Comparing Squads

Please correct me if any errors here. What I'm trying to gauge is if our starting squad this season is better or worse than last season.

I make it we started last year with a squad of 20 the same number as this year's, each including one long term injured (Liam 09/10 and Archie 10/11).

Fourteen of the current squad remain from last Aug and there's six new faces replacing six who've gone.

Of the six changes we have Halliwell replacing Tuffey and roughly corresponding we have McGeough for Little, McNamara for Corrigan, MacBeth for McKeown, Grehan for Hamilton and (not that corresponding) Burns for Corcoran. :thinking: I think we're marginally better off here :unsure: .

Of the fourteen remaining players from last August the extra year will obviously make a difference for good or bad. Leaving out Archie & Liam for the time being, Hinchy, Robbo, Rowson & Sid will probably be on the debit side whereas Paton, Willie K, Boyle, Cairney, Erskine & Doolan should, in theory at least, have improved.

I make it in this very unscientific method that we're slightly better off player wise than at this time last season. Not sure if this marginal improvement will be enough to have a positive effect on our league position. A lot obviously depends on the relative strengths and weaknesses of our opponents, but I'm not too depressed about the season ahead.

Would like to know other opinions about this comparison.

Please correct me if any errors here. What I'm trying to gauge is if our starting squad this season is better or worse than last season.

I make it we started last year with a squad of 20 the same number as this year's, each including one long term injured (Liam 09/10 and Archie 10/11).

Fourteen of the current squad remain from last Aug and there's six new faces replacing six who've gone.

Of the six changes we have Halliwell replacing Tuffey and roughly corresponding we have McGeough for Little, McNamara for Corrigan, MacBeth for McKeown, Grehan for Hamilton and (not that corresponding) Burns for Corcoran. :thinking: I think we're marginally better off here :unsure: .

Of the fourteen remaining players from last August the extra year will obviously make a difference for good or bad. Leaving out Archie & Liam for the time being, Hinchy, Robbo, Rowson & Sid will probably be on the debit side whereas Paton, Willie K, Boyle, Cairney, Erskine & Doolan should, in theory at least, have improved.

I make it in this very unscientific method that we're slightly better off player wise than at this time last season. Not sure if this marginal improvement will be enough to have a positive effect on our league position. A lot obviously depends on the relative strengths and weaknesses of our opponents, but I'm not too depressed about the season ahead.

I think that's the key indicator, l-i-b, the other being our fickleness: ie you can put an unchanged Jags XI out three or four times running with no idea of what to expect, the previous game being no guide to the present one. :(

I reckon how McCall adapts to the new faced opposition, both initially and latterly will be as, if not more, important than the changes we've made to the squad. My instinct says the squad is a bit weaker, and my fear is that the style of football we'll play this season is the stuff that other managers sussed and countered successfully from about November of last season. We need not only to shake it up a bit so we hit the ground running (like we managed last season) but also have more tricks up our sleeve when McCall's peers pick up on the weak spots.

From what I saw of them in the last friendly, Robertson and Rowson will not be a problem. Archie, coming back from injury, can't be so sure, which is why McCall probably wants to sign the young centre back on loan from Hearts. MacNamara if (IF) he keeps fit will be a big plus to the team. Grehan will be a huge improvement on Hamilton even if he turns out a disappointment.

The downside as I see it is as the season goes on we'll have to use the young lads quite a bit and while I don't doubt the ability of most of them, I'd worry a bit about them not being able to keep form over a number of games, inexperience leading to mistakes etc.

Also if the mnaager decides to go with (for instance) Grehan and Buchanan with Donnely on the bench as his main option then he has to find a way to keep the likes of Doolan fit and getting run outs because we'll surely need him at some point. Personally I'd have Doolan ahead of Donnelly or at least swap around.

I reckon how McCall adapts to the new faced opposition, both initially and latterly will be as, if not more, important than the changes we've made to the squad. My instinct says the squad is a bit weaker, and my fear is that the style of football we'll play this season is the stuff that other managers sussed and countered successfully from about November of last season. We need not only to shake it up a bit so we hit the ground running (like we managed last season) but also have more tricks up our sleeve when McCall's peers pick up on the weak spots.

