North Stand Second Half

Ruchillnomore

I spoke about this in the pub on Saturday. I think that it is time that we changed the way we shoot in the second half. I think that in the second half we should play towards the Noth stand. Couple of reasons for this firstly we always play better in the first half however with the noise of the North stand in the second half it might encourage the players more thus producing more attacking play and less going into that usual shell.

Secondly and probably more importantly as has been seen over the last few games at Firhill when we have to defend the lead we drop deeper and deeper and get more anxious so not only the players get anxious but the crowd as well so rather than have so many people behind the goal venting their frustrations and anxiety all they would have is the bing and to be honest nobody would want to go near the bing. In all seriousness I do think a change is needed as I know that players should be able to deal with the shouts and all that but sometimes they can be a superstitious bunch as well so maybe its time for a change.....Thoughts

• Like 2

I have been saying this for the best part of 18 months.

As soon as we moved into the North Stand we should have changed they way we traditionally shoot in the 2nd half. We've always played into the "city" end in the 2nd as long as i've been going to Firhill and I can only assume this is because that was the end the home fans congregated in.

Even with the bing we continued the tradition, probably because the away fans were in the North Stand.

Time for a change.

I was thinking something along the same lines after Ross County and Killie. For some reason,there seems to be a whole lot more room for the opposition to play in in the 2nd half. SOD and ATS seem to push up a biit more early in the 2nd half , leaving space behind them. I have also noticed that we seem to win the toss every week as our opponents always kick off 1st

Been saying this for months!

In a way it suited us last season as we were able to demolish teams before half time.

Falkirk - 2 goals in the first 7 minutes

Airdrie - 5-0 at half time

Dunfermline - 3-1 half time

Livi - 4-0 half time.

But obviously that doesn't happen at this level.

I definitely think this would make sense and really hope that someone can get a message to the players about it!

I've never been in the North Stand and one of the reasons for that is that we shoot away from it in the second half.

If we permanently changed that I'd be more inclined to give it a go.

I would recommend it. Never really wanted to be there due to not having a great view of the pitch, but went for the first time last season in our 5-1 win over The Pars, and wouldn't turn back.

I'm really not fussed either way.

if we had cleared our lines on saturday we would have been claiming the North Stand was instrumental in keeping the ball out the net for Boyd's pen... under this idea he would have been taking it into the bing...

The fact is you don't know how a game will pan out and i think it is most beneficial to give our attacks the full backing in the first half.

don't underestimated what the north stand does in the second half, we back our keeper to the hilt and equally wind up the opposition strikers.

In addition would it be possible to put the lower away supporters back in the North Corner of the JHS? Even Killie would have fitted in going by the crowd of 4,000. I'm estimating on 3,000 presales and what looked like 500 away fans and I guess the rest being PATG home fans or neutrals?

We changed it last night and it didn't quite work, I would still suggest that we pursued this option at least over the next few games. One point I can't really agree with is that we successfully "wind-up" opposition strikers. Offhand I can think of Samaras, Sutton, May, Boyd, Thompson and Magennis scoring against us into the North Stand. Further, Liam Craig (another one we enjoy to wind-up) has scored into that end as well.

It makes no difference what way we shoot. There's clearly no advantage given we have won naff all at home all season. The 'tradition' idea holds no weight, why do we want to shoot into a grassy bank second half? In fact if tradition dictates we shoot towards the home end second half then we should be shooting into the north end.

Everyone in the North Stand would prefer to have us attacking 'our end' in the second half. It makes no difference to the JHS fans. Make it happen.