Munro's, Great Western Road

Charlie Endell

A year after the Beatles split Evan Williams, Davie Hay, Jimmy Johnstone, Dixie Deans and Lou Macari opened the lounge - it was also the last time the pipes were cleaned.

I'm assuming you know who owns Munro's and where the sponsor (own shares) then???

The captains as it was (and Pharaohs before) was always a Rangers shop with Wintergills (Andross before) a Celtic shop, never had any problem in either of them as a Jag except after an OF game or when we have played them (And been in both bars since I was about 5 years old as my family lived above Wintergills)

Edited by Norgethistle

Lets just say there allegiances are to over the south side

All makes sense now.

Mr Endell it seems has moved on from his Livingston obsession and has replaced it with an obsession of the S&G.

What an angry wee man you are Charlie. Very sad to see.

I hear there's many a yoga class to found close to your beloved Munro's. Maybe give that a shot? If not, maybe it's time for the valium?

All makes sense now.

Mr Endell it seems has moved on from his Livingston obsession and has replaced it with an obsession of the S&G.

What an angry wee man you are Charlie. Very sad to see.

I hear there's many a yoga class to found close to your beloved Munro's. Maybe give that a shot? If not, maybe it's time for the valium?

I only call into Munro's for a few pints before home games - it's certainly not the greatest boozer in the world but it offers a decent alternative (clean and reasonable selection of ales / beers).

For someone who takes the bizarre stance that you can't offer criticism unless you deliver it personally you seem quite happy to dish out personal abuse.

I only call into Munro's for a few pints before home games - it's certainly not the greatest boozer in the world but it offers a decent alternative (clean and reasonable selection of ales / beers).

For someone who takes the bizarre stance that you can't offer criticism unless you deliver it personally you seem quite happy to dish out personal abuse.

You started the thread by calling the S&G a "jakeshole" which insinuates anyone who drinks in it is a Jake, it was you by starting it this way who made it personal to anyone who drinks in the S&G

"This is now my pre and post-match watering hole - advertises that Thistle fans are welcome and usually a good few Thistle tops to be seen - friendly pub, three real ales on offer and efficient service - a pleasant alternative to jakeholes like the S&G. "

Edited by Norgethistle

You started the thread by calling the S&G a "jakeshole" which insinuates anyone who drinks in it is a Jake, it was you by starting it this way who made it personal to anyone who drinks in the S&G

"This is now my pre and post-match watering hole - advertises that Thistle fans are welcome and usually a good few Thistle tops to be seen - friendly pub, three real ales on offer and efficient service - a pleasant alternative to jakeholes like the S&G. "

I insinuated no such thing - it is a jakey pub - however, that does not mean that everyone that drinks in it is a jake. I've drunk in plenty of jakey pubs - I'm even fond of some of them.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Just friendly advice Chas, which I would be happy to expand upon over a pint in Munro's, the S&G or any of these "jakeholes" that you're fond of. :thumbsup2:

Only a personal opinion but would rather give my money to pubs who want to and be part of something that we are trying to create at Firhill whether that be through sponsorship,corporate hospitality or advertising like Roxy,Big Slope,Brass Monkey etc . Maclays Inns were asked if they wanted to be part of what we were trying to create but declined as is their prerogative but deemed it ok to give out fliers at the Catering Stalls. Is that right ? seems the only part they want is your money !!

Yesterday it was pretty busy before the game and the pub just about emptied 10 / 15 minutes before k.o..

I'm not entirely convinced of that, well it certainly wasn't around 2pm while I was there. As usual on a Saturday I started off in Coopers around 1pm. It wasn't too busy but kick off was two hours away. I like Coopers, it generally is easy to find a place to sit, stand etc and to get served. I drink Tennents, so I also don't need the whole Ale service that many oddities in this life seem to go Ooh Aah at, but there is a good selection. The other thing about Coopers is the TV screens you don't need to find a place to stand to see a tv and there's normally two games showing at the one time. so it's good for that too.

However, my nephew and I decided to pop down to Munro's to see how that was. I was a bit disappointed to be honest. It was only 1.40pm but there was only a few Jags fans in evidence, mainly centred around a round table, not sure which one was King Arthur though, sorry I disgress. There is a good selection of ales though and I was almost tempted to buy a Blackjack lager to try it but at £4.80 I thought I'd give it a miss although Tennents was only £3.10, so that was pretty good. BTW Prosecco are you trying to give us Thistle fans a bad name?

So we left and promptly headed up to the Star and Garter, which I probably don't need to describe to anyone but if you're looking for an ale selection it's probably best to give it a miss. However, I know Mr. Endell you like to describe it as Jake hole but do you know what, it is a better pub, as it is full of Jags fans and generally buzzes before the game. I certainly wouldn't go in it on a non-match day. I don't know many other Jags fans but SITB editor Fritz was there so I did talk to him (technically he is my boss , in the loosest loosest way). It was then that I spied my cousin whom I haven't seen for almost ten years propping up the bar. I said hello, he then shouted over all the bar staff to tell them 'I told ye, it was him, this is the baastard that's slagging aff Celtic fans in the fanzine'. They all ganged up on me and good naturedly gave me a shirriking (not sure how you spell that), after all I did call Celtic supporters the Great Unwashed in the previous issue of SITB. Needless to say I had a good time in S&G and promised to meet my cousin before the game next week.

Will I go all the time. I dunno, as football watching pub it's dire, as a pre-match build up pub it works though and has the advantage of being close to the ground. Incidentally I met a Ross County fan on the way out and he enjoyed the Star as he remembered going to it with his mum and dad years ago and was happy to see it was still there and hadn't changed.