Squad Building For Next Season

Dark Passenger

Am I the only one who doesn't think there are many, if any, current First Division players I'd be looking to sign next season?

Let's go down the County route - keep the core of the current side (they are the best team in the league after all) and bring in a few players who've experienced life in the top flight.

I've had a small(ish) rant about departures this morning, but it's time to focus on those who will remain plus the possible new faces.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who doesn't think there are many, if any, current First Division players I'd be looking to sign next season?

Let's go down the County route - keep the core of the current side (they are the best team in the league after all) and bring in a few players who've experienced life in the top flight.

I've had a small(ish) rant about departures this morning, but it's time to focus on those who will remain plus the possible new faces.

Agreed.

The only players who may be worth signing (Scougall at Livi, Taylor at Falkirk) would cost money and will probably move on to bigger clubs than us anyway. There will be plenty of decent free transfers in the summer plus we should be looking down South as well.

Our squad will be inexperienced at SPL level but that can bring the benefit of playing with no fear. There will be no huge expectations on them so they can go out and show how good they can be. Top 6 here we come! :thumbsup2:

I think it's safe to say we'll need a bit of SPL experience in our squad. Considering we'll be signing at least half a dozen players, 2-3 should come with SPL matches under their belt. If some are made up of talented First Division players that are available, then that's fine too.

Taking players from SPL sides who haven't made the grade has worked with Lawless, Welsh, Balatoni, Forbes, O'Donnell and probably a few others I'm missing. If we can identify the right attitude and attributes from more young players like this, we'll be onto a winner. Bob McHugh is someone I would've liked to see us go for, but he signed a new deal not so long ago. Doubt there's much chance of getting him in on loan now either.

Keep hearing that Brian Graham is on his way to us from Raith, so hopefully he won't follow the John Baird philosophy of being prolific in the first and useless in the SPL. Besides that we're probably looking at players like Ross Forbes who have SPL experiencebut have fallen out of favour at their clubs. Stevie May would probably fall into that category as well.

I'd like a stronger back-up keeper too. Don't see Scully staying (and I wouldn't want him either) and Wightman would be too raw. Wouldn't object to having Smith back after doing a respectable job earlier this season.

As far as replacing Erskine goes, there are two players that immediately spring to mind. Gary Harkins and Paddy McCourt. Not sure on Harkins' contract with Dundee, though. Their wages - particularly McCourt's - might be outwith our budget but there's no harm in asking and putting a contract to them. With a bonus for keeping us in the league, and game time which McCourt has severely lacked with Celtic, he might be tempted to sign up for a year...

Edited by ThickAsThieves

Of the SFL1 players out of contract I'd take Brian Graham. That's about it.

Wouldnt touch Graham - encourages the long ball and by all accounts his attitude is stinking - not what we need.

The ginger full back from Accies - Ziggy something was always decent - Id take him

Bachirou wouldnt excite me much either

• Like 1

As far as replacing Erskine goes, there are two players that immediately spring to mind. Gary Harkins and Paddy McCourt. Not sure on Harkin's contract with Dundee, though. Their wages - particularly McCourt's - might be outwith our budget but there's no harm in asking and putting a contract to them. With a bonus for keeping us in the league, and game time which McCourt has severely lacked with Celtic, he might be tempted to sign up for a year...

CHRIST it would be nice if we could actually take somebody else's best players, instead of always seeing ours stream out the door ...

Several SPL teams have taken players from lower English leagues, reflecting managerial contacts down there. Has Archie or anyone else connected to Thistle got these contacts to get decent players up here?

Is Tidser available? I'd sign him. I'd also take Harkins back.

Am I alone by being underwhelmed by the prospect (or rumour) that we might see Gary Harkins back at Firhill? Turned into a bit of a journeyman at Killie, and in fact got punted. Haven't noticed any rave reviews about him at Dundee. Yesterday's man.

Journeyman?

He got punted because he took the huff when dropped, apparently. Don't think he liked Shiels, like a few of the Killie players. He also scored both goals for Dundee vs. Killie, he would definitely be a good addition in my eyes.

That's me just throwing a name out there though - not heard any rumour about him.

Am I alone by being underwhelmed by the prospect (or rumour) that we might see Gary Harkins back at Firhill? Turned into a bit of a journeyman at Killie, and in fact got punted. Haven't noticed any rave reviews about him at Dundee. Yesterday's man.

Journeyman? League Cup winner and left K*llie as he fell out with Shields.

Was best player on the park for Dundee at Rugby Park the other week by all accounts.

There was a rumour that he signed a PCA with Motherwell. Hope it's not true as I'd love to see him back here..

Journeyman?

He got punted because he took the huff when dropped, apparently. Don't think he liked Shiels, like a few of the Killie players. He also scored both goals for Dundee vs. Killie, he would definitely be a good addition in my eyes.

That's me just throwing a name out there though - not heard any rumour about him.

Aye, I don't pay much attention to the SPL but from all I've heard Harkins has been good for Killie then Shiels got mad at him (he gets mad at everything) so he got dropped. I heard he was the difference between the two teams when Dundee beat Killie recently.

Don't want any poor man's prima donnas, guys that don't train hard or are disruptive. Harkins tho' could be fine as we've seen him when he was super fit.

Like Dark P I don't think I've seen many obvious picks from Div 1. I've mentioned before that Hendrie at Accies is highly thought of but probably not ready for the SPL.

Replacing Paton is a priority and his position is maybe where we'll need to go over budget. Get the right anchorman in midfield and other signings can be a bit more speculative and not too costly.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Journeyman? League Cup winner and left K*llie as he fell out with Shields.

Was best player on the park for Dundee at Rugby Park the other week by all accounts.

There was a rumour that he signed a PCA with Motherwell. Hope it's not true as I'd love to see him back here..

I work with Harkins' mate. The current position is that he 'says he genuinely doesnt know what the summer will bring'.

Agreed.

The only players who may be worth signing (Scougall at Livi, Taylor at Falkirk) would cost money and will probably move on to bigger clubs than us anyway. There will be plenty of decent free transfers in the summer plus we should be looking down South as well.

Our squad will be inexperienced at SPL level but that can bring the benefit of playing with no fear. There will be no huge expectations on them so they can go out and show how good they can be. Top 6 here we come! :thumbsup2:

Scougall is out of contract which is why Livi fans are panicking

Scougall is out of contract which is why Livi fans are panicking

No he's not.

In an ideal world, I'd like us to sign Bachirou from Morton, Ziggy Gordon from Accies, Lyle Taylor from Falkirk and Scougall. Unfortunately for us, all are under contract for 1 more season