A Song To Ditch

Chicob

I'm not bothered about offending the Old Firm, I just think the hello hello song has had its time.

The Saville song was funny at first and then it just dragged on and on.

The worst one of all though is poofs, whores and junkies. Its nonsensical, was never funny and just shite. Cringe everytime I hear it.

• Like 3

I guess Mary from Maryhill is probably another questionable song. An old favourite but in today's PC age, one that is sexist yes, puerile yes, but in terms of football chants or songs, is it that bad i.e. would the polis step in?

The point isn't whether the polis would step in or not, the point is that it's a completely sexist and offensive song (especially for a club with a family atmosphere) with nothing to do with the football? You agree that it is "sexist" and "puerile"....so why sing it?

Being sexist and puerile wasn't against the law the last time I looked. Singing songs that can be classed as bigoted is, however. I understand the sentiment behind 'Hello Hello' perfectly well, as I suspect the majority of fans do, but there will always be those who have a chip on their shoulder - whether that's down to us beating them to a title or it stems from the banning of their own particular ditties - who will seek to make an example of us. And we're going to be in the public eye a lot more often next season. So, for that reason, I think it's time the words were altered.

A few suggestions have been made in the past along the lines of "we're Glasgow's favourite football team". The shed seems to exert some positive influence on the fans, so perhaps if they were to agree on an alternative version then others would follow suit.

Why don't we just sing red n yella army and nothing else?

No wait, that's got "army" in it and some people might think about war and be offended, so that's out.

Looks like we'll need to stop singing altogether and just whistle a merry tune instead. There. Sorted.

• Like 3

Why don't we just sing red n yella army and nothing else?

No wait, that's got "army" in it and some people might think about war and be offended, so that's out.

Looks like we'll need to stop singing altogether and just whistle a merry tune instead. There. Sorted.

Or just sit and rustle our sweetie papers.

The Legend Blows - Quote = "The general air of arrogance and superiority amongst Thistle fans this season has really pissed me off."

Sadly the true sentiment and meaning of Hello, Hello has been lost through time as language at football matches has been sterilised over the years and so the language of the song now feels inappropriate and could be interpreted as inoffensive. These were very clever lyrics at the time and like Meister Jag I have a lot of English fans that understand and appreciate that. However, the time is right to be imaginative and innovative in the language of today. I'm sure it would never be our intention to offend.

And so to "we score when we want". You don't have to be Jags fan or understand the nature of being a Jags fan to truly understand the irony of the song (or are we being to analytical about all of these songs?).

This song, sung by Jags fans is the epitome or irony and could never be construed as arrogant.

I'll be singing we score when we want whenever appropriate. I'll keep Hello, Hello for gatherings of intellectuals and Mary from Maryhill for the sing a traditional song to the local Algarvean residents on St Martins night at the local cafe.

:)

Being sexist and puerile wasn't against the law the last time I looked. Singing songs that can be classed as bigoted is, however. I understand the sentiment behind 'Hello Hello' perfectly well, as I suspect the majority of fans do, but there will always be those who have a chip on their shoulder - whether that's down to us beating them to a title or it stems from the banning of their own particular ditties - who will seek to make an example of us. And we're going to be in the public eye a lot more often next season. So, for that reason, I think it's time the words were altered.

Well actually, sexism is against the law. However, that's not my point. My point is that, if anything, it's just common decency not to sing such derogatory chants at a football match, whether the police get involved or not, there is no place or argument for it.

Well actually, sexism is against the law.

Are we talking employment law here? If we are then things are getting more than a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

Why don't we focus on the 'Hello Hello' issue, given that was the original point of the thread. Plus, given the fact Mary from Maryhill isn't a real person, nevermind a religious or political figurehead, I don't think it's particularly derogatory. Ribald? Yes. Bawdy? Yes. Nasty? No.

Edited by Dark Passenger

It didn't really get much of an airing this season, I don't think there is anything wrong with it but I don't want jailed for being seen singing it.

The Jimmy Saville song is the worst of the lot and that really has to go especially at Celtic Park, the press will have a field day if people sing that. It might have raised a chuckle the first time it was sung against nobodies in a 2/3 empty Firhill right after the story broke but it needs to be canned. If I heard other teams singing this I would hold them in the same contempt I hold the old firm.

This x1 million. The Jimmy Saville song and its derivaties - Kevin Webster, Stuart Hall ... insert name of famous 'paedo' because child abuse is dead funny - are an absolute embarrassment.

The Hello Hello song will most probably die out when the need for its existence day out; that is when Rangers, and to a lesser extent, Celtic cease to loudly and proudly extole the virtues of their respective demagogues during football matches.

Or change the words to one song from our cannon that has the potential to get the club and its fans in bother. It really is that simple.

To be fair, I was quite vocal in my disapproval of the pitch invasions because of the direct threat of trouble for the club, not just potential. Quite a lot on here shouted me down as "it's just a bit of harmless fun".

Apparently it's ok to get the club into trouble for a bit of fun but not to make a stand against bigotry.

Strange.

