First Signing Today....

javeajag

I take it that you agree that most of our squad next season will be the same as this season. Paying them more doesn't make them better. My point is that most people would be happy with a 10 to 15 % increase - so doubling the wage wouldn't be necessary. The players need to be told that we need to live within our means to avoid going the way of Dunfermline and Hearts. I am not sure that even doubling the wage would 'level up' since Erskine and Paton are going to DU for considerably more.

Most players won't be happy with a 10 to 15 % increase if they can, like Erskine and Paton, go elsewhere for considerably more. If our current players are good enough for the SPL then they deserve to get paid for it. Archie can decide their worth. Hopefully these league changes will go through and every team will soon be more healthy. Of course we have to live within our means, but does that automatically mean lowest wages, poorest players, automatic relegation? I don't know.

There wont be a flat rate paid to all parties. Some may get offered nothing, some may get offered 100% rises. No point speculating in 10-15% rises. It doesn't happen like that.

It all depends what contracts the players are on, would probably be clauses against relegation too

Most players won't be happy with a 10 to 15 % increase if they can, like Erskine and Paton, go elsewhere for considerably more. If our current players are good enough for the SPL then they deserve to get paid for it. Archie can decide their worth. Hopefully these league changes will go through and every team will soon be more healthy. Of course we have to live within our means, but does that automatically mean lowest wages, poorest players, automatic relegation? I don't know.

We are maybe talking at cross purposes here. Our current squad,at least the ones still in contract, don't need to be given any increase. As none of them are tried and tested at SPL level and am sure would be well pleased with an increase that is 6 or 7 times higher than inflation. The guys that are out of contract may need a higher increase to keep them. Bringing in new players experienced in the SPL will likely need something similar to their current deals - but as I said before, just because you pay them more doesn't make them better players. It is common practise in business to reward employees once they have shown their worth. None of our guys have done that yet in the SPL. Football clubs need to start acting like other businesses.

• Like 1

We are maybe talking at cross purposes here. Our current squad,at least the ones still in contract, don't need to be given any increase. As none of them are tried and tested at SPL level and am sure would be well pleased with an increase that is 6 or 7 times higher than inflation. The guys that are out of contract may need a higher increase to keep them. Bringing in new players experienced in the SPL will likely need something similar to their current deals - but as I said before, just because you pay them more doesn't make them better players. It is common practise in business to reward employees once they have shown their worth. None of our guys have done that yet in the SPL. Football clubs need to start acting like other businesses.

Can I ask how you think that strategy would impact on morale when the players find they are getting paid a fraction of the wage players at other low level SPL clubs are getting?

I take it that you agree that most of our squad next season will be the same as this season. Paying them more doesn't make them better. My point is that most people would be happy with a 10 to 15 % increase - so doubling the wage wouldn't be necessary. The players need to be told that we need to live within our means to avoid going the way of Dunfermline and Hearts. I am not sure that even doubling the wage would 'level up' since Erskine and Paton are going to DU for considerably more.

Guys that we try to sign from other SPL clubs will expect more than 10% over 1st division wages. You have to remember too that bonuses, etc will have to go up too. There are no doubt ways of adding to the squad without offering very big wages - loan players and promising youngsters from lower divisions we can bring on but will initially be only for cover (and to build the u-20 side).

Whilst paying them more doesn't necessarily make them better, you can't seriously suggest that someone like Bannigan should be happy with a 10-15% increase? In the year that he won awards, got capped for his country, played a huge part in our championship winning season we tell him that's all there is?? I know how I'd feel.

Thistle could now easily afford to double the wages of all those players that they want to keep for next season.

I hated it last time when it became known that our players were all (?) on a basic £500 per week plus bonuses. Keep that kind of info within the club!

So what if we pay Fox an extra £5,000 per month for shut-outs, or Muirhead an extra £5,000 for refraining from stickin' the heid?

It's for Archie to decide, and to take us into Europe.

• Like 1

A week has now elapsed, javeajag ....

Was just thinking the same thing.

I absolutely hate the close season. On my days off, I constantly find myself hitting refresh on ptfc.co.uk only to be disappointed that there is no signing news. It is driving me round the bend!

I absolutely hate the close season. On my days off, I constantly find myself hitting refresh on ptfc.co.uk only to be disappointed that there is no signing news. It is driving me round the bend!

Its NOT even the close season mate and you are facing cold turkey??? Hang in there mate, the new season will come.

It's possible that deals have been done but will not be announced until the manager returns from holiday. Archie will want his first signing to be a big one.

I'm the same, driving me nuts waiting to hear about new signings!

No harm to the lad, but I'm getting sick of seeing "Liam Lindsay Debut" as the latest news story, I want some signings!

I totally trust archie to not rush in, and wait and get the bargains. In archie we trust. But yeh as a fan it's a boring time.

• Members

Have all the SPL games been completed now? Lots of players contracts don't run out till the end of May/June. I think we're more likely to see things happen nearer the end of the month.

Maybe the Graham story has been put about by his agent hoping some other Club will come in quickly at the last minute to outbid Thistle for his signature? Wouldn't be the first time we've been pipped at the post for a player.

Have all the SPL games been completed now? Lots of players contracts don't run out till the end of May/June. I think we're more likely to see things happen nearer the end of the month.

Maybe the Graham story has been put about by his agent hoping some other Club will come in quickly at the last minute to outbid Thistle for his signature? Wouldn't be the first time we've been pipped at the post for a player.

The final SPL fixtures are on Saturday and Sunday. Kilmarnock play Hibs on Wednesday too.