Baird

GrantB

Lights blue touch paper.....

I've been thinking about this since Lyle Taylor signed and I saw Third Lanark make a similar point in another thread so here goes..

I think if we were to try playing a slightly different system with Baird playing just off Taylor, we could maybe see the best out of him. He seemed to do well for Raith when played alongside Gregory Tade and certainly caused us all sorts of problems.

damn you grant :crazy:

saw thread title and thought it was the announcement he was off to pastures new and wage had been freed up.

bad man. bad bad man.

Sorry!

Someone was on fellow Jags last night saying he's been made available for loan. No idea how much truth is in it...

• Like 1

I thought Baird was the further forward and Tade played thru from behind Baird. Baird has played off Graham and Casinalouvo(sp?) with reasonable success. I suppose his lack of success playing off Colin Nish last season hardly holds him to blame tho' it was at top league level.

I don't understand why John Baird should be favoured ahead of Doolan or Lawless but I agree that he may be more on his game playing alongside Taylor.

I thought Baird was the further forward and Tade played thru from behind Baird. Baird has played off Graham and Casinalouvo(sp?) with reasonable success. I suppose his lack of success playing off Colin Nish last season hardly holds him to blame tho' it was at top league level.

I don't understand why John Baird should be favoured ahead of Doolan or Lawless but I agree that he may be more on his game playing alongside Taylor.

I certainly don't favour Baird over Doolan or Lawless, just trying to figure out a way we can get the best out of him (if that is possible)

Sorry!

Someone was on fellow Jags last night saying he's been made available for loan. No idea how much truth is in it...

Baird has a 2-year deal and the club would have to subsidise his wages in a loan deal. It could only free up a bit of cash but not much. Would it be worth it?

Maybe Taylor has been signed to do the kind of job that was expected from Baird when he signed.

It´s been a few difficult months for any forward in a Thistle shirt, having to make chances on your own and not receiving enough service.

There have been a lot of games with loads of chances.

It's a matter of opinion whether Baird has had a reasonable opportunity or not. It seems fairly obvious though that with the signing of Taylor that Archie doesn't feel he was capable of contributing to the team upfront on his own.

He hasn't shown any indication that he is likely to play two up top either so it's unlikely other than injury that Baird will be more than a bit part player. I don't think that with the fixtures just ahead of us that it is right to think about tinkering with the formation just to get Baird in the team. I haven't seen anything from him so far to warrant that. On top of that outwith the Motherwell game the balance of the team recently looks decent so why change?

Do you know what's funny many fans were on here desperate for Baird to sign a year or so back but after 2 starts and hardly any game time since they all think he is shite! He has has scored more goals than anyone in the team

Hi John.

Unfortunately it's just not working out at Thistle mate. I think it's for the best if you moved on.

Do you know what's funny many fans were on here desperate for Baird to sign a year or so back but after 2 starts and hardly any game time since they all think he is shite! He has has scored more goals than anyone in the team

He has not scored for Thistle (despite having the best chance of any Jags player this season handed to him on a silver salver at New Love Street).

And that's what counts.

He has not scored for Thistle (despite having the best chance of any Jags player this season handed to him on a silver salver at New Love Street).

And that's what counts.

Well that's a lie!!! You seemed to have forgot the game Dools cleared one off the line lol Higgy has missed more chances than I could care to remember.

Baird isn't in the team because he hasn't been good enough to warrant a start not because some fans think he is "shit".

His record in the lower divisions is reasonably impressive however we aren't in the lower divisions, and whilst I wasn't one calling for him a couple of years ago maybe those who were looking for a good 1st division striker since that's what we needed then.

At the minute I don't want him in the team simply because currently we have better, when he gets on he needs to do better if he does he will be supported as all jags players should be.

He's not a scapegoat he's just a player who so far hasn't worked out, he'll ultimately decide if he becomes a favourite or not by his performances. It wasn't so long ago groans rang out from the JHS around me when Erskine got on the ball in his early years, improved form does win fans over not many fans berate good players so if some don't fancy him it's because they don't think he is good enough for the team. Many are not interested in what they did before it's what they add to our team and so far for Baird for many the jury is out.

• Like 1

And that's what counts.

You could argue plenty of others have missed just as bad chances.

He has generally only been given 10 minutes or so at the end of games. As others have mentioned the midfielders have not exactly racked up the goals - Bannigan, Welsh, Craigen etc Higgy has only scored once - if Baird got as much time as the others then who's to say he wouldnt have scored.

• Like 1

Baird isn't in the team because he hasn't been good enough to warrant a start not because some fans think he is "shit".

His record in the lower divisions is reasonably impressive however we aren't in the lower divisions, and whilst I wasn't one calling for him a couple of years ago maybe those who were looking for a good 1st division striker since that's what we needed then.

At the minute I don't want him in the team simply because currently we have better, when he gets on he needs to do better if he does he will be supported as all jags players should be.

He's not a scapegoat he's just a player who so far hasn't worked out, he'll ultimately decide if he becomes a favourite or not by his performances. It wasn't so long ago groans rang out from the JHS around me when Erskine got on the ball in his early years, improved form does win fans over not many fans berate good players so if some don't fancy him it's because they don't think he is good enough for the team. Many are not interested in what they did before it's what they add to our team and so far for Baird for many the jury is out.

Well reasoned post

Well that's a lie!!! You seemed to have forgot the game Dools cleared one off the line lol Higgy has missed more chances than I could care to remember.

It's not a lie.

It's my opinion.

It's your right to disagree with it, but it does not make it a lie.

It was a horrible miss for any striker to make - is that more accurate in your view?