Archie Must Stay: 12 Months In The Job

dl1971

And there it is. Exactly what I am talking about. The rest of your post was great, but the pretentious moral highground you occupy during that last sentence is a joke.

Every person on this forum bar none, want Thistle to do well! They just have differing opinions on how to do that. They are no more, or no less a supporter than you.

I didn't say they were less of a supporter, some might be business club members putting a few grand a year into the club, some might go away every second week, two things I can't do. Some might volunteer to sell 50/50 or programmes, some would say they are more of a supporter than me.

All I'm saying is they are idiots.

There's no one else I'd rather have at Firhill as manager. He knows the infrastructure inside out, every face every nook and cranny of the ground. Every single person at the club respects him. He's only a year into his change of career path, a route he wasn't really ready to take if you think back 12 months ago. I take my hat off to him and what he's done for our club. He's replaced a guy who after 6 months, fans wanted him sacked. But became lorded as a hero... He used to be a Tim but he's alright now... He had to replace his two best players in Paton and Erskine. He's done that with Osbourne and Higginbotham for Christ sake! He's secured a 19 year old from Bolton on a 2 n a half year contract. He's brought in a guy who, if can get himself "90 minute fit" will be one of the best strikers I've seen at Firhill. We needed an experienced Centre a Half, he's got one.

That game yesterday is what being a Thistle fan is all about. Sitting in the pub and the team line ups come out. Balatoni's starting alongside Mair... What about the midfield, who's starting? What, Fox isn't even on the bench? People are buzzing about going to Firhill, not because of the division we are in, but because we are exciting to watch.

That first 45 yesterday was some of the best football I have ever seen, we were unplayable, guys fighting for everything, keeping the ball, comfortable in possession, passing it about, with killer through balls. How often have you seen our Club play the game with such ease? We nullified one of the best strikers in Scotland! I'd pay 20 quid to watch that 45 again, in the stadium, Firhill was rockin yesterday! I had to catch my breath at half time.

We could have Pep Guardiola as manager, we'd still be a bottom of the ladder Premiership club at best. If a new manager were to come in, would that see GB losing his job, as I'm sure a new manager would want his own head of youth development? And then the 10 or so coaches, would they be replaced at Thistle Weir?

People want a new manager, people want us to win at all cost, ditch the pretty football, all so we an play in this division, instead of the division below? What if we get a manager and it turns out that's all he's good at, winning ugly. We could push for Europe with a manager that wins ugly. Imagine the fckin shame of being that bloody team that packs the defence and pumps long balls all day? Imagine paying 20 quid to watch that every week? Fck that!

We have a manager who in his first half season won us the first division title. We weren't going to do that under McNamara. This season, his first pre season, he had his chance to put his own mark on it. He chose his mark to be the manager of a team who, first and foremost plays football, tries to entertain. I don't want to lose this excitement, I don't care what division we play in, I've followed thistle for 25 years and this, this buzz? This feeling of knowing I'm watching players who not just want to, but can get the ball on the deck and ping a 50 yard pass across the park, knowing their team mate is there, anticipating it... And if he can't find an opening, He's got a pass on to move the ball into another part of the park? I don't want to give that up! I don't want to watch, win at all costs, hoof ball. Because we might not always win, we could end up 11th anyway, playing that.

So see this wee group that want Archie out, or want us to start punting it long constantly just so we can survive in the reincarnation of the self preservation league.... Make yourself more vocal at the games, starting calling for Archie's head and see how quickly you're laughed out of town. Idiots, every one of you.

I know we are only 20 days into 2014 but this has the makings of the post of the year!! Well said PT!!

Cliché Alert!

I'm sure there are some businesses that are not dependent on results but off the top of my head can't think of any.

Banking.

Actually, politics, PR, advertising - in fact, anything involving the old boys of certain fee-paying schools. It's not what you know, you see. :no:

I hate the football-coined phrasebook. But the Archie Out calls make me think of 'short termism'.

I don't remember ever watching the Jags when we could attract players who look like they're on the way up, when we could play flowing football like the last year or so, or when I came into Firhill with a real belief that we could hurt the teams a few places above us in the league.

This is a steep learning curve, but I think Archie is showing that he is willing to work hard, learn, give youth a go and turn us into a team capable of producing some good talent. I like it.

