Ciftci Gets Off Lightly

Willjag

Very lucky guy. I suspect that his red card being rescinded played a big part in the decision.

Exactly what I was thinking... The officials messed up the original sending off so he has now been dealt with too leniently.

However, it is good to know that raising your hands to an official probably carries a lesser punishment than doing the same to an opposing player :P

Edited by mhs

• Members

However, it is good to know that raising your hands to an official probably carries a lesser punishment than doing the same to an opposing player :P

haha. Good point MHS! I foresee Willie Collum taking a right good few hidings over the rest of the season. :D

Oh and meant to say "placing an open hand into the lower area of the assistant referee's throat" is pure SFA speak Are we take from that there's different punishments for upper and mid throat? Varied suspensions depending on the degree that the hand was open? Perhaps the old expression "greeting him warmly by the throat" has some historical significance and not just a figure of speech.

well it let's the referee's know they have to up their game. i think this has been a god send. This lets them know that there is little punishment for attacking them if the don't bring their A game. Keeps them on their toes. refs in this country have been putting in a half shift for too long. let them live in fear, will bring out the best in them. Credit where its due sfa. If it had been an amateur game he wid have been put out the game for life if he had a history for violent conduct, such as a sending off and might be even looking at a prison sentence. I've saw players banned for a year in the amateurs for spitting. It's funny how the polis get involved at an amateur game if someone punches someone and a barney breaks out but if it happens in the big leagues nothing happens? is this another example of the law favouring the rich? Any polis on here want to fill me in as to why they dont arrest footballers on the pitch in the so called big leagues?

Unbelievably soft. What would the punishment have been in amateur football for the same offence? Bear in mind it would be a branch of the same organisation handing out the punishment.

My mate got a six year ban for throwing red blaize onto a ref's foot .

I wonder what type of ban Chic Charley would have been given for a similar incident as Ciftci commited. Probally life methinks.

Could not believe this numpty got a 1 match ban for placing his hands on referees throat.

Here's the league rules for the Greater Glasgow Premier Amateur Football League - probably somewhere between 5&10 year ban - he probably wouldn't be playing the game at all in the Am's:

APPENDIX II

Guidelines for Serious Offenses:

Referee assault:
Maximum suspension of 10 years.

Physically threatening Referee:
Maximum suspension of 5 years.

Verbally threatening Referee:
Maximum suspension of 3 years.

Serious violent conduct -
e.g. deliberately kicking an opponent on the head
:

Physical assault on an Official:

Headbutting:
Maximum suspension of 18 months.

Spitting:
Spitting at or on a Referee is considered serious assault.

Deliberately and knowingly playing a suspended player under an assumed name:
Maximum suspension of 2 years.

Deliberately playing while under suspension, under an assumed name:

Deliberately and knowingly playing a suspended player:

Deliberately playing or participating while under suspension:
Maximum suspension of 1 yea

A
s a footnote I have to say that I find the MQ's comments very distasteful indeed - put plain and simply if there were no referees willing to go out and do the job then there simply is no game - and as someone who has ties in the juniors/amateurs the MQ should know better

The SFA should have banned Cifti for a year minimum and fined his scumbag club a small fortune to ensure there would be no repeat ... and to also bring a bit of consistency to all levels of the game for serious offences like this - there are 2 lads in the Glasgow GGPAFL detailed above recently punted for 10 years each - I'm
presuming
it's for the same type of referee assault offence.

Could not believe this numpty got a 1 match ban for placing his hands on referees throat.

Here's the league rules for the Greater Glasgow Premier Amateur Football League - probably somewhere between 5&10 year ban - he probably wouldn't be playing the game at all in the Am's:

APPENDIX II

Referee assault:

:

Headbutting:

Spitting:

A
s a footnote I have to say that I find the MQ's comments very distasteful indeed - put plain and simply if there were no referees willing to go out and do the job then there simply is no game - and as someone who has ties in the juniors/amateurs the MQ should know better.

The SFA should have banned Cifti for a year minimum and fined his scumbag club a small fortune to ensure there would be no repeat ... and to also bring a bit of consistency to all levels of the game for serious offences like this - there are 2 lads in the Glasgow GGPAFL detailed above recently punted for 10 years each - I'm
presuming

These are MAXIMUM sentences. Ciftci would never be given that for what he did.

Gary Fraser's actions in the U-20s could get up to a 5 year ban on that tarrif, but he was banned for 9 games.

Ciftci did seem to get very lenient treatment from the ref in the recent 4-1 game. He could have been booked for two separate actions that occurred within a second of each other.

