Video Clip From The 70's V Ayr

The Sunnylaw Jag

Came across this on You Tube. Not sure if it's been posted here before. However, the Jags do get beat 2 - 0 and there's no commentary just some mind numbing music. Interesting to see the enclosure with people standing in it. Also I forgot how thick the stripes were then. Enjoy . . . or not we do get beat at home.

• Like 1

I think that might have been the club's first ever game in the Premier League - the 10 team top league was formed the previous season and we were promoted after winning the First Division.

We outplayed Ayr, who were a decent side back then, but lost 2-0 at Firhill. I remember media comments about the naive promoted club being taught a lesson by their more experienced and streetwise opponents. Does any of this sound familiar?

In any event, we must have learned pretty quickly under Bertie Auld as we turned into an uncompromising outfit criticised for a negative approach and finished fifth in the League that season. Mind you we did have players of the calibre of Alan Rough, Alan Hansen, Joe Craig( Steven's father) and Doug Somner in the side. And Jackie Campbell too, a great defender - seeing him doing the half-time draw on Tuesday was the highlight of the night...but he looked old and really small for a centre half. Even from these highlights apparently filmed from ankle level, it's great to see Jackie make a series of challenges, blocks & headed clearances - that's how to do it Conrad!

• Members

I remember chatting with Jackie Campbell at the launch of the official history book and i was astonished at just how small he was. I reckon he must have only been about 5'8" - 5'10". Really small for a centre half but still won most of the headers he challenged for.

as much as I loved Campbell & Anderson, we still lost plenty of goals in those days!!

We lost 44 goals in a 36 game season that year - that's not too bad in a League including exceptional Aberdeen and Dundee United sides as well as Celtic & Rangers.

Are you related to The Cup by any chance, Jaggy? I thought this thread might escape his downbeat contributions.

I remember chatting with Jackie Campbell at the launch of the official history book and i was astonished at just how small he was. I reckon he must have only been about 5'8" - 5'10". Really small for a centre half but still won most of the headers he challenged for.

I seem to remember reading that he was 5'10". He may well have lost an inch or two since back then, of course. An absolute legend of a player; his move from an average right-back to a tough and classy central defender was a master stroke. I also seem to remember an Evening Times headline like "The Man Who Came in from the Cold". Jackie had been in some kind of dispute with the club and so wasn't playing, but due to an injury crisis and a shortage of players, he decided to come back and play for the team. Anybody else remember this incident? I think it was when we were on the slide at the end of the 60s.

Edited by Jaggernaut

We lost 44 goals in a 36 game season that year - that's not too bad in a League including exceptional Aberdeen and Dundee United sides as well as Celtic & Rangers.

Are you related to The Cup by any chance, Jaggy? I thought this thread might escape his downbeat contributions.

That is impressive, but we had a certain goalkeeper at the time who saved us plenty of times :-)

No idea who The Cup is

Let's also factor in that JC was part-time throughout his career with us; he was a draughtsman or civil engineer during the day (?). A genuine, dyed-in-the-wool PTFC legend.

His conversion from RB to CH was the handiwork of a certain Mr McP if I remember correctly. Jackie will have benefited no end from playing alongside Hugh Strachan, another one of Sir Davie's sagacious acquisitions.