There's no one else I'd rather have at Firhill as manager. He knows the infrastructure inside out, every face every nook and cranny of the ground. Every single person at the club respects him. He's only a year into his change of career path, a route he wasn't really ready to take if you think back 12 months ago. I take my hat off to him and what he's done for our club. He's replaced a guy who after 6 months, fans wanted him sacked. But became lorded as a hero... He used to be a Tim but he's alright now... He had to replace his two best players in Paton and Erskine. He's done that with Osbourne and Higginbotham for Christ sake! He's secured a 19 year old from Bolton on a 2 n a half year contract. He's brought in a guy who, if can get himself "90 minute fit" will be one of the best strikers I've seen at Firhill. We needed an experienced Centre a Half, he's got one.

That game yesterday is what being a Thistle fan is all about. Sitting in the pub and the team line ups come out. Balatoni's starting alongside Mair... What about the midfield, who's starting? What, Fox isn't even on the bench? People are buzzing about going to Firhill, not because of the division we are in, but because we are exciting to watch.

That first 45 yesterday was some of the best football I have ever seen, we were unplayable, guys fighting for everything, keeping the ball, comfortable in possession, passing it about, with killer through balls. How often have you seen our Club play the game with such ease? We nullified one of the best strikers in Scotland! I'd pay 20 quid to watch that 45 again, in the stadium, Firhill was rockin yesterday! I had to catch my breath at half time.

We could have Pep Guardiola as manager, we'd still be a bottom of the ladder Premiership club at best. If a new manager were to come in, would that see GB losing his job, as I'm sure a new manager would want his own head of youth development? And then the 10 or so coaches, would they be replaced at Thistle Weir?

People want a new manager, people want us to win at all cost, ditch the pretty football, all so we an play in this division, instead of the division below? What if we get a manager and it turns out that's all he's good at, winning ugly. We could push for Europe with a manager that wins ugly. Imagine the fckin shame of being that bloody team that packs the defence and pumps long balls all day? Imagine paying 20 quid to watch that every week? Fck that!

We have a manager who in his first half season won us the first division title. We weren't going to do that under McNamara. This season, bhis first pre season, he had his chance to put his own mark on it. He chose his mark to be the manager of a team who, first and foremost plays football, tries to entertain. I don't want to lose this excitement, I don't care what division we play in, I've followed thistle for 25 years and this, this buzz? This feeling of knowing I'm watching players who not just want to, but can get the ball on the deck and ping a 50 yard pass across the park, knowing their team mate is there, anticipating it... And if he can't find an opening, He's got a pass on to move the ball into another part of the park? I don't want to give that up! I don't want to watch, win at all costs, hoof ball. Because we might not always win, we could end up 11th anyway, playing that.

So see this wee group that want Archie out, or want us to start punting it long constantly just so we can survive in the reincarnation of the self preservation league.... Make yourself more vocal at the games, starting calling for Archie's head and see how quickly you're laughed out of town. Idiots, every one of you.

brilliant

We have a manager who in his first half season won us the first division title. We weren't going to do that under McNamara. This season, his first pre season, he had his chance to put his own mark on it. He chose his mark to be the manager of a team who, first and foremost plays football, tries to entertain. I don't want to lose this excitement, I don't care what division we play in, I've followed thistle for 25 years and this, this buzz? This feeling of knowing I'm watching players who not just want to, but can get the ball on the deck and ping a 50 yard pass across the park, knowing their team mate is there, anticipating it... And if he can't find an opening, He's got a pass on to move the ball into another part of the park? I don't want to give that up! I don't want to watch, win at all costs, hoof ball. Because we might not always win, we could end up 11th anyway, playing that.

jesus that is a great post,

• Like 1

I don't see how going down would be a disaster. We are at best a yo-yo Premiership / Championship club.

We're getting off with automatic relegation because of Hearts but we'll be back in the Championship at some point soon. Maybe the year after next.

If we go down in the playoff it won't be a total disaster. We won't go back up automatically but we will be in the top 4 and get another chance.

This season has been almost the polar opposite of last season. I'm looking forward to it finishing wherever we end up.

If we finish 11th Archie deserves to the end of next season to see if he can get us back up.

I'm on a mission here as i sense something suspicious. Mr or Ms The Cup, are you able to confirm that you are the same person who posted this just three days ago?