Paul Paton Called Up To Ni Squad

jags on tour

A square go, did he? That wasn't directed at the Thistle "fan" who wished a life of ill health on his child, was it?

I remember that one. And people call him a throbber. He may be, but at 27 still learning about life. As are we all, Sadly I've had a lot longer to do my learning . I have though had the good fortune never to deal with some dick wishing ill health on my child.

Nope, must be a different time I'm not aware of. After the last UTD game at firhill someone wrote something along the lines of "Paul, stop acting like a ***** and remember where you came from" "don't quote me on that though. And Paul's response was "I'll be in the city centre later, come meet me and we'll see how much of a ***** I am" All a little bit childish if you ask me, but the point still stands, he has showed no respect towards our club or fans since leaving.

Sorry, but you think it was Paul Paton in the wrong here? Someone abuses him on social media and Paton more or less asks him if he would like to say it to his face?

Seriously - the amount of abuse that is dished out by people sitting behind a keyboard (or media device) that they would never dream of saying to anybody if in front of them is incredible. Then when the abused person challenges it they are in the wrong?

Paul Paton was a good player for Thistle over the five seasons he was at Firhill. He was the title winning captain and will be down in the history books as that. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but I really can't see why he is so hated. What are the heinous crimes he has actually committed?

Also, the player has dreams of an international call up - what's wrong with that? Whether he is good enough or not is another matter but surely it is good to have the ambition to go on and better yourself and play at a higher level? Does nobody on here wish to go on and better themselves in their career? Or all you all good enough at what you do already?

• Like 5

Sorry, but you think it was Paul Paton in the wrong here? Someone abuses him on social media and Paton more or less asks him if he would like to say it to his face?

Seriously - the amount of abuse that is dished out by people sitting behind a keyboard (or media device) that they would never dream of saying to anybody if in front of them is incredible. Then when the abused person challenges it they are in the wrong?

Paul Paton was a good player for Thistle over the five seasons he was at Firhill. He was the title winning captain and will be down in the history books as that. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but I really can't see why he is so hated. What are the heinous crimes he has actually committed?

Also, the player has dreams of an international call up - what's wrong with that? Whether he is good enough or not is another matter but surely it is good to have the ambition to go on and better yourself and play at a higher level? Does nobody on here wish to go on and better themselves in their career? Or all you all good enough at what you do already?

Like I said, it was all a bit childish, and it was hardly the most offensive remark the guy could have made. After all, the guy wasn't wrong was he? Do you think Paul showed respect to us in the way he's acted since he left? I certainly don't so therefore why should he get any back? Thousands of players have come and gone over the years, most with the best wishes of the fans, some even returning to firhill later in their careers. It's no coincidence Paul is one of the minority who's left on bad terms.

On his international call up, personally I don't think he's good enough, but good luck to him.

In my experience the Jags support are generally supportive of former players if they leave on good terms and tried during their time at Firhill. Erskine, Dorrans, Roberts and Lennon all recent examples of appreciative jags applause even although playing/managing the opposite team.

I generally have fond respect for former players if they put in the effort and show respect towards the club even if it didn't work out for them. If in the case of Paton, Grady, McNamara et al then it's natural their time here will be soured and respect lost in the case of Paton in my opinion he held the fans in contempt even when he was here.

Having said the above if any Jags fan did wish ill health on him or his family they have crossed the line and shame the Thistle name and should avoid social media if they can't refrain from this type of cowardly abuse.

His comments after he left thistle were patronising to say the least, and his actions since he has left have been nothing short of embarrassing, culminating in actually challenging one of our fans to a "square go" in the city centre via social media. Why have the fans not acted in the same way towards erskine in an almost identical set of circumstances?

It's funny how the most precious of fans can whine about feeling 'patronised' by his comments about the club but at the same time be wound up by his social media WUMmery. I think he's an decent catch for Little Ireland, he should be able to perform well enough against most 4th seed nations and below, and if nothing else gives a bit of depth to an otherwise pretty shallow pool of players for them.

