armageddon that will DEFINITELY occur with Morton being promoted.

Face it, as a home fan in SPL are you going to pay money to watch hoofball when even Moron fans won't?

Also, with their move to Paisley until Crappielow brought up from Parklea standards, sorry harsh on Parklea, to something that would resemble a football ground.... Well you can just imagine the crowd at the first SPL clash between Ross Co & Morton in Paisley.

Yep, you can understand why it's probably more than a rumour.

Btw, why was wee Moore not considered for Coventry, Hartlepool, Huddersfield, Dundee, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen jobs?

There must've been a reason? the man? Surely it's not because Rae keeping him in sweeties if he's a good boy? Must be more to it?

Legacy of Stirling Albion perhaps? :D

Edited by Trotter

I cannae wait for the next few weeks. The run-in and the cup final is going to be the most exciting period for the Jags for years. Personally I think that we are a better team than Morton, but it's very close! The main difference for me is that we seem to be a club that's progressing both on and off the park. The fans, One Thistle, the new management team, our board and the general day to day running of the club have ALL improved. We've conducted ourselves brilliantly both on and off the park and are a credit to Scottish football. Combine all that with playing the best football in the league and that's why we should win this league!

Edited by Hugh Janus

If Morton win the league it will be on merit - their ground, whilst perhaps old fashioned, will be perfectly capable of coping with the attendances which are currently seen in the top division - probably 4,000-5,000 will be the average with St Mirren and Celtic probably the only games which will require any special ticketing procedure.

I would also suggest that Morton's away support will be every bit as good for the other SPL clubs as the numbers who travel from some of the other teams, particularly given the geographical and distance issues.

Not many SPL Chairmen will be losing much sleep worrying about who get promotion. :frantic: :frantic:

My fear is dungfermline going out of business and us ending up 2pts worse off compared to Morton. That said however if we take 4 points from our games in hand and match mortons results till the end of the season (drawing with them) it would go down to goal difference! In the last 11 games both us and morton have 8 wins 2 draws and a loss so hopefully we keep banging the goals in as it may well come down to gd at the end of the season. I think as long as we dont lose on the 10th April the league will be ours!!

That said, I can't see us coming through the 3 games in Fife in 6 days with 9 points. I'd take 6 , which would have us (minimum) a point ahead of Morton going into the head to head game.

Morton have 2 games before the head to head (they play the Saturday of the cup final home v Airdrie) so if we were to get 6 points the chances are we would still be 2 points behind with 1 game in hand

Morton have 2 games before the head to head (they play the Saturday of the cup final home v Airdrie) so if we were to get 6 points the chances are we would still be 2 points behind with 1 game in hand

I realised that after I'd posted but couldn't be bothered going back to change it.

• Like 1

Strong rumour that the proposed league reconstruction vote being delayed until the end of current season but all being well will be implemented in time for start of 2013/14.

The main concern seems to be Morton & if they somehow manage to pull off 1st Div title with their hoofball.

I mean you can understand SPL chairman being concerned. 1500 at a home game which included away support & by all accounts some Wales fans up for the weekend.

Now, if that's a home support then you can imagine why the away support is frightening SPL chairman many of who can already see the looming financial Armageddon that will DEFINITELY occur with Morton being promoted.

Face it, as a home fan in SPL are you going to pay money to watch hoofball when even Moron fans won't?

Also, with their move to Paisley until Crappielow brought up from Parklea standards, sorry harsh on Parklea, to something that would resemble a football ground.... Well you can just imagine the crowd at the first SPL clash between Ross Co & Morton in Paisley.

Yep, you can understand why it's probably more than a rumour.

Btw, why was wee Moore not considered for Coventry, Hartlepool, Huddersfield, Dundee, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen jobs?

There must've been a reason? the man? Surely it's not because Rae keeping him in sweeties if he's a good boy? Must be more to it?

Legacy of Stirling Albion perhaps? :D

Its good that you put your ramblings down in black & white, be nice to bring them back up, when we get promoted, stay at Cappielow & still have Moore in charge.

As mentioned before, attendances are concerning but not to the knicker wetting extent that you go on about. They are not affecting performances or results, as you can see :happy2: and long may that continue.

Dougie, is first & foremost a buisnessman( a very successfull one at that) with some very shrewd people around him, rest assured if we do go up he will put plans in place to avoid scenerios like Dunfermline find themselves in & the laughable Armageddon you refer to.

Ground sharing is not option, Cappielow will be upgraded to the new requirements , whatever they may be, all within the financial & time constraints involved.

