How Many Times....

SussexJag

Have scottish teams overturned 2-0 deficits in europe?

Memory v poor but can only think of celtic 5 lisbon 0 in the 80s - an era when cold weather and stadiums was enough to see of eg portuguese. Cant remember adeen doing it despite some amazing pittodrie nights - nor the h*ns or arabs. Did dundee once beat cologne about 8-0 to turn a tie round in the 60s?

Sorry, not a thistle post i know.

Very entertaining if anyone watched. Much prefer games like that, where one team is just pumping the other, rather than have to sit through Man Utd v Chelsea play out 90 minutes. Makes the away goals rule worthwhile - euro games over two legs normally provide good entertainment.

Stokes and Forrest were crap and then pull out that goal. Good for Scottish football as they tell us. I enjoy watching Celtic's euro jaunts as if they win I think it's good for the country and if they lose I'm happy that they lost - win win.

Have scottish teams overturned 2-0 deficits in europe?

Memory v poor but can only think of celtic 5 lisbon 0 in the 80s - an era when cold weather and stadiums was enough to see of eg portuguese. Cant remember adeen doing it despite some amazing pittodrie nights - nor the h*ns or arabs. Did dundee once beat cologne about 8-0 to turn a tie round in the 60s?

Sorry, not a thistle post i know.

Abderdeen managed it in the 1983/84 Cup Winners Cup Quarter Final against Újpest. They lost 2-0 in Hungary, but won the return leg 3-0 in extra time with Mark McGhee getting a hatrick.

Listened to some of the commentary last night. According to the pundits, had Shaktar gone through, they would have been the worst team ever to qualify for the CL. Then this morning Lennon was claiming that last nights result was the best ever from celtic. Worst team in Europe or best ever victory. What's it to be?

As an aside, two Scottish clubs have overturned three goal deficits in Europe.

Name them.

Seem to remember Kilmarnock beating Eintracht Frankfurt in the 60s, 5-1 at Rugby Park after losing the first leg 3-0. Think Eintracht scored first in the second leg, leaving Kilmarnock needing five goals to win, which they got.

Correct in every detail. Well done.

Reason I remember this match is that Haig Gordon, chairman of St. Cuthbert Wanderers and a Scottish selector in the days before managers had that responsibility, was killed in a road accident that night on his way home to Kirkcudbright. South of Scotland League teams still play for the Haig Gordon Cup, in his memory.