Celtic Champions League - Money For Us?

Lambies Lost Doo

Does anyone know the details of the £1.5 million UEFA give to the Scottish game after Celtic qualified for the group stages? Does it go to the SFA, Premiership clubs etc? Getting a £100k boost would mean a lot to our club. Get some debt down and invest in youth would be my choice if this Brucie Bonus comes our way.

Think it works out about an extra £90k - only found out about this today - as you say, more than welcome at Firhill.

However, it does illustrate the massive financial chasm between Celtic and the other clubs - we get an extra £90,000, they get an extra £20,000,000.

Edited by Charlie Endell

The Cup bet me to it. I think the board really need to see it as an investment as a striker that could bag 12-15 goals could see as many as 1000 extra fans at home matches. Assuming this leads to a better season. I think our crowds have the potential to tail off if things go bad with only 1500 season tickets.

The Cup bet me to it. I think the board really need to see it as an investment as a striker that could bag 12-15 goals could see as many as 1000 extra fans at home matches. Assuming this leads to a better season. I think our crowds have the potential to tail off if things go bad with only 1500 season tickets.

Show your working, please.

• Like 1

why stop there? Why not get a striker who scores 60-75 goals a season and then our crowds will go up by 5000.

• Like 2

£150,000?

Get Lawless on a new contract and get decent striker in.

I see that Falkirk just signed some 19 year old dude from England that got a hat trick on Saturday. Surely not their 3rd quality striker in 3 years?

We need to see how they do it.

Or reduce our level of debt by £120k and get a released striker in on a £30k a year deal

Priority #1: New contracts for Lawless & Taylor-Sinclair.

Priority #2: A final summer signing (striker?)

Priority #3: Debt.

We should be making a profit this season - with the extra Premiership money, television money, bigger crowds, etc. that will make sure the debt is reduced without this money anyway.

Edited by ThickAsThieves

Celtic qualifying for the Champions League ensures all 11 other Scottish Premiership clubs will get a minimum of £150k from Uefa #SPFL

http://www.uefa.com/...id=1840934.html

2011/2012 example

I think this is true IF Scottish clubs comply with rules like, not playing televised matches the night CL matches are taking place. I think there is a row between the EPL and UEFA regarding this.

I've no idea where you get your figures from but I'll assume you mean use the money to buy a striker. That striker then scores more goals thus more people turn up and that in turn goes some way to wiping if not covering the outlay on the striker. I don't see any difference in that to a basic speculate to accumulate policy.

As I read it the player budget is preset. Any additional monies coming in whether it be a windfall payment or a cup run would not go directly to Archie but into the Club coffers. That may in real terms mean an increased turnover this season would strengthen the managerial purse but there's no way that would be immediate never mind before the event.

I feel one of the things Beattie & Co seem to be getting right is the debt management. For them to immediately increase the manager's budget on the strength of a windfall payment flies in the face of how they operate. They may wish to use extra funds to see the likes of Lawless and/or ATS on longer contracts but that would be based on purely commercial judgments involving very limited speculation.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

Priority #1: New contracts for Lawless & Taylor-Sinclair.

Priority #2: A final summer signing (striker?)

Priority #3: Debt.

We should be making a profit this season - with the extra Premiership money, television money, bigger crowds, etc. that will make sure the debt is reduced without this money anyway.

We only have 1500 ST's if form continues the growds will stay high, if not they will drop and don't expect big travelling supports from Caley, County; St J, Motherwell, Aberdeen, St M or Killie, lets not get carried away and ensure that we build a sustainable model and operate within our means whilst turning a profit and lowering the debt as much as possible, as the last point of lowering the debt will allow us to budget for more in the future

We only have 1500 ST's if form continues the growds will stay high, if not they will drop and don't expect big travelling supports from Caley, County; St J, Motherwell, Aberdeen, St M or Killie, lets not get carried away and ensure that we build a sustainable model and operate within our means whilst turning a profit and lowering the debt as much as possible, as the last point of lowering the debt will allow us to budget for more in the future

I think Aberdeen and possibly St Mirren will bring decent supports.

Where does that figure come from? It doesn't seem much bigger than last year's when we were in the first division and the only info I've seen on OS is that at one point 39% of tickets sold were to new customers. I know we don't have a huge support but I'd have thought we'd get closer to 2,000 this season.

I'm fairly certain we'll have bigger crowds this season. 3,705 was the average last season (which was very good). We'll get 4,000 minimum this time around. St. Mirren will bring more than Dumbarton, Kilmarnock will bring more than Cowdenbeath, Celtic will bring more than Morton etc. We budget for small crowds anyway, our board are conservative that way.

We'll get A LOT more money for our league finish. We got a pittance for winning the league. We made small profits over the last two (three?) seasons, we'll definitely do the same again as we haven't gone mental with the signings.

All I'm saying is this extra money, which is what it is, extra, ie. not budgeted for, should go towards contract renewals before servicing the debt. Especially in the case of Lawless who clubs will definitely be watching. We could invest £25-50,000 of that figure and get a bid of around £150,000 for the wee man next season. Or, we could enjoy his talents for another season. Win-win.

We're reasonably lucky with the fixtures. Two visits from Hearts, Hibs, Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and only one visit from St Johnstone, ICT & Ross Co. After the split could take care of itself if the matches are crucial.

btw anyone notice something rather odd with the league table? http://www.soccerbas...t.sd?comp_id=12

Show your working, please.

why stop there? Why not get a striker who scores 60-75 goals a season and then our crowds will go up by 5000.

I've no idea where you get your figures from but I'll assume you mean use the money to buy a striker. That striker then scores more goals thus more people turn up and that in turn goes some way to wiping if not covering the outlay on the striker. I don't see any difference in that to a basic speculate to accumulate policy.

As I read it the player budget is preset. Any additional monies coming in whether it be a windfall payment or a cup run would not go directly to Archie but into the Club coffers. That may in real terms mean an increased turnover this season would strengthen the managerial purse but there's no way that would be immediate never mind before the event.

I feel one of the things Beattie & Co seem to be getting right is the debt management. For them to immediately increase the manager's budget on the strength of a windfall payment flies in the face of how they operate. They may wish to use extra funds to see the likes of Lawless and/or ATS on longer contracts but that would be based on purely commercial judgments involving very limited speculation.

It may be speculative, but if we go on a run of not scoring and thus not picking up points, it is easy to assume our crowds could drop dramatically. I'm a season ticket holder, but the majority of fans who have been to games so far aren't season ticket holders. These people (not all but a good proportion) will be less inclined to come if we are doing poor.

At the moment, I think our biggest problem is not having a striker that can bag a goal by themselves. We have to do an awful lot of work as a team to produce anything, which isn't like most other teams in the premiership. With our style of play, I think a good striker could see us in the top 6. It can make a big difference. The financial rewards for a top 6 place (as well as maintaining our current high crowds if we are on a good run) is huge. I am not for one minute suggesting spend money we hadn't budgeted for, in the hope it pays a return by increased revenue - like L-I-B suggests I am saying. Archie has stated there is money there for two more players. Although he only seems to want one - which he has said is a striker. I'm merely reinforcing this need by suggesting that if Doolan and Baird don't find the goals (and suggestions to date from pre-season and first few games) is they aren't going to produce.

We have the money, it has been budgeted, all I'm saying is use it. At the end of the season it could turn out to be a really good investment.

p.s. I think saying our attendances could drop by 1000 fans if we are on a bad run is fairly conservative. I love to watch this team but if we keep being in 0-0 or 1-1 draws I can't see people flocking to Firhill.