James Craigen

Jaggernaut

I noticed that once both Craigen and Banzo had been subbed, we didn't have that speed gun passing game any more. We had other dimensions such as Elliott's pace and physical strength, and Forbes's dead ball attributes - if any such opportinities had presented themselves.

Our core game plan modus these days is the speed of our inter passing mainly starting from the full backs - or should that be wing backs despite the fact we have a back four - playing the ball inside to Craigen or Bannigan then bombing on for the return pass while the inside men also release the ball then get into dangerous, hard to mark positions.

I like this set up, not just because it's a clever way to set yourself up, but because it requires a number of special players to carry it out; I couldn't imagine us being half as effective as we are without, say, ATS. This guy is something else and I'd say we've had very few like him in the LB position since Alex Forsyth. I also think SOD is a major component in the way we approach the game too. He has his critics, and his final ball sometimes leaves a bit to be desired, but he's one of the reasons we spend so much time in the opposition's half.

James Craigen is a vital cog in the Thistle wheel, no doubt. I'd like to see him carrying on starting for a number of reasons, mainly his speed of thought and sense of positioning; usually in the right place at the right time. Like a good few others in the set-up at the present time, he's not going to be with us for too many more seasons, but I'm enjoying his time with us just now and I'm sure our bank balance will swell a bit when the time comes for him to depart.

Totally agree, I think in particular Craigen, Sinclair and Balatoni all deserve real credit for the way they have stepped up their game for the top flight. Everyone has done exceptionally well stepping up, but these three in particular have been excellent, more so because they were three I had slight doubts about but been proven well wrong.

Don't mean to be negative but I think Craigen gives the ball away far too much or has been of late.

Well you are being negative but you still make a valid point. I happen to think he's a very intelligent player (good football brain to use the vernacular) and that maybe balances out the weakness you point out. These assists are now too regular to be overlooked and that alone makes him a valuable player. Really remarkable given the level he was playing at such a short time ago.

Don't mean to be negative but I think Craigen gives the ball away far too much or has been of late.

As much as thats a criticism of him, he doesnt give the ball away as much as Sean Welsh has of late.

I dont know if Welsh is giving the ball away more, or if playing next to Osbourne is making him look worse.

Anyone unsure of the ability and vision the lads got, just go back and have a look at:

His flick over the defender's head followed by his through ball for our third at county.

His flick to set up higginbotham for our first at st mirren.

His run from his own half into space last week to set up doolan.

And his 1-2 with Higginbotham to set up doolan yesterday.

He's fast becoming my favourite player at firhill just now, doesn't hide, admits his mistakes and gets on with it. Shows great patience and vision in some of his passing. If he can add goals, he won't be with us next season, mores the pity.

Edited by potty trained
  • Like 3

Anyone unsure of the ability and vision the lads got, just go back and have a look at:

His flick over the defender's head followed by his through ball for our third at county.

His flick to set up higginbotham for our first at st mirren.

His run from his own half into space last week to set up doolan.

And his 1-2 with Higginbotham to set up doolan yesterday.

He's fast becoming my favourite player at firhill just now, doesn't hide, admits his mistakes and gets on with it. Shows great patience and vision in some of his passing. If he can add goals, he won't be with us next season, mores the pity.

close thread.

I do think that James is the most improved player in the past 12 months. Before Christmas last year, he was a headless chicken that ran around a lot to little effect. Worthy of a place on the bench, but likely to be punted in the summer whether we were promoted or not. Less than 12 months later and he is a key member of the SPL squad. I can't remember another Thistle player improving so much so quickly.

I do think that James is the most improved player in the past 12 months. Before Christmas last year, he was a headless chicken that ran around a lot to little effect. Worthy of a place on the bench, but likely to be punted in the summer whether we were promoted or not. Less than 12 months later and he is a key member of the SPL squad. I can't remember another Thistle player improving so much so quickly.

A worthwhile loan, you'd say, going to Forfar at the end of September til the New Year?

Things I like about Jimmy C...

He is a brilliant footballer.

He never hides.

He came from nowhere.

He loves playing football.

He still looks like he can't actually believe that he is playing in front of thousands of people.

He goes nuts at celebrations.

He was heavy sound in the pub at the end of last season (and he replied to my "get the lads down the Star" tweet in about 30 seconds after Falkirk).

Things I dislike about Jimmy C...

Naff all.

• Like 1

A worthwhile loan, you'd say, going to Forfar at the end of September til the New Year?

Very much so. I watched him against Albion Rovers at the beginning of December and despite drifting in and out of the game, he was comfortably the best player on the park.

As I said in another thread, a tremendous find by our previous manager.

Before Christmas last year, he was a headless chicken that ran around a lot to little effect.

Before Xmas, he had barely had a chance if you ask me. Apart from the Queens Park game in the Challenge Cup, he hadn't started a single game and his seven sub appearances didn't even add up to a 90 minute game.

The highlights of that QP game show he had two direct assists and was involved in two of the other goals, but a lot of people seemed fixated on him losing out in the midfield resulting in a goal from a wonder-strike.

He dropped out of the match-day squad when Jackie signed Paul Slane on loan and while his loan spell at Forfar most likely helped him more than siting on the bench, it must have been galling to find someone like Slane ahead of him in the pecking order.

However, on his return from Station Park he gradually worked his way into the starting XI and topped it all off with the crucial winner against Morton. James Craigen seems to me to be a great example to any young player trying to make their way in the professional game.

• Like 2

James Craigen seems to me to be a great example to any young player trying to make their way in the professional game.

^bullseye

like i described doolan in his goal thread, jimmy c is another who gives his all, never hides, tremendous commitment and complete honest pro, a magnificent credit to the thistle jersey (as can be said equally for a good number of our current crop admittedly).

love this team.

Edited by yoda-jag

Very much so. I watched him against Albion Rovers at the beginning of December and despite drifting in and out of the game, he was comfortably the best player on the park.

As I said in another thread, a tremendous find by our previous manager.

Although he brought him to the club,I think it was after a recommendation by McGuigan and it is certainly Archie that has developed him.

Although he brought him to the club,I think it was after a recommendation by McGuigan and it is certainly Archie that has developed him.

Both McGuigan and Craigen played in a bounce game against us that is when both were spotted. McGuigan really has not improved much were Craigen has.

I feel Craigen has a lot more to offer when he has had a few seasons of playing at this level, he is going to develop into a top player. He does have great vision and I see him establishing himself in the team now.

Needs to work on his heading, and not giving the ball away as much. Would also like to see him get into the box more. A goal would be a great boost to his confidence.

Edited by Alan Murray