James Fecken Craigen

simoncordiner

He had a good few games at the start of the season. Other than that, he's as close as we've had to Darren Brady since Darren Brady. Dreadful player.

Utter nonsense to compare him with Brady however he needs a spell on the bench....think you should stick to Deal or No Deal!

Utter nonsense to compare him with Brady however he needs a spell on the bench

Repeatedly passing to opponents feet: check. Blasting an easy chance high over the bar: check. Shoehorned into the team on a weekly basis by an overly loyal manager: check. Personally, I think the similarities are endless.

Repeatedly passing to opponents feet: check. Blasting an easy chance high over the bar: check. Shoehorned into the team on a weekly basis by an overly loyal manager: check. Personally, I think the similarities are endless.

Could probably say that about lots of players in the team Balatoni has been shocking and culpable most of the season,O'donnell has been a shadow of the player he was last season, ditto Lawless ,don't think an experienced player like Osbourne getting injured has done us any favours as even his experience would have helped Bannigan and Craigan. Don't think it's any coincidence that Balatoni has looked better playing alongside seasoned pros like Mair and Gallagher. Darren Brady came to Thistle when he was 24/25 years of age and played in the first division there is no comparison
  • Like 1

Craigen is in the team for his energy.

He's a box to box player. He plays ahead of the two sitting players usually linking front to midfield.

Bannigan better coming on to the play. Same as Osbourne, Welsh, Kerr, Fraser...

He is the best option we have as a midfield player for that position. We could play Forbes but you won't get him chasing back which is obviously what the management team are after from Craigen.

I agree he's been disappointing of late & where he's playing he needs to add goals to his game but unless we get Ryan Stevenson (very much doubt that'll happen) or similar that can play there then I reckon they'll persist with him.

My opinion, as I said before on other threads, we're playing wrong system. Trying to squeeze players into a system rather than play a system to suit your best players.

• Like 1

Looks like we've found another scapegoat for our team,if anybody had been at Parkhead on New Year's Day and watch Bannigan and Craigan absolutely dominate the Celtic midfield with their possession football that would totally dispel the lack of ability thread that is going on. Granted his form has shaded and maybe he should be left out for a couple of games, it's a learning curve for lots of these players ( he was playing university football less than two years ago), and if people are comparing him to Darren Brady probably one of the worst players I've seen in a Thistle jersey then they are seriously misinformed

Spot on

What is a Star n Garter favourite?

How do you reach this level?

Just pop in, have a few beers and you become an all time jags hero, who should never be dropped.

The boy has done really well stepping up from uni football to the top league, but some on here think he is a world beater,

Player of the year ect ect, I think it must be the beer goggles that some posters on here have.

I think he could become a really good player at this level, but needs another yr or 2. At the moment he is at best a squad player

But Archie and some on here see him as a must starter every week, no matter his previous performance.

• Like 2

Just pop in, have a few beers and you become an all time jags hero, who should never be dropped.

The boy has done really well stepping up from uni football to the top league, but some on here think he is a world beater,

Player of the year ect ect, I think it must be the beer goggles that some posters on here have.

I think he could become a really good player at this level, but needs another yr or 2. At the moment he is at best a squad player

But Archie and some on here see him as a must starter every week, no matter his previous performance.

Like balatoni, he was in the Star with Craigan and Welsh.

I'm confused, I drink in the star, I like craigan, don't see the big attraction with Welsh and don't think balatoni makes the grade.

Now that I think about it, Muirhead was in the Star with Christie. I like him Muirhead, and can understand why Elliott starts some games.

I must admit I haven't seen anyone define Craigan as a world beater or POTY etc.

Is this exclusive to the Star, I'm pretty sure a lot of the players mentioned also went down to the woody, did something happen in the woody that means everyone in the woody doesn't like Craigan?

• Like 1

Ridiculous the slating craigen is taking here. He has had some poor games, today being his poorest but I think he is vastly improved from last year. He never hides and is always available. Needs to work on finishing but who doesn't in this current team.As for the Star and garter nonsense. I was there when they were all in, so what? They were all nice guys but doesn't affect my views on what is best for the team e.g. I would drop balatoni and Elliot would get nowhere near the team.

• Like 1

I noticed that once both Craigen and Banzo had been subbed, we didn't have that speed gun passing game any more. We had other dimensions such as Elliott's pace and physical strength, and Forbes's dead ball attributes - if any such opportinities had presented themselves.

Our core game plan modus these days is the speed of our inter passing mainly starting from the full backs - or should that be wing backs despite the fact we have a back four - playing the ball inside to Craigen or Bannigan then bombing on for the return pass while the inside men also release the ball then get into dangerous, hard to mark positions.

