Players You Never Liked, Even When You Were Wee

Jaggernaut

boo: my new chum has clearly gone to bed; I was up for further discussion on that one...

And for the record, my deleted words were "f-nny" and "p-ssy": man, the sweary police on here are tight, as both those words seem entirely appropriate given the subject matter; seems strange to blank that out.

Ha ha!

Still up! I'm glad you weren't one to vent your anger at Sid whilst he was playing, I hate players getting pelters from their own fans, no matter how deserved it is, never, ever helps...

I was hasty in dismissing your "knowledge of the game" relative to your opinion on Donnelly but I do struggle to see how anyone could not see that he was clearly on a different level to all around him for 2/3 seasons but we'll agree to differ...

He also had offers to go elsewhere whilst at us but stuck around and was instrumental in us getting Mcnamara in as a player. Despite what you think now that proved to be a fantastic move.

Fact is football is a job to guys like McNamara and Donnelly so I find it pretty strange that you could hate someone for improving their terms and conditions in a free market, particularly after serving their previous employer well...

Oh and well done you for having an online footprint back to whenever...

I've been going to firhill as long as I can remember first game I can is meadowbank 1985 I think. Just cause I don't hang about forums and boast about doing so don't make me less of a fan. From my join date here you'll see I'm no glory hunter... I also had the same username on olas... But again I have a life so don't spend a lot of time here, only in down time and when I do I despair at comments such as Donnelly was sh1te for us...

I'll add

Tommy Callaghan - like his cousin Willie, was never a footballer

Jorge Cadete - finished when he played for us, 2 games or whatever

Billy McDonald - blame him for the Ayr relegation game, baw face.

Darren Brady - Out his depth.

when I was wee (early-mid 70's) I never liked George Mackie or Danny Kellachan. They were rubbish & more so having had the likes of John Hansen & Alex Forsyth just a few years earlier I don't know how we ended up with that pair!!

I also remember cringing when Tommy Rae's name was read out as playing. I never hated him but I thought he was rotten. I met him at the Ramsdens Cup Final & spoke to him for ages after it, what a nice guy, but will always be rubbish to me!! I think he was good in the 60's when he was first at Firhill, but I only saw him when he came back

I was never keen on George Mackie either. However, didn't we have two players in the 70's, we paid good money for and got diddly squat back. namely Harry Johnston who actually got on football cards at the expense of better players, even though he was a dud. The other was Alan Munro who I never saw play but we paid a few bob for him too. (Did anybody see him play?). In the early 80's saw a couple duds roll up from Tynecastle namely Willie Gibson and Peter Marinello. Never liked ex-Airdrie player John Lapsley either. Roddie Hutchison was also an embarrassment too. In recent times, all those payers that Gerry Collins signed that never lived up to their pre-season friendlies expectations, likewise those that performed under Gerry and Derek Whyte, that saw us relegated twice (Hate them all!). Finally, Darren Brady whose mantra seemed to be 'why pass to a Thistle player when you can pass to the opposition instead.'

My first was Jorge Cadete. I've never really disliked a Thistle player but he just had 'wasted mercenary' written all over him and his performances did little to disprove this. Stevie Fulton was another of Whyte's 'old pal's act' signings and he was even more dreadful. Darren Brady followed, what a complete and utter loser he was. Given that Fulton was already finished when he signed for us, I'd have Brady down as the worst Thistle player I've ever seen, utterly hopeless. The most recent one I can think of is Jim Hamilton, merely a journeyman looking for a wage. I think the only goal he scored for us was a trickled effort in a 6-1 win against Forfar. Fat ******* :lol:

when I was wee (early-mid 70's) I never liked George Mackie or Danny Kellachan. They were rubbish & more so having had the likes of John Hansen & Alex Forsyth just a few years earlier I don't know how we ended up with that pair!!

I also remember cringing when Tommy Rae's name was read out as playing. I never hated him but I thought he was rotten. I met him at the Ramsdens Cup Final & spoke to him for ages after it, what a nice guy, but will always be rubbish to me!! I think he was good in the 60's when he was first at Firhill, but I only saw him when he came back

Strangely I really liked George Mackie, but I cannot remember why!

Alan Munro, a "Goal-Scoring Machine" when at Clydebank, apparently. Think we paid around 10K for him, for zero return. Played only a small handful of games, never scored, then...... who knows. He might even still be in a corner of Firhill somewhere.

Left us to go to (wait for it) Dundee United. Where he performed reasonably well.

My first was Jorge Cadete. I've never really disliked a Thistle player but he just had 'wasted mercenary' written all over him and his performances did little to disprove this. Stevie Fulton was another of Whyte's 'old pal's act' signings and he was even more dreadful. Darren Brady followed, what a complete and utter loser he was. Given that Fulton was already finished when he signed for us, I'd have Brady down as the worst Thistle player I've ever seen, utterly hopeless. The most recent one I can think of is Jim Hamilton, merely a journeyman looking for a wage. I think the only goal he scored for us was a trickled effort in a 6-1 win against Forfar. Fat ******* :lol:

Fulton was actually a Gerry Britton old pals act.

1992/93 season. Stars in stripes column in the programme. Gerry Britton...

If you were a manager, who's the first player you'd sign?

Steve Fulton, he's my best friend, in football.

Not sure if Marinello passed through Tynecastle at some stage, but remember him as a long haired lout from Easter Road.

Harry Jonhnston rings a bell too - rather pish if I remember correctly.

Marinello was at Tynecastle before he joined us, his last club before he quit playing.

Cheers. It's started to ring a bell now. If (and a big if) he went from Hibs straight to Hearts, it was a big thing at the time: the Embra equivalent of going from Celtic to Oldco.

Marinello was at Hibs then went to Arsenal as a big transfer when quite young. I think he was touted as the 'new' George Best. I seem to remember him at Fulham at one point as well. Hearts was when he was much older

Didn't Harry score two of the goals when we beat Rangers 4-3 in a midweek game in the 70's? If you can't like a guy for anything else, you gotta love him for that!

Is that the same game Alan Hansen scored with a penalty near the end to make it 4-3 ?

• Members

Are you thinking of the game where Alan Hansen scored 2?

Yes. Just checked. Harry scored the first goal and Alan scored 2. Jim Melrose getting the other.

Same season we beat them at the beginning of the season (first ever in the Premier League) as well with a last kick of the ball from left back Brian Whitaker to make it 2-1. Remember "Roger" saying in the paper, he was told to mark Tommy McLean and he was that terrified to not carry out Bertie Auld's instructions, he followed McLean everywhere and when McLean dropped deep to help out his defence, Whitaker was following him, picked up the ball about 25 yards out and rifled it into the back of the net for the winner. Just shy of 20,000 at Firhill that day.