Interesting Job Vacancy

ian_mac

http://www.s1jobs.com/job/498003828.html?mys1_eid=5s6a696ystz2r&search_eid=6735147763c22246z3r&vacancy_id=498003828&ref=alert&cmpid=jobalert

Not exactly subtle - I think we can all guess who the employer is!

I welcome this in some aspects, although we should have had this vacancy advertised in April and the office is in dire need of some direction.

However, where does this leave the work that Tom Hosie does? He's built the club's social media profile from scratch and IMO has done a tremendous job with pretty much zero resources.

Also, where does this leave onethistle? It's widely agreed that onethistle's marketing campaigns have been a success - again with virtually no resources to work with.

Will the new incumbent of this vacancy be working with Tom and onethistle or this the BOD's way of exerting their authority?

I think Ian sums it up perfectly, the work Tom has put in over the years for the club, for nothing should be admired and certainly not taken for granted.

It's an interesting job title. The irony being that all the things within the role were already covered last season by OneThistle, successfully.

Is the job to do the things the volunteers did, under the OneThistle banner, or is the role to manage the volunteers doing these jobs? Either way removing the need for OneThistle really.

Tom Hosie's a huge asset to the club. Gets the tone of the club's Twitter just right and runs the website really well. Hope his role isn't diminished.

Understandable we'd want a new PR though. Michelle Evans has never really been replaced, and she was meant to be very popular with journalists. Being easy to deal with makes a huge difference in the sort of press a team/company gets.

I think Ian sums it up perfectly, the work Tom has put in over the years for the club, for nothing should be admired and certainly not taken for granted.

It's an interesting job title. The irony being that all the things within the role were already covered last season by OneThistle, successfully.

Is the job to do the things the volunteers did, under the OneThistle banner, or is the role to manage the volunteers doing these jobs? Either way removing the need for OneThistle really.

Not a remit a paid employee would relish. The "should be a supportive, empathetic individual who can nurture and develop individuals at various levels" hints more at association rather than chain of command.

I'd suggest there's enough work to be going on with, mainly regarding the oft mentioned things left undone over the summer, without interfering with any of the voluntary stuff that appears fine. We can all read too much into the wording of the remit but so much more will be down to quality and character of whoever gets the job.

The main point here isnt whether the new posts are replacing volunteers. They should be complementing each other. As has been mentioned in previous posts when one thistle were asked what had happened to their excellent match and thistle promotional work. Ian suggested that maybe they're fed up doing work that others are or should be paid for. The club cant rely on individuals apparently deciding they wont do things because decisions weren't to their favour or that promises weren't kept.

The main point here isnt whether the new posts are replacing volunteers. They should be complementing each other. As has been mentioned in previous posts when one thistle were asked what had happened to their excellent match and thistle promotional work. Ian suggested that maybe they're fed up doing work that others are or should be paid for. The club cant rely on individuals apparently deciding they wont do things because decisions weren't to their favour or that promises weren't kept.

Think that's a tad un-fair from what I've seen the club were happy to let OneThistle come in and improve a crap match day experience and have surpassed anything we thought could happen in 1 season, but it appears that when the club is up with the big boys and a bigger guaranteed cash prize the club doesn't find them important anymore

My post isn't a dig at one thistle or indeed Ian, more that a huge amount has been said over the summer on this forum about how the club need to professionalise...they would apear to be doing that. Also i was highlighting a post (made by Ian himself) which shows one of the problems (sometimes) of volunteers carrying out important roles.

• Like 1