I like this set up, not just because it's a clever way to set yourself up, but because it requires a number of special players to carry it out; I couldn't imagine us being half as effective as we are without, say, ATS. This guy is something else and I'd say we've had very few like him in the LB position since Alex Forsyth. I also think SOD is a major component in the way we approach the game too. He has his critics, and his final ball sometimes leaves a bit to be desired, but he's one of the reasons we spend so much time in the opposition's half.

James Craigen is a vital cog in the Thistle wheel, no doubt. I'd like to see him carrying on starting for a number of reasons, mainly his speed of thought and sense of positioning; usually in the right place at the right time. Like a good few others in the set-up at the present time, he's not going to be with us for too many more seasons, but I'm enjoying his time with us just now and I'm sure our bank balance will swell a bit when the time comes for him to depart.

Totally agree, I think in particular Craigen, Sinclair and Balatoni all deserve real credit for the way they have stepped up their game for the top flight. Everyone has done exceptionally well stepping up, but these three in particular have been excellent, more so because they were three I had slight doubts about but been proven well wrong.

Well you are being negative but you still make a valid point. I happen to think he's a very intelligent player (good football brain to use the vernacular) and that maybe balances out the weakness you point out. These assists are now too regular to be overlooked and that alone makes him a valuable player. Really remarkable given the level he was playing at such a short time ago.

Anyone unsure of the ability and vision the lads got, just go back and have a look at:

His flick over the defender's head followed by his through ball for our third at county.

His flick to set up higginbotham for our first at st mirren.

His run from his own half into space last week to set up doolan.

And his 1-2 with Higginbotham to set up doolan yesterday.

He's fast becoming my favourite player at firhill just now, doesn't hide, admits his mistakes and gets on with it. Shows great patience and vision in some of his passing. If he can add goals, he won't be with us next season, mores the pity.

An intelligent player.probably the biggest find at Firhill, considering where he came from. He has great energy.

Like balatoni, he was in the Star with Craigan and Welsh.

I'm confused, I drink in the star, I like craigan, don't see the big attraction with Welsh and don't think balatoni makes the grade.

Now that I think about it, Muirhead was in the Star with Christie. I like him Muirhead, and can understand why Elliott starts some games.

I must admit I haven't seen anyone define Craigan as a world beater or POTY etc.

Is this exclusive to the Star, I'm pretty sure a lot of the players mentioned also went down to the woody, did something happen in the woody that means everyone in the woody doesn't like Craigan?

That's just some of the posts. As said earlier think he will be a really good player in the future, but only a squad player at the moment.

• Like 1

Things I like about Jimmy C...

He is a brilliant footballer.

He never hides.

He came from nowhere.

He loves playing football.

He still looks like he can't actually believe that he is playing in front of thousands of people.

He goes nuts at celebrations.

He was heavy sound in the pub at the end of last season (and he replied to my "get the lads down the Star" tweet in about 30 seconds after Falkirk).

Things I dislike about Jimmy C...

Naff all.

JC was beaming like a Cheshire cat that had just won the Euromillions rollover when he came into the S&G after the Falkirk game. He seemed so genuinely proud to be a part of this Thistle title-winning team, and he sang his heart out for ages till he was totally jiggered (along with Elliott & Aero).

So full of life and full of Thistle. A crackin young fella with bags of talent, and I'm really glad he's part of our set-up.

players shouldn't go into pubs.

look at the carnage it causes.

Agreed I met jimmy Gibson in a pub in hamilton an hour after shouting constant abuse at him for being p*sh. I bottled it and approached him by saying I thought he had a Great game and that he was the only one trying despite him being a wee lazy Kant.

I felt cheap and very dirty that day.

Ok, so to sum it up from me, James Craigen typifies our season, one of missed opportunities. He persists in the first team even though he's not good enough. I don't really have any issue with Craigen, but that fact he's played week in, week out through a dismal spell when we've been desperate to try something, anything, different sums things up for me. I don't think there's a a single person on this forum who thinks either he's not being played in his best position or there's better players that could play in his position yet every week he gets a shirt. All season we've been crying out for a more attacking threat yet he plays. As an attacking midfielder, he doesn't score, he doesn't create. As a defensive midfielder, he's powderpuff in the challenge, he gives the ball away time and again in dangerous positions, he doesn't win the ball in the air, and he doesn't create space for other players. The argument that others aren't doing much better doesn't wash, he simply shouldn't be playing as he's not good enough in this system. We need to try something different.

Look at you quoting people who like a player. You've grasped this football forum thing with easy, Jaggymad.

What's the phrase I'm looking for, you know the one....

Car crash of a thread.

Must be a crash of a thread cos you never started it then PT. And just answering your original post with all the quotes. So you ask for prove and you got it. The boy is NOT a star.