I don't see the problem with mini, non-threatening pitch invasions that are the result of a real 'oh my god, I can't believe this amazing thing just happened' moment or semi-organised invasions on your own pitch at the end of a successful season. Neither, I believe, to the football authorities. Over-egging it by suggesting an invasion at Dumbarton via social networking sites is taking things to far, though.

Similarly, I think the 'Hello Hello' song has lost any noble or redeeming feature and is now used as a means of deliberately goading or offending people in most of the quarters its now sung.

Are we talking employment law here? If we are then things are getting more than a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

Why don't we focus on the 'Hello Hello' issue, given that was the original point of the thread. Plus, given the fact Mary from Maryhill isn't a real person, nevermind a religious or political figurehead, I don't think it's particularly derogatory. Ribald? Yes. Bawdy? Yes. Nasty? No.

Isn't it insulting to spiders?

I like the song and have always sung it in the past. However, since I've normally got kids with me at games these days, I sing it less and less.

I think there is still a place for it, especially when we play Hearts or K*lmarnock whose fans like a wee chant of The Billy Boys. It should only really be used as a response to sectarian chanting from opposition supports.

• Like 1

It should only really be used as a response to sectarian chanting from opposition supports.

Some will argue that by doing this we are then lowering ourselves to their level. I however dont see any problem with it and in no way can we ever be branded in the same category as these morons. Ill continue to join in with it till the authorities decide it cant be sung.

Hello. I am new to this, or any, Forum so bear with me.

The whole point of this song as said in the beginning, was to show our disdain for bigotry, particularly that of the OF.

Why then do we need to be derogatory of Pope or Queen? Surely we only need to reverse the sentiment to annoy as much but avoid the vague arm of the law. "God bless" anyone?

Having put that into words I am already thinking of throwing up....

I enjoy the banter at football games with opposing fans. I enjoy singing songs or chanting chants at players - it's all part and parcel of the game. Yes, bigotry needs to be stamped out, but I do not include our hello hello under the bigotry banner. However, with the polis now itching for any excuse to lift people and use the ludicrous Offensive Behaviour Act in any warped way they can, it should be binned for the sake of the club and also the fans. But anyone who objects to Mary from Maryhill has clearly had a sense of humour bypass.

SFA came out in the press in 2006 and said there nothing wrong with it. They understood the message being made in the song.

I'm not too sure you can cite that bunch of incompetents. They hardly even understand football.

I've no opinion on the rights and wrongs of the song but I don't trust the authorities to react with indifference. There is clearly a risk factor in singing it otherwise it wouldn't be getting debated on here.

Could singing it jeopardise the move to the North Stand? Could the polis use Thistle as a cheap way of getting some convoluted message over to the ugly sisters, to whom they seem unwilling to act directly upon when they come out with their bigoted filth? Could the media, again by and large unwilling to comment on anything negative about ugly sister "fans", fabricate a story out of this song that would have an adverse effect on the good work that One Thistle have carried out of late? The answers will be a yes each time but I've no idea how remote a possibility each "yes" would be.

The risk factor may be so low that Jags fans can go on singing the song with complete impunity. On the other hand I don't suppose the vast majority of Jags fans would sing the song if it was likely to have an adverse effect on the good work that's being going on at Firhill of late.

From a Thistle perspective I don't trust the SFA, SPL, polis (re football related stuff) and certainly not the media but it's not for me to argue about the rights and wrongs of singing this song. The onus is on the guys who intend to continue regularly singing it.

I'm genuinely no fckn good at these poll things. Can somebody start one listing all our potentially contentious chants, seeking approval - or otherwise - thereby giving us a concensus of sorts (accepting that only a minority of Thistle fans post on this forum) for what's acceptable / unacceptable / sexist / racist / homophobic etc?

Thanks in advance.

I'm genuinely no fckn good at these poll things. Can somebody start one listing all our potentially contentious chants, seeking approval - or otherwise - thereby giving us a concensus of sorts (accepting that only a minority of Thistle fans post on this forum) for what's acceptable / unacceptable / sexist / racist / homophobic etc?

Thanks in advance.

Good idea but don't forget about the gnomes :thumbsup2:

Thanks in advance.

Stevie in this day in age you could be here all day...I mean even shouting "YA BIG JESSIE" is probably deemed offensive! when you think of the shed days and what was sung I have to laugh...I mean has that actually scarred anyone for life?...pc brigade I would string them up and scream obscenities at them for 90 minutes whilst flogging them with a big stick :thumbsup2:

When I started this thread I was expecting pelters but I have been pleasantly suprised at the number of people who are capable of self reflection and willing to acknowledge when some minor changes are required. Also delighted to see others stick their necks out and post their own reservations of some other songs despite knowing the usual predictable and boring 'pc brigade/get a life' tags would be flung their way. For the record the only other song I find totally objectionable is the Mary fae maryhill dross.There are loads of wee lassies, teenage lassies and guys with their daughters at firhill and away from home and to subject them to this sexist garbage is dispicable. Don't tell me to get a sense of humour either. I might have found such witty gems like 'I'd love to ride her' and 'tits falling out of a jumper' hilarious when I was 12 but sorry not now. I don't think for one minute ditching this rubbish whilst continuing with the rest of our songs plus more imaginative new ones will mean firhill is not buzzing next year.

• Like 2