Significant Anniversary

Exiled AusJag

Aye,my Dad,my 2 brothers and me.That was the best day.

Went to every game that season.

That season started with 3-2 win against deadco when Roughie saw a Derek Johnstone shot come back off the bar into his arms with 5 left at Firhill.

And it just got better and better.

I'll never forget how John Gibson ripped them apart repeatedly that day. That game is another one of the all-time greatest Thistle memories.

• Like 1

my mum (93 and can still recall the great day) and dad (now departed) had front row seats but i had to work that afternoon. the previous day i had lunch in the glasgow press club (also now departed) where i sat at the next table to davie mcp and ally macleod. i little knew it at the time but davie mcp masterminded the whole exercise using the salt and pepper shakers, ketchup and brown sauce bottles, glasses, etc,., etc., to explain the inexplicable to ally. the lovely thing is that when i was chatting to davie mcp at the ramsdens final he remembered that tactics talk on the table cloth as well as i did!

• Like 5

my mum (93 and can still recall the great day) and dad (now departed) had front row seats but i had to work that afternoon. the previous day i had lunch in the glasgow press club (also now departed) where i sat at the next table to davie mcp and ally macleod. i little knew it at the time but davie mcp masterminded the whole exercise using the salt and pepper shakers, ketchup and brown sauce bottles, glasses, etc,., etc., to explain the inexplicable to ally. the lovely thing is that when i was chatting to davie mcp at the ramsdens final he remembered that tactics talk on the table cloth as well as i did!

That's an excellent story.

I'll never forget how John Gibson ripped them apart repeatedly that day. That game is another one of the all-time greatest Thistle memories.

This.

Re 23rd October 1971:

Even the greatest wordsmiths from a range of centuries and life defining eras would be unable to capture the sheer magnificence of the great day. It was magic on a scale incomprehensible to mere humans.

After the triumph, I walked from Hampden back home to my then house in Cadder like a hovercraft that had strayed into the Bermuda Triangle; I had lost all normal comprehensional faculties. I existed in a bubble for days afterwards, joyously numb at what I'd witnessed.

I had only recently turned fourteen but was already a veteran in terms of following Thistle all over the place. As a born optimist I 'knew' we could beat them 'any time, anywhere', yet what we did that day, and the way we did it made me so proud to be a Thistle fan that I thought I was going to self-combust.

The greatest event ever bar absolutely none.

Davie McParland's Red'n'Yella Army. :fan:

• Like 1

Johnny Gibson is on my list of all-time favourite players. Another is John Buckley who was been manager of the Doncaster Belles for over 12 years until last month. We have been blessed with a few great wingers over the years.

Rod Stewart was No.1 in the charts. I do like a good irony. :)

And I think it was a certain Mr Dalglish that persuaded Rod Stewart to become a celtic supporter that very year. I wonder if his love affair with that team would have happened if he hadn't supported them before our great win. Maybe we'd have seen a red and yellow rod.

I work with 2 celtic supporters, and reminded them today of the anniversary. (One's my boss)

I was there as a 16 year old and still go the games, will never forget post match, my dad was a bookmaker in Kelvinhaugh and he could not attend the match as he had to work.

I headed back there to his bookies in Argyle Street (opposite Art Galleries), place was mobbed with punters all celebrating ( unfortunately a lot of them were blue noses) Glad to say my dad still around and is 82, I took him to hospitality at Ramsdens Cup Final.

Happy daze, the memory of that great day at Hampden on October 1971 will live with me for ever.

Mon the FIISELLLL.

AJ

Great tale :thumbsup2:

I was a member of the Press Club for years (tho' not as early as that) and can picture above well.

Fantastic day, it was the day after my twelfth birthday. Funniest moment was the team coming back to Firhill to find everything locked up.

I believed then that we would win cups all the time and as it was in the days before segregation, I remember the Celtic fans around us were completely gutted

It was a special day.

I remember asking a young Celtic fan I knew at the train station on the way to the game if he had heard Sam Leitch, the BBC lunchtime TV pundit, saying "Thistle have no chance".

Thistle just played their normal game - a bunch of talented young guys undaunted at playing Celtic who were genuinely one of the best sides in Europe at the time.

On the way out of Hampden,I remember an old guy (about my age now) in tears, hugging his mate - men in Glasgow didn't do that - and saying "I've waited 40 years for this"

I was 15 at the time - too young really to appreciate that this was as Arthur Montford said in his commentary " A once in a lifetime experience".

This.

Re 23rd October 1971:

Even the greatest wordsmiths from a range of centuries and life defining eras would be unable to capture the sheer magnificence of the great day. It was magic on a scale incomprehensible to mere humans.

After the triumph, I walked from Hampden back home to my then house in Cadder like a hovercraft that had strayed into the Bermuda Triangle; I had lost all normal comprehensional faculties. I existed in a bubble for days afterwards, joyously numb at what I'd witnessed.

I had only recently turned fourteen but was already a veteran in terms of following Thistle all over the place. As a born optimist I 'knew' we could beat them 'any time, anywhere', yet what we did that day, and the way we did it made me so proud to be a Thistle fan that I thought I was going to self-combust.

The greatest event ever bar absolutely none.

Davie McParland's Red'n'Yella Army. :fan:

Hampden to Cadder - that's impressive. It must have taken about a week. I was 14 then too, but had moved from Cadder to Bellahouston a couple of years earlier.

I was three and my old man took me in with the filth to that 4-1 game - surprisingly I don't remember anything from the match much to my annoyance - he tried a few years later at a final with Airdrie but I was having none of it - mon the jags! :fan:

As for songs how about we give the filth on Sunday a bit of ... 'you're only here to see the jags ...'

Edited by gianlucatoni