Squad Building For Next Season

Dark Passenger

We also need to prepare to accept or reject offers foe Conrad Bannigan and Aaro Muirhead who have all caught the eye of several clubs including Sheffield United scouted by Gerry Collins ! Leeds United Kevin McAllister one or two mentioned watch for close season bids coming in

Will these lads stay and look to play SPl or will Thistle accept any realistic offer or improve the contracts of players ?

Agreed.

what exactly is the build for the spl? he's no kicked a baw in the first division, failed to impress both jackie and archie,we can't be hanging onto deadwood going into the spl, the 2nd division at best is his level. get shot of him.i would love to see him come gd but I don't see it, Baird was outstanding in the first but has been anonymous in the spl. would rather keep Craig than McGuigan

We also need to prepare to accept or reject offers foe Conrad Bannigan and Aaro Muirhead who have all caught the eye of several clubs including Sheffield United scouted by Gerry Collins ! Leeds United Kevin McAllister one or two mentioned watch for close season bids coming in

Will these lads stay and look to play SPl or will Thistle accept any realistic offer or improve the contracts of players ?

Our key players will be offered new contracts with better pay whilst we are playing in the SPL. Every player has his price but, given recent crowds, we can afford to demand top prices. Muirhead and Balatoni could attract serious bids - tall, strong, tough and good on the ball.

what exactly is the build for the spl? he's no kicked a baw in the first division, failed to impress both jackie and archie,we can't be hanging onto deadwood going into the spl, the 2nd division at best is his level. get shot of him.i would love to see him come gd but I don't see it, Baird was outstanding in the first but has been anonymous in the spl. would rather keep Craig than McGuigan

wee baird never played much under barry smith but has scored a few goals over the last six weeks since playing under the bomber!!!!!!!!! i would fancy him next year! :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Kni

Apparently we turned down a bid foeMuirhead in January

Balatoni and Muirhead have the qualities to progress

What should club do if reasonable bid comes in ?

Let both go and replace with Dowie and Mc millan and boost bank funds for future replacements?

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Steven McManus was very close to signing for Thistle around 6 years ago.

The Arch and I met him in Kushion, and he nearly signed a contract drawn up on the spot. It was a napkin.

• Like 1

wee baird never played much under barry smith but has scored a few goals over the last six weeks since playing under the bomber!!!!!!!!! i would fancy him next year! :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

My other point about McGuigan was that he must be on peanuts with us at the moment and even with a wage boost would still be one of our lower paid players. We need squad depth and I think it would be worth keeping him on - especially as previous poster said his sport science degree makes him useful on the coaching/training side of things.

Equally, if not more, important is that he is a young guy we took on because we thought we saw something in him. I'm sure if we'd lost out on promotion there would be few arguing about keeping him on. Given games I've no doubt he will improve.

We are trying to build something long term now unlike many times in the past when we got promoted. One of the pillars of that long term plan is that we show ourselves to be the kind of club that young players can come to, be developed and become better players (because we can't afford to buy success and never will).

That means we keep on guys who we think have some potential, not dump them because he isn't ready yet for the SPL. I'm sure he appreciates that our getting promoted means it will be that bit harder for him to break into the team. But we can loan him out to a division 1 or 2 team. We can compensate for it being harder for him to get played in the 1st team by giving him more work on the training side - which will be useful for him if he doesn't make it and has to fall back on his degree for work.

I hope some of the young last now playing for under 19s and reserves get sent out on loan, we need to start bringing on more of our young players. Bannigan has been exceptional but he's beginning to look like a bit of a one-off as some of the good young players in our first team have been brought in from other clubs at 19-21 years and haven't really been developed by us.

Edited by Mr Bunny

• Members
Bannigan has been exceptional but he's beginning to look like a bit of a one-off as some of the good young players in our first team have been brought in from other clubs at 19-21 years and haven't really been developed by us.

He IS exceptional! Not seen a young player like him in many a long year at Firhill. Hope we stick an improved contract in front of him.

He IS exceptional! Not seen a young player like him in many a long year at Firhill. Hope we stick an improved contract in front of him.

Don't think he will sign the contract though.

He has really improved throughout the season. I actually think it has helped him that Paton has been out. He has been the main man in midfield and his confidence has grown.

Edited by Alan Murray

My other point about McGuigan was that he must be on peanuts with us at the moment and even with a wage boost would still be one of our lower paid players. We need squad depth and I think it would be worth keeping him on - especially as previous poster said his sport science degree makes him useful on the coaching/training side of things.

