Archie's Only Mistake

Jaggy1967

I don't think Archie made a mistake letting Stevie go but he may have made a mistake in not finding an adequate replacement. Baird is not showing anything yet and will have to improve considerably to prove his worth in the team.

On today's showing it was the wrong call to start him before Doolan.

No it wasnt, we were brilliant and won

I happen to agree with the op to an extent. There have so many balls flashed in from sincy and o donnel that last year son of joe was tapping in. I think we would have beaten Hearts if he'd been playing. And maybe equalised vs Motherwell. Who knows? But I do think he would improve our options if we still had him, but we don't, got to trust archie, he knows what he's doing.

This.

If Craig isn't good enough for the Premiership then Baird isn't either IMO.

And this.

Having a quick glance at the St Mirren v Jags thread and this one I see Baird is being made today's scapegoat. Finding it strange not just for the obvious reason we won and thus don't need a scapegoat but those slating him weren't even at the match.

I thought Baird's movement was first class today. He makes some really intelligent runs. He should have taken the chance just after half time and definitely needs a goal but think he'll be a useful player for us.

I thought Baird's movement was first class today. He makes some really intelligent runs. He should have taken the chance just after half time and definitely needs a goal but think he'll be a useful player for us.

I'm reluctant to be critical given the results since Archie took over - however, I think Baird's wage could have been better spent elsewhere - we need someone up front that will give us goals and I can't see Baird delivering.

What Craig was brilliant at was just stepping away , and peeling of from defenders in the box to make a yard of space for a tap in.Baird and Doolan aren't doing this enough.Baird's usual run into the box usually has him ending up between two giant defenders with no chance of a header and Dools never seems to check out of a run to change direction to make space to lose his marker.Neither are the biggest so they will both need to be a lot smarter in how they are operating.Its maybe not a new striker we need but a new forwards coach.I'd be hoping arch and shaggy are really analizing what is happening up front.I've never seen any Thistle team put so many crosses into the box for so little return.

For what its worth I think Craig would have had three or four goals this season by now.

What Craig was brilliant at was just stepping away , and peeling of from defenders in the box to make a yard of space for a tap in.Baird and Doolan aren't doing this enough.Baird's usual run into the box usually has him ending up between two giant defenders with no chance of a header and Dools never seems to check out of a run to change direction to make space to lose his marker.Neither are the biggest so they will both need to be a lot smarter in how they are operating.Its maybe not a new striker we need but a new forwards coach.I'd be hoping arch and shaggy are really analizing what is happening up front.I've never seen any Thistle team put so many crosses into the box for so little return.

For what its worth I think Craig would have had three or four goals this season by now.

Craig would never have been given the same amount of time by the opposition as the SPL is far faster than the first

Craig would never have been given the same amount of time by the opposition as the SPL is far faster than the first

I tend to agree with you but at the same time I think the argument for retaining Craig may well have some merit. I'm fairly sure Archie didn't offer him a contract due to his age and the fact he'd need to be playing regularly to retain match fitness. Archie might have done otherwise if he knew he wasn't going to get someone in offering something similar.Someone younger and able to come and go in the team easier.

Using hindsight perhaps Archie doesn't even know if he made the right decision. As I've said I feel on balance he was correct but can easily see why others will disagree. What I can't understand is the logic behind folk using the fact that if Baird or Doolan don't get their name on the scoresheet, regardless of how they play, that Craig or A N Other (the mystery big strong guaranteeing X goals a season striker) would've scored additional goals. I find that thinking almost as mysterious as the mystery striker's identity.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Thought When we played Cowdenbeth, Kane Hemmings looked good took his goal very well scored 6 goals already, should we have signed him?

Well of the trialist forwards I saw in the pre-season games, he was the best. But presumably not what Archie was looking for. He scored Cowdenbeath's winner yesterday.

To be honest, that is exactly what we need just now.

Ach away. We don't need anything. We're walking this league.

It's not like he's a revelation. We've all seen him. He was a decent player for us last season but he wasn't anything special. I think it's just because he plays in England that everyone suddenly rates him more highly. Anyway, we know nothing about behind the scenes, how much he was paid, how he fitted with the squad, what his personal situation was. All sorts of potential reasons why it may not have suited.

Edited by allyo

Looking at Craig's goals for us onutube you can see clearly what he does that Dools and Baird dont.Before the ball comes to him he steps back away from his marker or sharply changed the angle of his run.He always seemed to be standing in a yard of free space when he scored Dools, of course, scored plenty for us but a lot of these were running straight in on goals.As I said before a bit of good forward coaching might improve both Baird and Dools out of sight.