I think this is a realy interesting thread and that Woodstock Jag's post is the real key.There's not much between any of the clubs in this division and a manager who can adapt and vary tactics is vital in winning matches.IMac has been found wanting this way for a while .Our goaless/winless streak of last season showed opposition managers had him sussed out.A key season for McCall and the team and my feeling is that IMac has to develop himself as well as the team.

I think this is a realy interesting thread and that Woodstock Jag's post is the real key.There's not much between any of the clubs in this division and a manager who can adapt and vary tactics is vital in winning matches.IMac has been found wanting this way for a while .Our goaless/winless streak of last season showed opposition managers had him sussed out.A key season for McCall and the team and my feeling is that IMac has to develop himself as well as the team.

Cant help but feel that this was more to do with our strikers missing open goals in the games, while the opposition would have maybe one chance in the whole game and take it.

Take for example Ayr hom eand away where we won 1-0 more to do with ayr hitting thumping great goals and us missing absolute sitters. The same with the Morton game and the Dundee game where we lost 1-0 and all Tuffey had to do was pick up a ball out of an empty net. Not really to much of a case of being out fought or out played or out tactically thought.

When you put it like that it's hard to argue, I've not been as despondant about this season as others, but this has got me believing we might just surprise a few people....and finish 4th :unsure:

That was my instinct as well. It's only when you compare like for like it looks that it may be a bit more positive. I feel the new faces are a wee bit better than those no longer here. Guys like Hodge, Boyle, Cairney, Doolan should be a bit more savvy but will that be enough to offset against the legs starting to go in the likes of Rowson, Robbo & Sid. Guess it won't be too long till we find out.

If it's evens stevens squad wise just now perhaps the possible addition of Flannigan & the Hearts loanee could swing things over to the positive side? :unsure:

I make it in this very unscientific method that we're slightly better off player wise than at this time last season.

a few seasons back i was unimpressed by a then unknown harkins until at least a third of the way into the season. difficult then to make comparisons when there are a few players in this years squad about whose abilities little is known.

more pertinent are some of the comments made about mccalls not having an adequate game strategy. this shortcoming seems to his managerial achilles heel. alongside that, over the course of the season he fails to get consistency by not playing more or less same group of players in the same system.

a few seasons back i was unimpressed by a then unknown harkins until at least a third of the way into the season. difficult then to make comparisons when there are a few players in this years squad about whose abilities little is known.

more pertinent are some of the comments made about mccalls not having an adequate game strategy. this shortcoming seems to his managerial achilles heel. alongside that, over the course of the season he fails to get consistency by not playing more or less same group of players in the same system.

I've felt the real problem was his bringing in loan or players on short deals in the January window and then changing the team to accommodate them instead of bringing them in gradually, accommodating the team. (Think Stevie lennon, think Lovell, think Shields).

This may not be such a problem this season as we probably won't be able to afford to do that, except maybe for cheap loans to give us emergency cover.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I agree with your analysis. It is unlikely that McCall will have the money for many additions. We might get Flannigan in plus a couple of loans (especially a left-back).

The current squad has several weaknesses. We cannot expect too much from the promoted youngsters who lack first-team experience. Three of the current squad played most of their football on loan at Clyde last season. Most of the others are over 30 and two (Archie and McNamara) are recovering from injury. Erskine and Hodge (touted as Harkins more able replacement) did not live up to expectations.

It was also significant that our form slump started after the departure of Britton as assistant manager. The lack of proven replacement for Gerry is a major cause for concern. The player coaches (especially Maxwell, Donnelly and McNamara) will be under pressure to deliver both on and off the field.

Our fortunes will depend on the form of Halliwell (needs consistency), Kinniburgh (needs confidence), Boyle (assuming he stays), Buchanan (needs to be and stay fully fit), Doolan (is he good enough?) and Grehan (can he score regularly in our full-time division). The only comfort is that other teams have similar financial and squad limitations.

Edited by kni

It took the rest of the league around 4 months to realise how to play against us: pack the defence, let us pass it side ways, take it off us and counter attack.

The squads not changed really. Have mccalls tactics?

That's the big question.

If we play the same style as last season, and the year before and mccall again demonstrates his inability to change things via substituitions and half time team talks...

This could be a terrible season.

Excellent opening post and thread. I agree that we seem to be marginally better off this time around, but as somebody mentioned, other teams quickly figured out exactly how to play against us, whereas McCall appeared tactically inept in the 2nd half of the season. It's going to be interesting!