Alcohol Ban Review?

peagreenboy

I'm all for it. Only two clubs would ruin it for the others.

Bring it back next season as a trial in Leagues One and Two (assuming the Zombies achieve promotion out of those leagues). This would provide a little income for clubs supposedly left behind by the so-called league reconstruction.

To be honest I'm not sure about this. So the idea is someone can get four or five pints before going to the game, then maybe add a couple during it and why not a few after and be a boozed fueled idiot for longer. I'm not saying that the majority wouldn't drink responsibly but given the state our nation is in, in terms of alcohol consumption is this a good idea? Can you imagine the queues as well. Would stewards still continue to search you bags which is only legal due to the current law. Will this attract more fans to the game? Is there someone out there who thinks "Aye, I'm going to Cappielow fae now on so I can get a drink?"

As for Old Firm games really would you want this? Would the police want this? Is this for real football fans or is it just for the non fans in the executive lounge who don't really want to watch the game anyway?

However, if it goes ahead, mine's a lager!

Maybe I missed it but as far as I can remember the sale of alcohol inside football grounds (apart from hospitality) has never been allowed. The only ban that's occurred is drinking inside a ground not permitted (ie bringing in a carry out)..Like posted earlier I can find no fault with allowing the sale of alcohol inside a football stadium with the exception of Ibrox & Parkhead, two clubs that don't deserve to be part of an experimental period. Maybe it would also be prudent to only allow alcohol sales in the home areas of a stadium at first anyway. If there were to be problems that would interest the police then I believe they would more than likely involve away fans.

Tho' I'm in favour of alcohol being permitted to be sold that's more in principle. From a personal point of view and this from one who's no stranger in having to lie to medics etc about my weekly intake I'm not that interested. It should be noted that you can spend all of half time and still miss the start of the second half queuing for a feckin' pie so what chance would you have getting a pint poured?

We got a decent idea of what would this mean last Christmas, when Celtic visited Dundee for an evening kick-off. During the day they drank as much alcohol as they would get if they got a field day.

As TSL says, there would be only a few sinners but the rest of the responsible fans would have to pay for it.

It should be noted that you can spend all of half time and still miss the start of the second half queuing for a feckin' pie so what chance would you have getting a pint poured?

Do what theatres do! Order your half time drinks before kick-off then they'll be poured and waiting for you on a table in the concourse at half time. :happy3:

To be honest I'm not sure about this. So the idea is someone can get four or five pints before going to the game, then maybe add a couple during it and why not a few after and be a boozed fueled idiot for longer. I'm not saying that the majority wouldn't drink responsibly but given the state our nation is in, in terms of alcohol consumption is this a good idea? Can you imagine the queues as well. Would stewards still continue to search you bags which is only legal due to the current law. Will this attract more fans to the game? Is there someone out there who thinks "Aye, I'm going to Cappielow fae now on so I can get a drink?"

As for Old Firm games really would you want this? Would the police want this? Is this for real football fans or is it just for the non fans in the executive lounge who don't really want to watch the game anyway?

The logical end to this is complete prohibition. If someone wants a pint at a football game it should be up to them.

This topic gets brought up on here from time to time and I can't be arsed doing my usual big post on this so to summarise...

You should be able to.

People can get drunk already.

Some people will be more inclined to go along if they can get a pint.

Clubs can make money from it.

Existing laws are already in place to deal with people who are muppets on booze.

Just have a bit of faith in humanity ffs.

• Like 3

The logical end to this is complete prohibition. If someone wants a pint of mad dog or buckie at a football game it should be up to them.

This topic gets brought up on here from time to time and I can't be arsed doing my usual big post on this so to summarise...

You should be able to.

People can get drunk already.

Some people will be more inclined to go along if they can get a pint.

Clubs can make money from it.

Existing laws are already in place to deal with people who are muppets on booze.

Just have a bit of faith in humanity ffs.

Fixed for Uberpants :D

Edited by Chicofan

Alcohol is available at matches at all levels in England and none of the problems you suggest are seen. There is no more antisocial behaviour than in Scotland, there are no problems with massive queues as fans are there to see the match, not just to drink, as alcohol is allowed only within the concourse. People will not see this as a reason to drink more, in fact quite the opposite. For those that see a trip to the football as an all day drinking session, they see that they'll have to go two hours without a drink and will squeeze an extra one or two in before 2.45. The more that is done to restrict drinking, the more people are encouraged to drink. We need to be more relaxed towards drinking. Fans that want a drink might have one or two beforehand and one at halftime.

During the DC years we might have seen fans ignore the game and stay in the concourse and drink, but why would you do that with a team of our quality who score when we want.

