Sellick

sandbank boy

I agree, but if they are our best representative, where does that leave us and the rest of Scottish football?

I'd be more concerned if the Celtic team was packed with Scots. Stein would be spinning in his grave if that was the case. If in the unlikely situation that Celtic, starting as they did with 10 foreign players, pulled off some miracle win tonight I can't really see how that would bring credit to Scottish football. Perhaps fleeting recognition but nothing sustainable.

• Like 4

I agree, but if they are our best representative, where does that leave us and the rest of Scottish football?

Miles behind nearly everyone.

We think more of size and strength here and i have seen posts on this very site moaning at the lack of this in the Thistle team but other countries rely on technique and size and strength comes after this.

If you can't pass the ball or control the ball you will have no chance in the modern game

This is the basics we need to learn to do well and it's happening slowly with the new youth development that's in place now in Scotland but this will take years and as usual is restricted a bit by lack of finances..

Teams like Barca can take the ball in tight situations in the midfield where in Scotland we would say it was too tight to make the pass in the first place.

They have great movement, great technique, great teamwork and great fitness levels which is all about hard work and how these players have been developed in the youth set ups.

One of things i started doing at games is to count how many passes a team make before they lose the ball and it's ridiculous at how many can't string more than 3 passes together in Scottish football.

Thistle are actually one of the beter teams for retaining the ball and we need to stop lumping the ball up the pitch and try to develop more football players with good technical ability who can retain the ball and not be frightened to do this.. (some make careers in football here but can't even do the basics right which is ridiculous)

Too many clubs will look at the big strong athletic boy (early developer) over the smaller more technically gifted boy but when these boys reach say 16/17 yrs old the smaller player who has now grown is still a better player than the big athlete but has not had the same amount of coaching development as the clubs didn't take him on due to his size etc.

It's amazing how many clubs don't want to LOSE games at Youth Development football when it's not meant to be competitive and all about Development but they still want to fill the team with big strong boys to win matches which isn't right.

So many boys are overlooked in the Scottish game due to them not fitting the big athlete criteria.

My own lad is loving his football at Thistle and is alowed to play a style of football that suits his game which is more technical than brute strength.

While others dithered wondering if he was big enough Thistle didn't hesitate asking him into the club which was great for him and showed us what Thistle were about and so far it's been great.

Clubs like Thistle and some others are bucking the trend and you have got to admire these teams for how they want their teams to play.and the type of players they want to develop.

Scottish football won't get better overnight and will take years but we must get back to getting the basics right and letting the talent that we do have express themselves instead of dinosaur coaches ruining these boys by coaching this natural talent out of them.

At a Thistle 20's game i told my son that we should do the passing count thing and he would see how bad teams are at it.

Thistle only went on to do a 19 pass move before a shot went just wide so maybe Thistle were not the best example to use :)

Someone behind us kept shouting "Get it up the Park" and this is the folk that need educated as our game is going nowhere with that type of football.

Crowds are dwindling and the product isn't the best and it's something that needs addressed but this will take time.

Football is about winning but it's also about entertainment and i would much rather watch football the way Thistle try to play it than teams that just lump everything forward for those big athletes to chase after.

The other thing is the set ups both Old firm clubs have are as good as anything out there but the both of them have failed the Scottish youth players at each club over the years and developed next to nothing which is a poor show from both clubs.

Apologies for the long rant :D

Edited by billko
  • Like 15

Last night my Celtic mate was bemoaning how the bigger teams in Europe are too rich and that Celtic can never compete with them.

Welcome to our world.

Depressingly the most we can ever dream about would be qualifying for Europe or a cup win. Celtic can only ever dream about getting to the last 16 of the CL. Football has stagnated across all levels, the only real movement in the past decade have been the likes of Chelsea, Man City and PSG, the only other possible movement would be some Russian teams and Monaco. Basically you're stuffed unless you get some multi-billionaire taking over. I'd love it is Southampton and Everton came in the top 4 this year if only to make the Champions League slightly less dull.

No need to apologise for a great post billko.

That was the shortened version :D

Excellent post Bilko. I just hope that Thistle - and the other clubs that are trying to coach the right way - don't lose their nerve and keep pursuing the same footballing ideals throughout their youth teams, and their first team.

We can only hope teams like Thistle hold their nerve and are able to reap the rewards of what they are trying to do with regards playing style and investment in youth.

• Like 1