These are the facts, not the fictitious farter you spew out. :thumbsup2:

If Morton win the league it will be on merit - their ground, whilst perhaps old fashioned, will be perfectly capable of coping with the attendances which are currently seen in the top division - probably 4,000-5,000 will be the average with St Mirren and Celtic probably the only games which will require any special ticketing procedure.

I would also suggest that Morton's away support will be every bit as good for the other SPL clubs as the numbers who travel from some of the other teams, particularly given the geographical and distance issues.

Not many SPL Chairmen will be losing much sleep worrying about who get promotion. :frantic: :frantic:

Good post & accurate as well ! :thumbsup2:

Likewise, re promotion, if you keep up this tremendous run your on, it will be fully merited. The pressure on yourselves to win these 2 games in hand must be getting unbearable, these are the games that will give you the points to finally get to the top of the league, where you , of course must remain.

I must admit, that im surprised . . . . . . & annoyed ! of the way you have went about things after the McNamara situation, a huge amount of credit to yer man Archie, who as a player ive always liked. The mentality & results he has crafted resulted in him getting the job full time & deservedly so. Hopefully though he'll experience his first loss (es) soon though !

Edited by the man

Good post & accurate as well ! Well done , keet it up, im pleased for you :thumbsup2:

Likewise, re promotion, if you keep up this tremendous run your on, it will be fully merited. The pressure on yourselves to win these 2 games in hand must be getting unbearable, these are the games that will give you the points to finally get to the top of the league, where you , of course must remain.

I must admit, that im surprised . . . . . . & annoyed ! of the way you have went about things after the McNamara situation, a huge amount of credit to yer man Archie, who as a player ive always liked. The mentality & results he has crafted resulted in him getting the job full time & deservedly so. Hopefully though he'll experience his first loss (es) soon though !

I will certainly do my best to keet (one of your deliberate and hysterical misspollings or merely a typo? We will never know! :crazy::frantic: ) it up - as I hope you will.

If I am totally honest I have always liked Cappielow and have always liked Morton as a club - no harm to their supporters either. The fact that we are in direct competition with Morton (is the "Greenock" still persona non grata after the spat between the council and Mr Rae?) is merely an accident - I dare say if Dunfermline or Falkirk or whoever had been in our immediate vicinity we might have had some of their equally witty, intellectual and psychologically well-balanced supporters joining us on this forum - and indeed had that been the case for you then I suspect you would have been favouring their web-fora with your shafts of wit in the same manner as you entertain us. Well done!!

The remaining games will be tough for both sides in truth For us the pressure will be really on now although on the plus side the relative youth of our side should be an advantage in having so many games so close to one another. I nor anyone else has a crystal ball handy,and I am always reminded of the story in a football annual I had when I was a boy it was all about Leeds Utd in 1970 and headlined "the best team that won nothing" and for some strange reason that article has always given me the willies. However, I'm sure Archie will have the lads well up for the coming struggle and if yesterday is any indication we're hitting form just at the right time, so keep believing and get right behind the boys. For anyone too young to remember Leeds were beaten in the European Cup semi-final by Celtic, beaten in the FA Cup Final by Chelsea and lost the league by a point to the Arsenal. I can only imagine how sick they felt, please God we don't share the experience. I think without being arrogant in any way we've played the best football of any side in this division and I'm confident we'll do the business.

Its good that you put your ramblings down in black & white, be nice to bring them back up, when we get promoted, stay at Cappielow & still have Moore in charge.

As mentioned before, attendances are concerning but not to the knicker wetting extent that you go on about. They are not affecting performances or results, as you can see :happy2: and long may that continue.

Dougie, is first & foremost a buisnessman( a very successfull one at that) with some very shrewd people around him, rest assured if we do go up he will put plans in place to avoid scenerios like Dunfermline find themselves in & the laughable Armageddon you refer to.

Ground sharing is not option, Cappielow will be upgraded to the new requirements , whatever they may be, all within the financial & time constraints involved.

These are the facts, not the fictitious farter you spew out. :thumbsup2:

Nice of you to come here TM; always a pleasure...

Surely attendances enable the club to pay wages and to look at future signing plans? Maybe even ground re-development? But hardly necessary if you know there will be no one there to actually fill it. Or is it simply the case that the hardcore faithful will look to whoever is willing to dig deep to buy promotion? That's not a critcism incidentally, we don't have such an individual so rather than buying in journeymen we have elected, in the main, to use youth. As someone suggested: football over hoofball!

