Just In Dundee Utd

Dug1e

Great game, great performance.

Guilty of getting caught on the ball a few times and making some wrong decisions but looked fantastic when we kept up the tempo. Craigen and Welsh stand outs for me, former would have stayed on I'm sure if he hadn't been booked. Fraser solid too and maybe a surprise starter ahead of Kerr. Muirhead shaky but Balatoni played well.

Should have scored with either Doolan's header in first half or Baird's chest (looked like he was trying to do that rather than header it) in the second.

How the guy Butcher stayed on the park I'll never know. Tackle on Fraser was shocking.

Would have obviously loved the win but looking forward to the season ahead, knowing we are more than capable in this league.

Very encouraging result and performance. Our defence was splendid - some of the blocks quite amazing. What about two by Balatoni from Goodwillie ? I think Osborne can bolster the midfield. ( was about to write "stiffen", but you know what I mean! )Baird surprised me when he came on as I've never been an admirer. But I hope Archie is still on the lookout for a striker who has real physical presence - not forgetting skill. ( Still shudder when I think of the big Irishman we got fro Motherwell a couple of years back who had too much of the former and absolutely nothing at all of the latter).

Shout out to the United players tryin to hit the fans behind goal.. no-one is that bad... surely. :lol:

Great team performance. I feel Sinclair will cost us goals, looks the weaker of the back 4 and a bit too lackadaisical at times for me . Hopefully the strikers sharpen up against Ayr grab a goal or 2 and get that confidence back.

Looking forward to this season after being a bit pessimistic before the game... Bring it on!

Edited by Thistletilladie

Enjoyable and entertaining game despite the 0-0 scoreline. Being objective, I thought the scoreline was probably fair. Considering the quality available to United up front, thought defensively we were very secure. Most if not all the heart stopping moments came from moments when not to put to fine a description on it we were caught out *****ing around at the back. Up front we were alright until the penalty area and then didn't really have much of a clue. Overall, I'm very pleased with that performance and feel there's plenty for Archie to build on the there.

What a great game. We really showed that we belong in the top flight. Some cracking performances from Fraser, Welsh, SOD and Conrad. The only thing that didn't seem to work was Craigen at the tip of the midfield. He looked a bit overawed. There were a few suicidal passes as well, but I'm hopeful we can write them off as first game nerves.

Had a really positive start with about 5 corners on the trot. Fraser's delivery were really good. The game was played at a really high tempo for almost the whole game.Maybe just a bit o composure lacking. DU have a pretty fast forward line, which we dealt with pretty well.

There were no disappointments for us, although maybe Craigen wasn't confident enough and Lawless got bullied a bit. They should have had a guy sent off for a shocker of a tackle, but probably didn't because of Frasers reaction.

Encouraged

One of the best nil nils I've ever been to. Thought welsh was the Motm and even thought Elliott was good and direct when he came on. Wee bit more composure in front of goal and less snatching at shots and we will stay up no bother. Fraser looks a cracking signing albeit just a loan.

Oh and thank god fatty goodwillie is so greedy and never passes, lost count the number of times they had spare men waiting for a pass and he chooses to shoot. Still thinks he's the big time Charlie.

Edited by kennymac29

Good game, great effort terrible refereeing. If that is Scotland's best referee then they have major problems.

The team moved the ball well and worked their butt off. Two complaints, too many giveaways especially Lawless in the first half and Doolan has to go and meet the ball not stand and wait for it to come to him.

It will improve, we are going to be just fine.

That was an excellent game. We looked good all over the park. No real failures.

Fox (the mad out of the box challenge aside) was excellent along with the 4 in front of him. Midfield was sold and their work rate was much better than Utd. Kris up from was his usual pest for their defence. Even when Christie came on he had some cracking runs and tracked back with some solid tackles. As has been mentioned above, a bit of composure and we could have hit the net.

What a tit Paton is. Lost out in a solid tackle, held his leg, rolled a bit, looked up, held his leg and rolled another wee bit before getting up and running on.

All in all a cracking game. Will take a half dozen or so games to settle down, but very encouraging start.

• Like 1

That was as entertaining a 0-0 as you are ever likely to see. I was a bit downbeat about this season in the SPLPLP Premier Championship League and a bit apprehensive about our prospects without Chris Erskine...but that was a good Friday evening out.

We need to find someone to score goals though - we should be top of the League tonight!.

Fox, Balatoni, Welsh & Lawless were excellent but I was really proud of the bold way we played.

The Kids are all right.

Enjoyed the game and the atmosphere in the North Stand, some of the songs were excellent. Thought we played really well, no failures in the team, but still lack a wee bit of guile in the final third. But if we play like that throughout the season - both in quality and in style of play - I think we'll be a breath of fresh air to the league and will stay up no problems.

Very encouraged by that.No failures and the boys all stepped up to the mark.Glad to see we're still trying to pass the ball to feet most of the time too.Foxy will be in the Scotland squad before the end of the season.Wouldn't swap Paton or Erskine for any of our players on that showing.If our younger players can grow into this division as the season goes on there is good times ahead but a win at home asap is vital.Sincy must realise he's not got half the time on the ball this season.

IMO we should have won the game but we must also improve on what was a good performance to begin with.

The ref was shocking .The pen on Sinclair was stonwall and butcher should have walked.How many fouls did MacKay Stevens commit as well when Craigan got booked for his first one.

As for the abuse goodwillie took , I suppose if anyone deserves it , he does.

Onwards and upwards

Brilliant performance. Think where we were only a few years ago now we have a young squad playing fearless attacking football in the top league. I thought the midfield were outstanding especially Welsh and I've not always been his biggest fan. Winning lots of 50/50s and keeping the ball on the deck

Great crowd and atmosphere too

We're back!

just watching some of the highlights - how the hell did Butcher stay on the park? Even after his assault on Fraser, which all of the pundits were convinced was a red, his two footed lunge on Banzo in the box was shocking. And we end with 3 yellows!! Craig Thomson - Scotland's No1 ref???

• Like 1

I thought we were excellent. None of the players seemed overawed by the occasion and basically they played the same way as last season. Plenty of good passing, although we didn't create as much as I would've liked there was plenty to be positive about. I think the swirling wind played a big part in the game which why there was some mistakes made in the second half defensively . . but overall I am encouraged and happy with tonight's result. We are now 16 points ahead of Hearts!

Great game.

Welsh and Fraser were absolute stand outs. Two brilliant players, especially Welsh who breezed through the game.

Craigen is a real prospect, hard to believe he has got himself this good with only a handfull of pro football.

Balatoni didn't put a foot wrong, Muirhead absolute rock in defense (needs to cut out a few stupid mistakes with pass outs).

O'Donnell and Sinclair played well enough, got forward - need to watch they don't get caught out but ran themselves into the ground.

Lawless is definitely our touch of magic this year, can split open defenses and caused Utd to have two players on him at all times. Yes sometimes he got shoved off the ball but he gets given it in very tricky situations most of the time.

Doolan for all his work just doesn't cut it, not who we need spear-heading our front line. Thought Baird, as with pre-season, was far more effective and more involved when he came on. Doolan just never seems to get more than two touches at a time, where as Baird managed to win the ball and then play it.

Going into County game I'd go with the same formation but swap Doolan with Baird. Very confident with the season ahead if we can keep this up. Still crying out for that top striker though.

• Like 1