Croatia V Scotland

I know it's all doom and gloom for Scotland just now and quite rightly too. We're mince! Anyhoo, as I was standing outside my work tonight in Sunny Knightswood I noticed in the sky a perfect saltire, white jet stream cross on the blue sky. Is this an omen? Are we going to win tomorrow? Or ultimately is it because Glasgow Airport is just over the river? I do find it strange tho' that nobody has mentioned this game on the forum yet. Feckin' Australian Rugby League ( Load of piss apparently), Play Station games, the cream buns get a mention but no not Scotland, are we all so downhearted about the team?

usually I'm buzzing in the run up to a Scotland game but I forgot we were playing until last night. half the team is injured or have pulled out, Strachan and McCall will need to play to make up the numbers.we would probably be better playing them than half the drivel that gets a game now.

With a fully fit squad we could expect a draw no bother from this fixture. Sadly a fully fit squad is not something we've had for several years. Not just one or two key players are missing for us, but five or six of them are. Expect to see a back four who have never played together, a midfield with next to no ball-winning or anchoring presence, and an isolated striker (probably Griffiths). Oh, and a humping by at least five goals. At least we get to play England in a couple of months... :unsure:

Not sure what you base that thinking on....are Scoland not rated about 74th and Croatia 4th!!

As I said, we have not had a fully fit squad in several years. The last time we had a fully fit squad playing regularly together we were 13th in the rankings. And since then we've probably added a few better players - they're just not playing together regularly. If they were, then Croatia and Scotland are both two similar sized nations and I don't think it would be outwith our reach to get a good result.

Not sure what you base that thinking on....are Scoland not rated about 74th and Croatia 4th!!

And according to what I read this morning rated below Equatorial Guinea, Haiti and Libya. . How are the once mighty (supposedly) fallen !

Come on Strachan, the only way is up - but playing with just one player up front , the poverty of Scotland's talent is only too obvious to everyone we play.

• Like 1

With a fully fit squad we could expect a draw no bother from this fixture. Sadly a fully fit squad is not something we've had for several years. Not just one or two key players are missing for us, but five or six of them are. Expect to see a back four who have never played together, a midfield with next to no ball-winning or anchoring presence, and an isolated striker (probably Griffiths). Oh, and a humping by at least five goals. At least we get to play England in a couple of months... :unsure:

I know my choice is unlikely to come about (and would get humped anyway) but there are more options than you say.

Admittedly we're forced to play a weak centre-back pairing (Hanley's inexperience and Webster's getting past it) but this has been usual the last few years. Martin while not being as good attacking as Hutton is probably more solid in defence and we could play Hammel left back, letting Whitaker play in a defensive midfield position (where I think he's better).

Morrison is captain so he plays. I'd add McArthur, Snodgrass and Naismisth who are skilful but also have a bit of strength and the workrate whoch would be required.against a better team. Also Naismith has the natural instinct to go forward and support the single striker.

Our man up front? Normally I'd not pick Griffiths over Rhodes but Rhodes has had a miserable season (though still getting goals) with a rubbish Blackburn while Griffiths has been hot with a HIbs who got to a cup final. So Griffiths who also can get something out of nothing at times.

My formation is 4-1-4-1

An alternative is to play 3 centrebacks and flooding the midfield but this seems out of fashion these days so I don't see it. Also don't see my team being played, in fact see Strachan picking a skilful but relatively lightweight midfield who will get walked over.

Edited by Mr Bunny

^ The ranking reflects the fact that we are bottom of a poor group with 2 points from a possible 18.

The only teams that we have beaten in recent competitive fixtures are Lichtenstein and Lithuania in 2011.

That's Levein's pathetic legacy.

I know my choice is unlikely to come about (and would get humped anyway) but there are more options than you say.

Admittedly we're forced to play a weak centre-back pairing (Hanley's inexperience and Webster's getting past it) but this has been usual the last few years. Martin while not being as good attacking as Hutton is probably more solid in defence and we could play Hammel left back, letting Whitaker play in a defensive midfield position (where I think he's better).

Morrison is captain so he plays. I'd add McArthur, Snodgrass and Naismisth who are skilful but also have a bit of strength and the workrate whoch would be required.against a better team. Also Naismith has the natural instinct to go forward and support the single striker.

Our man up front? Normally I'd not pick Griffiths over Rhodes but Rhodes has had a miserable season (though still getting goals) with a rubbish Blackburn while Griffiths has been hot with a HIbs who got to a cup final. So Griffiths who also can get something out of nothing at times.

My formation is 4-1-4-1

An alternative is to play 3 centrebacks and flooding the midfield but this seems out of fashion these days so I don't see it. Also don't see my team being played, in fact see Strachan picking a skilful but relatively lightweight midfield who will get walked over.

No place for Maloney? He's been playing very well for Wigan and Naismith has been dire for Everton.

No midfield we could put out from the squad could match Croatia in foorball technique so I've gone for guys who can at least match them physically.

Don't disagree but Maloney has more to offer than Naismith. He can take players on, passes well and has scored some cracking goals. His performance in the FA Cup final victory was superb. It's not surprising Maloney won all 3 top player of the year awards at Wigan - great season in a mediocre team!