Team To Start The Season

p12tfc

I've not made it to any pre season games this year so I'm not in a position to comment myself but how do everyone see us lining up on Friday night? My uneducated guess would be

Fox

O'Donnell

Muirhead

Balatoni

Ats

Kerr

Welsh

Bannigan

Fraser

Lawless

Doolan

• Like 1

I personally would go with

Fox

McMillan

Muirhead

Balatoni

Sinclair

Welsh

Fraser

Lawless

Forbes

Bannigan

Doolan

Can't see Archie breaking up the centra half pairing at was so successful last season, that would be really risky in my opinion. He'll probably start O'Donnell in front of McMillan, but I think McMillan probably the better defensively, which when Mackay-Steven and Erskine are going to be running at you, you need to consider.

Fox

O'Donnell

Muirhead

Balatoni

Ats

Kerr

Welsh

Bannigan

Fraser

Lawless

Doolan

That'll be very close, but I expect Forbes for Fraser. We look like we're setting up with two sitting midfielders, so I think he'll play two from Kerr, Fraser, and Welsh. Murray not initially to get a look in. I think Welsh is a certain started, Fraser did well yesterday - I like his passing and aggression, but Kerr is the most natural ball winner in that area. Kerr gave the ball away more than anyone else yesterday, which was disappointing.

The other concern I have is that Archie seems to be setting us up with Lawless and Bannigan coming in from out wide. I think this makes them less effective than if they were more central, but more importantly I think it removes the space for Sinclair and O'Donnell to run into. This definitely weakens our attacking options. It may make us more solid, but we're inherently weaker if we don't offer a threat. I think we'll find it harder to get in behind team playing like this. Hope Archie doesn't make the formation too rigid.

I think Forbes, Lawless, Bannigan and Welsh will all play. The other midfilder will either be Fraser or Kerr.

For me Fraser looks a better player than Kerr already.

Kerr has been caught in possession often in the last few games. There's only so many times you can blame it on preseason.

I noticed yesterday that Archie's subs were all like for like so I think it would be fair to say we know the system he'll play. Looks to me that with exception of Muirhead for Gabriel the team that started yesterday could well be what'll start on Friday night. In saying that I'm assuming Bannigan and Welsh are rated match fit.

In my mind Craigen is a very useful player as he can switch so easy from an attacking midfielder to a more defensive role. His stamina is exceptional. I just think on this occasion at least that Fraser may be preferred.

Am I the only one that would start Baird for Doolan?

Thought he was a lot more involved in the game when he came on yesterday.

I think you might be.

Doolan has looked pre season by far the more likely to be selected. Besides his first touch is so much better than Baird's, who granted has good close control. I think Baird will have an important part to play but far more likely coming from off the bench.

Few decisions to make- SOD or McMillan? Are Banzo & Welsh fit enough to play 90 minutes? What's our best combination in midfield? How attacking are we going?

I wouldn't break up the Conrad / Aero partnership just yet, think they deserve the first couple of games anyway and Gabriel did give away a lot of fouls yesterday. For the same reason I'd probably keep SOD although the thought of Mackay-Stevens or Erskine going up against him is a bit concerning.

I think Forbes has to play behind Doolan- they are vulnerable from set pieces and Forbes is best in the centre, and Lawless will play wide right. I'd play Bannigan out left,it probably isn't his best position but as long as he's got energy in his legs he'll be able to track back and give Sinclair a hand with whatever winger it is he's up against, and the reverse will be true when we're attacking. Which leaves 2 from Fraser, Kerr, and Welsh- I haven't seen enough of pre-season to judge but I wouldn't be surprised if Kerr's experience got him the start, so

Fox

SOD

Muirhead

Balatoni

Sinclair

Welsh

Kerr

Lawless

Forbes

Bannigan

Doolan

Subs: Gallacher, McMillan, Gabriel, Craigen, Elliott, Fraser, Baird.

Edited by Ancipital

The hype around Gabriel splitting Aaro and Conrad baffles me after 1 game and a closed door

On yesterday's performance he is behind both in the pec'ing order and Aaro showed up well yesterday 2nd half performance

Will Archie consider 3 centre backs and change formation?

Front positions are a concern more than our tried and tested centre halfs

could we pair Baird and Doolan ?

Who can burst from Midfield to get into scoring options ? Christie or Banzo

Fraser will start ahead of Kerr IMO.

Fox

SOD, Bala, Aero, ATS

Fraser, Banzo

Lawless, Forbes, Jimmy(or Christie)

Doolan.

I really like this line up, but it seems incredibly young. For this reason we might see Kerr in place of Fraser.

Going by most people's line ups we have lost our two arguably most important players, certainly two players whose names would be first on the team sheet when fit. We have replaced them with only one new addition (Fraser in most cases, some people have Kerr). Does that not automatically make our team poorer than last year? Regardless of depth, you can only field 11 and our starting 11 is worse than last year. Worried to say the least about the upcoming season.

I think one of our strengths last season was that we had players who could slot in without really weakening the team.(the one exception was maybe Erskine). It is looking like that is going to be the case again this season. The obvious question is whether the squad is good enough for the "premiership". Really looking forward to Friday.

Am well looking forward to Friday.Apart from the journey of course.I know theres some concerns about a lack of firepower and an underwhelming pre season,but I've got every faith that Archie and Shaggy know what they're doing and that it'll all be OK.There were times at Firhill last season where I doubt if any SPL side would have got away from Firhill with anything.We're still a fine side.

Limassol,who were CL quality last year,were a good strong test and we didn't look over troubled by the obvious quality on display.Indeed the longer the game went on,the better we looked.

I'd love to see another couple of signings,especially up front,but am comfy with the strength we have right now.