£20M Planning Application

Gaucho

£20 million does seem a tad excessive. But with other comments above if the club had the opportunity to move to a new stadium near Firhill and build an indoor facility for the club and community I would take that like a shot. Something similar to St Mirrens ground but with a bit more intelligent design i.e. steeper stands, potential for safe standing area like they have in Germany if that is every brought back, different size stands for more atmosphere, protection against cold and wet, better facitlies for food and kids etc.

"The new St Mirren Park, as it is known, was built by Barr Construction at a cost of around £8 million" - The Scottish Football Ground Guide

How much would the land across the other side of the canal cost?

How much is Firhill, on the "right" side of the canal, worth?

Why would we spend £20 million on a pishy wee stand and some flats?

Sell the land, build a nice wee stadium and proper training facilities, so good players might actually want to come here and stay here, and I don't know, maybe some scouts?

If there's any truth in the story we won't be spending anywhere near that. But if there are businesses interested in building flats/offices/shopping in the area then they could come in and put up the bulk of the money. Whether that would amount to £20 million I don't know but it's not a matter of what the club can afford - we can't afford much - but whether we can interest businesses with the money to come on board any project.

I don't think the plans ever got off the ground but I was jibbering to Cowan in a pub in Deadstone many moons ago and he was going on about Firhill being worth shedloads more than a patch of land across the canal and that it was a possibility.

Done well it would be quality, a more elaborate Almondvale with a sweeping bridge over the nolly, a fans area with bar and beer garden by the water, etc.

• Like 3

If it is for £20 million that will possibly be for the cost of the stand, and the projected market (Selling) value of the flats & retail units, but even if the flats are worth £300k each thats alot of flats, perhaps its a high rise we are building to replace the red road flats, what will be the red yellow and black road flats

A quick check of Glasgow Council's planning portal shows that no planning application has been made in connection with the stadium since 2010. That 2010 application remains pending consideration. In any event, any reference to £20m (even if it relates to this 2010 application and if that application is consented) is irrelevant. What you would be talking about is the development cost and even then, £20m seems wildly excessive for what was proposed. The football club doesn't own the land and has no more than a secondary interest in the development (insofar as it is entitled to a profit share should the cost of any footballing facilities be outweighed by its share of the net profit realised from the completed development).

This ship sailed years ago, and we're not on board.

I don't think the plans ever got off the ground but I was jibbering to Cowan in a pub in Deadstone many moons ago and he was going on about Firhill being worth shedloads more than a patch of land across the canal and that it was a possibility.

Done well it would be quality, a more elaborate Almondvale with a sweeping bridge over the nolly, a fans area with bar and beer garden by the water, etc.

Firhill has been my second home and i have many memories there (good and bad), but i love the place, despite it losing some/a lot of its character and charm over the last couple of decades. the last set of plans we had sight of were an abomination, and would further desecrate a once truly great stadium and the aesthetics of it.

as stolenscone has just posted as i type this, he has confirmed it is indeed, the 2010 eyesore that is still pending consideration. however, if any further desecration of our hallowed ground is to pass (as opposed to improvement and clawing back some of its special character), then i am of the tilting towards the view of uberteeb and others, where a properly designed stadium within spitting distance of firhill on other side of canal would be best way forward.

we should either maximise selling off all of firhill (and thus have biggest possible pot to go to funding a new home, with more possible income streams)), or sell no more of it, stop selling sections bit by bit, and resolve to make it a once great stadium again (and likewise maximise all potential revenue streams).

• Like 3

Sorry to put a damper on all the excitement about a move to the other side of the canal, but whatever amount could be raised from the sale of Firhill, most of it would have to be spent paying for the re-routing of the overhead power lines that run above that piece of ground...

Such re-routing is probably unfeasible in any case.

Plus, that ground ain't exactly level...

Edited by ScottyDFA

Sorry to put a damper on all the excitement about a move to the other side of the canal, but whatever amount could be raised from the sale of Firhill, most of it would have to be spent paying for the re-routing of the overhead power lines that run above that piece of ground...

Such re-routing is probably unfeasible in any case.

Plus, that ground ain't exactly level...

The Famous Canal Slope???