Anyway, I wish you well... Other than gaining the kudos of victory, what is the real prize? Visits to SPL cesspits? Remember, we've been there and done it. Ups and downs, the good and bad and then the down... I didn't especially enjoy the SPL first or second time around and thought the standard of football was piss poor; but the H**s were in their element back then and buying foreign imports seemed to be the way forward for all teams. Playing catch-up or simply trying to compete nearly bankrupt most and I think Morton are in danger of also going that way. I mean, Ross County come to visit in your ramshackle ground - 1500 loyal faithful plus 150 visiting fans won't sustain SPL wages. That's a fact; and if your moneymen walk - as most do in the end - then enjoy life in the 3rd division. It's all going to end in tears my friend.

Out of interest, is it true that 12 bus loads of Celtic fans leave Greenock every Saturday? Do you not also boast a Hibs Club and the biggest Celtic SC in Scotland? Plus god knows how many busloads leave the Port? So as a wee business plan, why not change your colours, add a shamrock or two and keep them local? Sure Strathclyde's finest would like that - ghetto control! A community club that the locals can't wait to drive past. Says it all really... (Not that our crowds are exactly brilliant but at least we're on the up and what we're offering even had the visiting Welsh praising our efforts yesterday. To hear one of them comparing Lawless to Messi made my day! But I digress...)

Edited by Meister Jag
  • Like 2

The full backs were finally allowed to push forward and it showed how we can cut open teams. Most teams have nothing to play for, and while they won't just roll over, they will be easier to push. Need to get at every team 100%. Could almost see us winning every game from now on. Whats our record for most wins in a row?

You're more than welcome to Moore. Pretty telling that with all the vacancies that have come up of late, Moore not linked with any. Tells you a lot.

Whether we go up or not, I'm confident that we'll kick on from this season as a club through youth development & a style of play that'll attract players & more importantly, fans.

When Dougie realises that the Moore and his bunch of hoofball merchants are out their depth & Tidser moves on to better things along with mercenary Bachirou going elsewhere for his money - that story true about him saying he wouldn't be back this season til Dougie offered him an eye watering sum?- then where will your club be?

Guys like McDonald believe their own press. Weatherston, McLaughlin & Hardie too old for SPL. I mean 5-1 against a Dundee team that were so far detached from bottom of SPL shows Dougie he'll have to open his chequebook again.

That alongside upgrading Crappielow and playing at Paisley for a few weeks won't be cheap. & believe me if you go up you will be playing at Paisley unless the SPL defer any home games until mid-September at earliest.

You do know why there wasn't a brand new stand built in the Cowshed?

Not ramblings mate. Facts. :D

Anyway, we'll let your players & manager do the talking in the press, we'll concentrate to the matters on the pitch.

Mind you, to be fair I suppose they need to drum up some interest somehow.

Can we have a sweep on your next home attendance!?

I reckon 1400. Anyone else?

• Like 1

Good post & accurate as well ! :thumbsup2:

2 points or more from the games in hand is enough for Thistle to claim top spot, dunno what its like for the players but they are young and fit so should be able to handle it easily enough as for me i'm relishing it no matter the outcome at the end of the season i will look back on this season as being very enjoyable----its been a while since ive been able to say that

For your information Archie doesnt do losses just ask the fog machine vendor

Edited by Jaggyman

They are entitled to their opinion, but they shouldn't be burying their head in the sand about their poor attendance. To be taken seriously they need to at least acknowledge that it is a problem. Is Rae just putting money in or is it on Morton's books as a loan. I think if the Rangers situation and Dunfermlines teaches football anything it should be that the finances of football clubs needs to be sustainable and the football authorities need to take a more active role in scrutiny to ensure that the fixture list can be completed.

...For anyone too young to remember Leeds were beaten in the European Cup semi-final by Celtic, beaten in the FA Cup Final by Chelsea and lost the league by a point to the Arsenal. I can only imagine how sick they felt...

The year after losing the cup final to Chelsea, the same great Leeds team (Sprake, Charlton, Bremner, Lorimer, Clarke, Giles, Madely etc) lost a fourth round cup tie at Colchester United 3-2. A real giant killing. One of the most amazing games I have been at.

This young Thistle side are providing a few amazing performances too. April 10 has the potential to live long in the memory.

The crowd **** is shite.

Morton's attendances are poor but so are Thistle's. We should be looking at higher attendances than 2500-3000 for where we are in the league and the good football the team in playing.

I still don't believe our official figures are right. The Jackie Husband holds 6000 and it looked reasonably full outwith the away end, which I believe is 1500 seats (maybe a bit less), and the front few rows. Also was a decent amount in the North Stand - probably 300/400.

When you compare our crowds to the likes of St Jonstone's and Morton's we can't complain too much.