Squad Building For Next Season

Dark Passenger

Exactly and it's very unlikely that Saints would lend him to another SPL club.

Next!

He's out of contract at the end of the season and Lomas doesn't fancy him apparently.

He's not really done much against us but it is difficult to ignore his goalscoring record in a poor side.

A friend of a friend....probably baws but apparently looking to move back up here anyway...wages would be the issue i suppose, but then again if he is fan...

He is no a fan... Has a family member who is a fan. He supports the green mob.

Never ever be able to afford him. In dreamland a great signing thou.

would anyone consider Mensing at Raith? dunno if he's under contract for next season but he would do a job as holding midfielder or centre back if dowie doesn't sign. dunno if its a coincidence that hes played in the 3 games we haven't beat them, and the other 2 we won he's not played. I can't see it happening after the stick he was taking but he would add much needed experience to the squad and he can fill a few positions. not sure if hes quite injury prone though.

http://sport.stv.tv/...-of-the-season/

A few days out of date but shows a fair number of SPL teams are worse off than us for having players out of contract. There might even be some there we could tempt to sign with us.

We should sign Stephen O’Donnell of Dundee and make sure our current SO'D stays then the fans can sing "There's only 2 Steve O’Donnells, only ..."

would anyone consider Mensing at Raith? dunno if he's under contract for next season but he would do a job as holding midfielder or centre back if dowie doesn't sign. dunno if its a coincidence that hes played in the 3 games we haven't beat them, and the other 2 we won he's not played. I can't see it happening after the stick he was taking but he would add much needed experience to the squad and he can fill a few positions. not sure if hes quite injury prone though.

I've always had a kind of grudging admiration for Mensing. 30 years old, like Dowie. Could he cut it in the SPL? Maybe worth a shot, as a squad member.

Im surprised theres been a few criticisms of going through lower league players - quite a few decent players in the SPL from lower league teams - Barry Douglas, Gregory Tade, Tony Watt, Leigh Griffiths was originally from Livingston, not forgetting our own Cairney and Harkins plus plenty more who came from the lower leagues.

Remember the time we got promoted 2001-2002 and stayed up 2002-2003 in the SPL plenty of players made step up from lower leagues we had in the squad. We had signed Hardie from East Stirling, Alex Burns from then SFL St Mirren and plenty of others.

Contrast the next year and the number of SPL players we got in Bonnes, Grant Murray, McBride etc or supposedly Premiership class like Anis

Some of our worst players in recent years have been supposedly tried and tested SPL journeymen like Steve Lovell, Jim Hamilton, Craig Dargo, Paul Di Giacamo etc etc

• Like 1

Im surprised theres been a few criticisms of going through lower league players - quite a few decent players in the SPL from lower league teams - Barry Douglas, Gregory Tade, Tony Watt, Leigh Griffiths was originally from Livingston, not forgetting our own Cairney and Harkins plus plenty more who came from the lower leagues.

Remember the time we got promoted 2001-2002 and stayed up 2002-2003 in the SPL plenty of players made step up from lower leagues we had in the squad. We had signed Hardie from East Stirling, Alex Burns from then SFL St Mirren and plenty of others.

Contrast the next year and the number of SPL players we got in Bonnes, Grant Murray, McBride etc or supposedly Premiership class like Anis

Some of our worst players in recent years have been supposedly tried and tested SPL journeymen like Steve Lovell, Jim Hamilton, Craig Dargo, Paul Di Giacamo etc etc

Fair point. Doesn't mean we should go for SPL players if we can get them but got to make sure they have the right attitude. Too many in the past were on the way down and didn't have the "I'm gonnae show them all they were wrong about me" attitude to prove themselves.

Remember we got Muirhead from the THIRD division (and we all know the kind of crap teams that play there, or at least one) and he has had a stormer of a season with us. Dools and Erskine came from the Juniors, though they needed a season or two to adjust to the higher level so couldn't afford that kind of wait in the SPL.

But my point is you can get good players in all divisions. It's a matter of recognising if they've got what it takes to step up a level from a lower division or have not accepted they are on the way down because an SPL club let them go.

It's a matter of finding the right player, with the right attitude who will fit into the team regardless of where he comes from. We have to hope that the management team will be as good at this as they've shown themselves to be good at handling the team they inherited so far.

As an aside as I'm too lazy to start a new thread, what about team formation? I personally hope we keep the same formation. We'll still have a good number of this season's team still with us. (8 I make it even if SO'D and others such as Forbes don't re-sign). Also it's a formation which let's us be very attacking while still being solid defensively.

We've scored the most goals and lost the fewest in our league. We won't score a barrow-load next season but even if you're fighting relegation you need to score goals and we want to keep a formation that helps us do this.

Of course we need to bring in players who can flourish in that formation. It means good passing skills, good shooting skills (or if defender/midfield, good tackling) and above all willingness to work very very hard - or system requires this. We'll need a couple of old heads but they have to be guys who haven't lost their legs. Guys just pushing thirty at most, not guys well over it.

Edited by Mr Bunny

We are trying to build a good youth system, the signs are promising. The last thing we need or want is the squad to be overloaded with so called experienced SPL rejects. We need to make sure that any signings can take us to a higher level but still leave room for our own developing players to make it into the first team squad. This season there has been no opportunity for the likes of Mark McGuigan to get a chance to show what he can do, hopefully we can clinch promotion this weekend so he can get 2 games before the end of the season.

On another note the way Steven Craig has played recently has he been told there is no new contract for next season?

Edited by dunnikierjag

We are trying to build a good youth system, the signs are promising. The last thing we need or want is the squad to be overloaded with so called experienced SPL rejects. We need to make sure that any signings can take us to a higher level but still leave room for our own developing players to make it into the first team squad. This season there has been no opportunity for the likes of Mark McGuigan to get a chance to show what he can do, hopefully we can clinch promotion this weekend so he can get 2 games before the end of the season.

On another note the way Steven Craig has played recently has he been told there is no new contract for next season?

total agreement

Good points there.

Of course we need to bring in players who can flourish in that formation. It means good passing skills, good shooting skills (or if defender/midfield, good tackling) and above all willingness to work very very hard - or system requires this. We'll need a couple of old heads but they have to be guys who haven't lost their legs. Guys just pushing thirty at most, not guys well over it.

This. No more Stevie Fultons, Derek Whytes, Jorge Cadettes (AAAaaaarrrghhghh).

No thanks

Dreadful.

• Like 1

As an aside as I'm too lazy to start a new thread, what about team formation? I personally hope we keep the same formation. We'll still have a good number of this season's team still with us. (8 I make it even if SO'D and others such as Forbes don't re-sign). Also it's a formation which let's us be very attacking while still being solid defensively.

Id stay with the same formation and style of play from this season. Bear in mind in the spl most teams will be trying to actually beat us rather than defending and trying not to lose. This should mean the games will be more open and we will be able to play our passing game to better effect than we have in recent weeks.

• Like 1