Equally, if not more, important is that he is a young guy we took on because we thought we saw something in him. I'm sure if we'd lost out on promotion there would be few arguing about keeping him on. Given games I've no doubt he will improve.

We are trying to build something long term now unlike many times in the past when we got promoted. One of the pillars of that long term plan is that we show ourselves to be the kind of club that young players can come to, be developed and become better players (because we can't afford to buy success and never will).

That means we keep on guys who we think have some potential, not dump them because he isn't ready yet for the SPL. I'm sure he appreciates that our getting promoted means it will be that bit harder for him to break into the team. But we can loan him out to a division 1 or 2 team. We can compensate for it being harder for him to get played in the 1st team by giving him more work on the training side - which will be useful for him if he doesn't make it and has to fall back on his degree for work.

I hope some of the young last now playing for under 19s and reserves get sent out on loan, we need to start bringing on more of our young players. Bannigan has been exceptional but he's beginning to look like a bit of a one-off as some of the good young players in our first team have been brought in from other clubs at 19-21 years and haven't really been developed by us.

I'd go along with most of the above. It's starting to look like some folk want us to fill the team up with ageing SPL journeymen or even journeymen from the lower divisions. No thanks. Let's at least give it a go with the philosophy that got us to this point in the first place. Sure, two or three experienced players, but no need for any more Stevie Fulton or Derek Whyte or Leigh Hinds types.

• Like 1

After the past 4 or 5 performances there is a lot more deadwood as you call it than McGuigan .The team has been shit and have stuttered over the finishing line without a Plan B when the first plan doesn`t appear to be working.We play with 1 out and out striker , say Doolan and when he fires blanks we bring on a sub, invariably Craig .Both of them are identikits and provide no challenge for big strapping centre backs, a la Mensing the other evening .Friggin strolled through the game .If we had McGuigan on the bench i`m sure he would come on and give defenders a new problem unlike Mork and Mindy.As for keeping him to use his degree to help the other guys,I personally would find that quite insulting and if he isn`t going to feature in anyones plans the club should do the decent thing and pay up his contract and let him move on with his career either up here or down south, maybe even Ireland . Unfair to keep the big guy hanging on waiting on scraps from the top table.Thistle have taken the high moral ground on Jackie Mc`s contract issue so i`m sure if we want McGuigan and other to go whilst still under contract , i`m sure we should cough up the dough .

After the past 4 or 5 performances there is a lot more deadwood as you call it than McGuigan .The team has been shit and have stuttered over the finishing line without a Plan B when the first plan doesn`t appear to be working.We play with 1 out and out striker , say Doolan and when he fires blanks we bring on a sub, invariably Craig .Both of them are identikits and provide no challenge for big strapping centre backs, a la Mensing the other evening .Friggin strolled through the game .If we had McGuigan on the bench i`m sure he would come on and give defenders a new problem unlike Mork and Mindy.As for keeping him to use his degree to help the other guys,I personally would find that quite insulting and if he isn`t going to feature in anyones plans the club should do the decent thing and pay up his contract and let him move on with his career either up here or down south, maybe even Ireland . Unfair to keep the big guy hanging on waiting on scraps from the top table.Thistle have taken the high moral ground on Jackie Mc`s contract issue so i`m sure if we want McGuigan and other to go whilst still under contract , i`m sure we should cough up the dough .

Some good points there, Mark.

Would quite like to see tuffey back at firhill. Possibly Marc McNulty from livingston, although not sure if he is out of contract. Lyle Taylor might be out of our price range as a team from down south will be more likely to sign him. Peter McDonald is a good player but get lots of injuries. I would keep McMillan and Dowie. Not sure about Elliot. Maybe we should bring him back for pre season and take another look at him. To be fair to the guy he has improved alot since his loan spell.

I would keep Elliot and McGuigan but let Craig go. He has done what he was brought in to do. Cant believe more people havent mentioned Rory McAllister. He is out of contract at Peterhead, has passed his plumbers degree and I am sure that he is sharing his football duties with some part time plumbing work which could mean he might not be looking for a fortune in wages. His is 25, 6ft 1in and his scoring record is there for all to see. Think he would be a great partner for Dools, if he stays!!

http://en.wikipedia....28footballer%29

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=41166

Edited by Lindau