Edited by David Stevenson

Gary Fraser's actions in the U-20s could get up to a 5 year ban on that tarrif, but he was banned for 9 games.

Ciftci did seem to get very lenient treatment from the ref in the recent 4-1 game. He could have been booked for two separate actions that were occurred a second of each other.

Fraser assaulted a player and got 9 games, Cifti assaulted an official and got 2 games, to me that doesn't sound right

Fraser assaulted a player and got 9 games, Cifti assaulted an official and got 2 games, to me that doesn't sound right

I wasn't at either game, but I believe there was an order of magnitude of difference between Ciftci and Fraser's actions given the comments on here by those who attended that U-20s game.

• Like 1

I wasn't at either game, but I believe there was an order of magnitude of difference between Ciftci and Fraser's actions given the comments on here by those who attended that U-20s game.

Not condoning Frasers actions at all, but surely assaulting a linesman should have got as large a ban even if the actual assault wasn't as serious, DiCannio got 11 game ban for pushing a referee, surely grabbing the linesman by the throat is just as serious

• Like 1

Not condoning Frasers actions at all, but surely assaulting a linesman should have got as large a ban even if the actual assault wasn't as serious, DiCannio got 11 game ban for pushing a referee, surely grabbing the linesman by the throat is just as serious

You'd think so, but it was interpreted thus: "placing an open hand into the lower area of the assistant referee's throat."

Ain't the subtleties of language great?

The sanctions I posted ffrom the GGPAFL were in response to L-I-B's post #4 to show the sanctions in the amateur leagues - and how they differ completely from the professional game - we're still kicking a baw about a marked pitch with a referee in charge so I just wonder why the arbiters of the game (the Ess-Eff-Hay) allow such ridiculous differences to persist at the different levels

The sanctions I posted ffrom the GGPAFL were in response to L-I-B's post #4 to show the sanctions in the amateur leagues - and how they differ completely from the professional game - we're still kicking a baw about a marked pitch with a referee in charge so I just wonder why the arbiters of the game (the Ess-Eff-Hay) allow such ridiculous differences to persist at the different levels

Point taken. Maybe refs feel more threatened in the environment of an amateur game than they do in a busy stadium with cameras. Also, while there is decent recompense for refereeing senior games, the £40 a game for amateur matches might not seem that attractive if the local association doesn't max out the protection it can offer refs?

APPENDIX II

Referee assault:

:

Headbutting:

Spitting:

A
s a footnote I have to say that I find the MQ's comments very distasteful indeed - put plain and simply if there were no referees willing to go out and
do the job
then there simply is no game - and as someone who has ties in the juniors/amateurs the MQ should know better

presuming

It's a job, they get paid pretty well, about 20 quid an hr, so u'd think they'd act like it. They know they're gonna take abuse. If they done their job properly no one wid want to punch them. it's an occupational hazard u might get punched becomin a referee, traffic warden, boxer, u.f.c. cage fighter etc. u know that when u sign up. Referees only ref coz they cant play the game so dont know how to apply common sense. That's what infuriates people. Some are arrogant an all and ask for it. Don't know how many times i've went up to a referee and politely asked him to explain the decision and he's told me to eff off, one time at kilbirnie told to f off ya f****** b coz i was playin for st rochs and he'd already booked me so knew my name was quinn. They had to lock me in the commitee room to stop me attackin that bloke that day. Everythin isnt black n white. u dont know what that linesman said to ciftci to deserve it. the linesman's not goin to put in his report that he said somethin racist or

It's a job, they get paid pretty well, about 20 quid an hr, so u'd think they'd act like it. They know they're gonna take abuse. If they done their job properly no one wid want to punch them. it's an occupational hazard u might get punched becomin a referee, traffic warden, boxer, u.f.c. cage fighter etc.

Not rising to your significant bait MQ - but these guys show up and take pish from a fair mix of decent blokes and functioning illiterate scumbags on a weekly basis and are always in the no-win situation .... as what's a stone-waller for one team is a shocking decision for another guaranteed to brew some sort of situation at half-time/full-time.

I reiterate that without them, idiots with anger management issues would be standing in baltic dressing rooms up and down the country with no game to play. What would help is that coaches/managers and players at all levels attend courses into learning what the feckin rukes of the game actually are - but that would involve reading and the dafties with an I.Q. of an amoeba just wouldn't be able to do it.

Your punch comment sadly says more about you and a regrettable minority of individuals at all levels of the game than it does for the majority who value what the referees offer us - even if we don't agree with them 100% of the time.

Edited by gianlucatoni