Firhillista

think doolan, baird to a lesser extent, and ably assisted by our bombing forward attack minded players will do us fine ..... but if arche has budget for another player, he can get better for his budget than beattie

(taking into account issues with his injury proneness, weight, history, prolificness = 154 league games, 31 goals, over 10 seasons)

I'd give him a contract till Christmas. I'd also give Baird a start as he contributes so much more to the team than Doolan. Baird fits in with our style of having every player being comfortable on the ball and able to pass.

I'd be interested to see what Higginbothan could do as the lone striker. Think it could work quite well. Very skillfull, tricky player. He could create some chances for himself and make more use of the service I think. Only question is whether he has the work rate in him.

His career appears to be going rapidly downhill at the moment. Don’t think he will offer a contract without seeing him in a few bounce games to prove his fitness/form. He is the type of striker we need though.

On Baird and Higginbothan I think both could play the lone striker role but they are better suited to play off a striker.

Going for guys at 29 seems like going back in time now when Archies policy of letting our young team have a go seems to be paying dividends.

I think Players like Beattie have unfortunately got that fear complex already built in that Scottish football,the old firm and particularly the SPL nurtured for too many years that there only good enough for a relegation battle or maybe a top six finish. Younger guys just think they can win everything.

If Archie is still on the look out for another Striker I would prefer that to be another young unknown whose battering in goals in the English lower leagues, Highland leagues, Juniors etc.

See that McInally has suspended Rory McAllister for breach of club discipline. Might be a good time for us to try and get him. He ticks all boxes as far as we go. Proven goalscorer, big and strong, certainly different to what we have at present. Down side is that he just signed a 2 year contract so they will be looking for a fee!

See that McInally has suspended Rory McAllister for breach of club discipline. Might be a good time for us to try and get him. He ticks all boxes as far as we go. Proven goalscorer, big and strong, certainly different to what we have at present. Down side is that he just signed a 2 year contract so they will be looking for a fee!

What was the breach of discipline for?

I actually think Baird could turn out to be a quicker and more mobile version of Craig. I'm not convinced Steven would score more goals than him in the top flight, either.

Baird does seem more skilful than Craig - and Doolan too, IMHO - but he looks like he would struggle to win an aerial battle against a central defensive partnership of Willie Carson and Ronnie Corbett.

I think a forward with a bit more physical presence, as well as the ability to put the ball in the net, would add a lot to the squad. Craig Beattie, if fit, could be the man.

Could be worse, we could be talking about Kevin Carthorse Kyle

True dat.

I'm truly dismayed at the positive comments towards Beattie. This guy is definitely NOT the answer. Get a grip people. He's gash and pissin away a wage for a return of 4 or 5 goals would be criminal.

Why should people get a grip? I can't remember the last time I saw Beattie play, and I'm not meaning a televised game. So I don't feel I could give a definitive opinion and not having spoken to guys that have seen him play lately I'm no further forward..

If Archie deems the guy worth a deal he'll firstly have had to prove his fitness, secondly will have to fit in with the way we play, thirdly fit in with the rest of the squad. So if he's signed I'd more than welcome him.

I try not to judge players on their soccerbase stats something I agree is tempting when looking at strikers. But that doesn't include assists etc. And stats certainly doesn't take into account strength of opposition. I suspect Beattie is just training with us and Archie may just give him a cursory look over. Besides having seen quite a few trialist strikers over the summer I very much doubt Archie will suddenly now decide to piss away a wage.

• 3 weeks later...