Saints V Jags

The Cup

Like against Killie I would expect that the players have put the bad result behind them and moved on.

Elliott has been very good and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start ahead of Lawless.

Hopefully Osbourne and Muirhead will be back.

I don't see why we can't win this. St Johnstone's results suggest that they aren't as good as Dundee United but are better than Killie. Probably about the same level as us.

They have a goal scoring forward so obviously better that us that way. Their results have been mixed though - but that might have been due to a bit of reaction after getting knocked out of Europe.

However if we can tighten up up defensively - need Osbourne back in midfield - I don't see why we can't get a point. One or two players have been off their game a wee bit recently but if we can get them back to their best on the day then a win is not beyond us but it will be far from easy.

Assuming Bannigan is fit I would put him back next to Osbourne and move Welsh forward.

Fox

O'Donnell Muirhead Balatoni Taylor-Sinclair

Bannigan Osbourne

Elliot Welsh Higginbotham

Doolan

Edited to add I hear we got beat 5 - 1 off the zombies in a closed door game this week.

Edited by Alan Murray

I'm not a manager, so I'm probably talking p1sh here. Change of formation for me;

Fox

Muirhead Balatoni Taylor-Sinclair

O'Donnell-----------------------------------Bannigan

Osbourne Welsh Fraser

Doolan Elliott

Subs: Gallacher, Gabriel, McMillan (if fit), Higginbotham, Lawless, Craigen, Mukendi

Edited by brodieboy

I'm not a manager, so I'm probably talking p1sh here. Change of formation for me;

Fox

Muirhead Balatoni Taylor-Sinclair

O'Donnell-----------------------------------Bannigan

Osbourne Welsh Fraser

Doolan Elliott

Subs: Gallacher, Gabriel, McMillan (if fit), Higginbotham, Lawless, Craigen, Mukendi

Thank Christ.

• Like 3

LOL! Point taken but I'd definitely change to a system where we'll hopefully see more than one man in their box at the end of an attack

Our current system allows us to get more than one man in the box ...we play three men across the field just behind the striker (at least when we're going forward). If we're not seeing it happen it's down to players not making runs they should be to get in the box.

The same thing could happen in any formation - these days even if 2 or 3 players are played up front, you still 9 times out of 10 get all but one of them falling back to help defend. Then when they win the ball they have to burst a gut to get up and suport a lone striker. What matters isn't the formation, it's the players having the confidence and energy to get forward and support the one striker.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Assuming Bannigan is fit I would put him back next to Osbourne and move Welsh forward.

Fox

Bannigan Osbourne

Elliot Welsh Higginbotham

Doolan

Edited to add I hear we got beat 5 - 1 off the zombies in a closed door game this week.

If it was their first against our kids,and it would have had to been our kids,then no big deal.

Edited by Keiththejag

Wouldn't change the team about too much. The formation we are playing suits us but teams have figured out if they press O'Donnell and Taylor-Sinclair we are limited going forward. Elliot definitely deserves a start! He is direct and a great presence which we can lack! Still don't think Welsh or Bannigan are 100% fit, I'd give both a rest and bring in Fraser and Forbes. Thought Fraser looked good in the games he played at the start, can argue he was at fault for the Hearts equalizer but he is still young and next to Osbourne think he'd be perfect.

Fox

Osbourne Fraser

Elliot Frobes Higginbotham

Doolan