Edited by twinny

Why would anyone particularly want a pint of sh/t lager at a football match? I'm not some Prohibitionist and I've turned up at a fair few games ( mostly in Inverness and Dumfries) pretty gassed, but even then I didn't think " ooh, I could murder a pint" . Football matches are fairly intense experiences, and throwing booze into that seems to me to be a recipe for impulsive behaviour and a retrograde step. What really is the point of selling booze at matches apart from 'increasing the revenue streams' (I hate that marketing speak....)

Edited by The Earl of Hathaway

Both Big Col and Earl of H make points I have to agree with. As I posted earlier I think it's fine in principle to sell pints (I'm presuming stronger alcohol wouldn't be on the agenda) but the practicalities, at Firhill anyway, would be a problem.

The cynic in me would say that the restrictions the police & SFA etc might impose could make the financial benefits of selling of alcohol of marginal benefit to a club our size whereas a worthwhile venture to larger clubs of which I can think of two. In other words there could be flat rate costs required before and after permission is granted thus making a net profit difficult for smaller clubs. It could end up that the only clubs profiting are the ugly sisters and perhaps indirectly Queens Pk.

Gut feeling combined with the experience of too many years employed within the licensed trade tells me that the commercial benefits of selling beer within Firhill would be limited and that larger clubs would fare better thus requiring us to play catch up.

While I believe our fans have every right to enjoy a beer at the game, and don't agree why that right is not permitted, I feel the argument that it would provide considerable additional income might be flawed

there was no reason to ban scottish people from drinkin in grounds. the only people who shid be banned are liverpool after what they dun at heysel. police shid take it wae common sense. if teams are being pricks, then dont let them drink. liverpool got every1 tarnished wae their hoolikgan brush. not everyone are scum bags like them

If clubs want to look to selling alcohol as a "revenue stream" then they should look at opening social clubs. The practicalities of selling enough volume during a match to make it a viable proposition are just too much. At Firhill they are having enough trouble getting pies and hot dogs right. What will it be like pouring a half decent pint?

there was no reason to ban scottish people from drinkin in grounds. the only people who shid be banned are liverpool after what they dun at heysel. police shid take it wae common sense. if teams are being pricks, then dont let them drink. liverpool got every1 tarnished wae their hoolikgan brush. not everyone are scum bags like them

Not the first, and probably not the last, post of utter nonsense from you.

Every English ground I've been in sells beer (although a few of them have shut bars in the away end when Cardiff are the visitors). The Glasgow Warriors have always sold beer even back in the days of sub 1000 crowds at Hughendon. They must be making money from it.

You could just as easily ask why do people buy shitty over-priced food at the football? People do. And £2 for a hugely inferiour pie than can be bought in any baker for less than half that price is much worse value than say £3.50 for a bottle of beer poured into a plastic cup that would have cost you £3 in a pub.

Clubs should at least be allowed to try it if they want.

So the 1980 cup final wasn't pissed up Scottish people, the trouble in Manchester wasn't pissed up Scottish people, the trouble at the DUFC Vs Celtic game wasn't pissed up Scottish people, the trouble at the Glasgow cup final at our stadium wasn't Scottish people, there are 2 clubs fans that have been involved in these incidents and these teams (unfortunately) play in Scotland.

Liverpool were banned from Europe for a decade for the trouble in Heysel, up till now Rangers and Celtic have not been banned for anything........ there lies the problem

I think enough people get wasted before games that they don't need to drink during games. In theory only having drink in the concourse sounds an ok idea. But all it means is that every door is going to be stewarded against letting people through with drink. I agree when you're at a football game you really don't need to drink at the same time. Improve the bar so more people go for a drink before the game. Doubt selling drink is that profitable in the quantities we're talking about. Plus it just means people won't buy as much other produce.

I think enough people get wasted before games that they don't need to drink during games. In theory only having drink in the concourse sounds an ok idea. But all it means is that every door is going to be stewarded against letting people through with drink. I agree when you're at a football game you really don't need to drink at the same time. Improve the bar so more people go for a drink before the game. Doubt selling drink is that profitable in the quantities we're talking about. Plus it just means people won't buy as much other produce.

Who are you to decide if people need to drink at a football game? Why is it up to the authorities to regulate what individuals consume and decide what they need? There are laws already in place to deal with anti-socail behaviour cause by people being drunk.

Small clubs in England who sell beer aren't doing it out of the kindness of their hearts and makine a loss.

It's one of those things that a minority will make it impossible to work.

There are already laws in force to combat this minority.

• Like 1