Paul Paton at best was and is nothing short of being an average player. As for being remebered for his time at Firhill I do remember a lot of people being highly critical of his limited ability i.e. being only able to kick with one foot in fact at times it looked as though he practiced his control whilst being on a roundabout.

Best of luck to Paul on his International call up as Northern Ireland would obviously be the only team he ever wanted to play for. Lets not get too rose tinted about his overall ability and even more so about his place within the history of Partick Thistle.

Hopefully in years to come he will be remebered as Paul Who ???

• Like 1

^^^ harsh.

but overall, fair.

as a defender, he was viewed by most of the support as very average bordering on why the hell does he still get a game such was his onefootedness and ability (or liability, you choose). We only persisted with him and kept him as we couldn't get or afford any better at that time. Passable defender but the focus of much ire and frustration with his limited (cough) skills. When he got converted/moved further forward, his defensive shortcomings weren't so relevant, and he (to his credit) took the opportunity to become a decent dm who could ping a reasonably accurate crossfield or long ball.

But lets be honest and remember the overall time of his stay at firhill was 4 years meh and one year valued player (and that wasn't even.a full year as he was injured for over a third of it).

His standard of play last season combined with his friendship with judas, got him a move with more money, so fair play to the guy.

But how many times did you look at teamsheet, see paton and go meh? And.i ask you to think back over his whole time with us, not just last season.

Compare and contrast to Erskine on all levels, questions and also how he acted, in comparison to paton.

And it wasn't just last season paton had a few spats with, or goes at the thistle support.

A distinctly average player who's probably exceeded most peoples expectations, credit to him for that though right enough.

• Like 1

I couple of points that made me have a wee think were when it mentioned Paul Paton as a “great captain” and another as he “captained Partick Thistle to winning the old 1st Division”

As I remember it last season and feel free to correct me, Archie was Captain up until the Morton game on 16th February 2013 and then Paton was Captain after that, up until the Cowdenbeath game on 27th March 2013 when he was injured and that was the last action of the Season for him, missing the last 8 league games and the Cup Final.

He then could have been Captain for 8 games maximum, but he didn’t play in the Dunfermline 4-0 game, or the following Dumbarton and Hamilton Accies games, so he was Captain for 5 games in the whole season??

If that’s true then it could hardly be said that he was either a great captain or captained us to winning the 1st Division.

• Like 1

I couple of points that made me have a wee think were when it mentioned Paul Paton as a “great captain” and another as he “captained Partick Thistle to winning the old 1st Division”

As I remember it last season and feel free to correct me, Archie was Captain up until the Morton game on 16th February 2013 and then Paton was Captain after that, up until the Cowdenbeath game on 27th March 2013 when he was injured and that was the last action of the Season for him, missing the last 8 league games and the Cup Final.

He then could have been Captain for 8 games maximum, but he didn’t play in the Dunfermline 4-0 game, or the following Dumbarton and Hamilton Accies games, so he was Captain for 5 games in the whole season??

If that’s true then it could hardly be said that he was either a great captain or captained us to winning the 1st Division.

When Archie got made manager. Did he become club captain?

Did he lifted the trophy after the Dunfermline game as club captain?

I'm generally on Paul Paton's side, but this is true. I think his ego maybe let him exaggerate the "captain" thing for the limited time that it applied. I would suspect that he probably captained the team a few times before Archie packed it in (or was it Murray in Archie's absence?)

Notwithstanding this, I thought he was one of our top three or four players last season in one of the great Thistle teams, along with Erskine, Banzo and maybe Muirhead, and I think if there's any rewriting of history here it's generally not in his favour.

Well done to an ex-jag. Any jag who manages to get international recognition is ok by me. Time for some on here to move on and that applies to McNamara too. If Rangers manage to beat Rovers, I for one will be cheering Dundee Unt, Paton and McNamara to the rafters. Simples