Rainbow Laces

allyo

I would like to see the Thistle players take this on. I wonder if they will, and how this will generally be received.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/24104250

Seems that football's stuck in the dark ages on this but I like to belive that Thistle represents a more progressive, "live-and-let-live" way of thinking. And I reckon they'd go well with our strip.

It seems the 'Kick Racism Out' t-shirts didn't really do much considering the concerns raised in the EPL last year. I don't know what gestures like this really achieve.

Normally I would agree, there's little point in empty gestures. This just seems like something that's never been addressed in football, is way behind society, and has to start somewhere. Would be nice to think that players, as individuals or as a group, would choose to do it.

It wouldn't be an empty gesture to a young guy keeping a secret and terrified of what his team mates might think if it ever got out.

Edited by allyo

Do fans at Scotland games still sing "We hate Jimmy Hill, he's a p**f"? Was it sung at Trafalgar Square and Wembley last month?

I haven't heard it at a game for ages. Haven't heard 'If you hate the ****** English' for a long time either.

Times have definitely changed to a degree. I remember lion rampant flags for sale with the Jimmy Hill chant on them!

We have tried, I remember Joey Pathak in the mid 80's and of course we had Aaron Sekhon last season. However, the problem was they weren't good enough and as far as I am aware there has never been an Indian or Pakistani player who has made it to any substantial level in Britain never mind Scotland. I might be thinking stereo typically here but football has never been a large part of their culture.

Just a thought but why don't we have more ethnic minority players ? Thought we were trying to encourage Glaswegian Indians and Pakistanis etc to get involved with our club as supporters and potential players

If they are good enough regardless of their ethnicicity then they would be in with a shout, don't believe our club or any others (apart from the one that had the "signing policy") would allow race or religion to get in the way of ability, the same could be asked why don't we have more players who were born in Maryhill

People from that part of the world just don't seem to be any good at football, it might change in future but cricket is king on the sub continent both in terms of participation and spectating. Although you'd have thought UK born second or third generation folk from that part of the world would be into it more growing up in the UK.

I might be thinking stereo typically here but football has never been a large part of their culture.

Football is big in most cultures. A perception amongst minorities that Scottish football is followed almost exclusively by white males with an enthusiasm for alcohol could just about explain the relative lack of supporters from certain backgrounds in the grounds or at the boozers. That's not to say they don't support football. Regarding players, there is evidence that British clubs do not cast the net wide, recruiting in working class estates in the main. I read that, sons of professional players aside, Peter Crouch is the only British player in the top tier in England whose family were white collar workers. What all that means is that it must be very hard to integrate if you're in the minority.

We have tried, I remember Joey Pathak in the mid 80's and of course we had Aaron Sekhon last season. However, the problem was they weren't good enough and as far as I am aware there has never been an Indian or Pakistani player who has made it to any substantial level in Britain never mind Scotland. I might be thinking stereo typically here but football has never been a large part of their culture.

I believe you're right about culture. Mate of mine used to play cricket and according to him Scottish cricket leagues are full of Indian/Pakistan descended players. In fact they may be what keeps Scottish cricket going these days.

If we are serious about equality, then we should surely support this initiative. If I am being honest I have not always practised what I preach in regards to equality in sexuality, like many of us I have been too ready to engage in chants like the ones mentioned. Neverless, if even Ian Paisley can serve in the same cabinet as Martin McGuiness, I think there is hope even for those of us who have held unacceptable views in the past.

• Like 1

Going back a bit, but former Jag Paul Wilson had Indian parentage.

Where did you get that? Wikipedia? The facts are in this interview with Paul Wilson in The Scotsman.

"Wilson was born in India to a Dutch-Portuguese mother and a Scottish father. He was, therefore, the only non-white player to be granted senior representation for Scotland in the 20th century... Born in Bangalore, where his RAF-stationed father met his mother, he came to Glasgow as a one-year-old..."

"I got terrible abuse from Rangers supporters – but no other fans – whether we were playing them at Parkhead, Ibrox or Hampden"... There would be chants of ‘Wilson’s a darkie’ and then it would come back ‘Oh, I’d rather be a darkie than a H*n’. But I loved playing in that atmosphere and just laughed it off.”

Ironically, Mark Walters (the first black player to play for Rangers) got the same treatment from Celtic and Hearts fans. "Clips on YouTube make plain the grim extent of the monkey noises and banana throwing Walters' presence at Celtic Park prompted. Yet, though Celtic slammed the perpetrators, the Scottish Football Association remained silent...

Archie Macpherson, in his commentary for the BBC, was forced to explain a stoppage to clear bananas from the Celtic Park pitch. He did so by stating, matter-of-factly: "The game has been slightly held up… some assortment of fruit has been removed… you can see it in front of the Jungle."

Two weeks later, Rangers faced Hearts at Tynecastle and Walters was struck by a banana and was met with what the Glasgow Herald described as "deluge of fruit".

Two cheeks of the same a*se!!!

Edited by kni