Paul Paton Called Up To Ni Squad

jags on tour

used to play for us, doesn't any more - nothing to see here.

This.

If the last outing at Firhill is anything to go by, I reckon we can expect some Billy McDonald esque meltdowns in encounters to come. Angry wee man.

Good luck to him with Northern Ireland anyway.

Paton isn't a good enough footballer to play at international level. He has limited ability and has done exceptionally well to get to where he has. My estimations of him have gone massively downhill after the last game at firhill when he generally just acted like a "wee *****" and showed a real lack of class to the club that plucked him out of the relative wilderness he was in at the time and trusted him enough to push him forward to the most important position on the park. Good luck to him if he makes a name for himself on an international level but due to his highly limited ability, I doubt that will happen.

I agree he has limited ability but what he lacks in skill he makes up with effort.

he did get a bit of abuse from jags fans last utd match at firhill so he was just giving his own back

So Paton "isn't an international class player".

Answer me this then, how many guys who play for Northern Ireland are "international class"?

That's probably a decent point. After a few Stella's on Saturday I was acting like he'd been called up to Brazil's World Cup squad. Still though, if he's one of their best midfielders they're worse than I thought.

So Paton "isn't an international class player".

Answer me this then, how many guys who play for Northern Ireland are "international class"?

I do always find it a strange term. "International class" depends entirely which team you're talking about. It's like saying "professional league class" which could cover anything from La Liga to the SPFL Championship.

I do always find it a strange term. "International class" depends entirely which team you're talking about. It's like saying "professional league class" which could cover anything from La Liga to the SPFL Championship.

Spot on

The Faroe's will have players of International class as those picked are deemed good enough to play for them

Just like Scotland will have players who ability wise wouldn't get near any of the top nations squads but they are good enough to represent us which means they are International class.

Any player who gets the chance to represent their country should be proud of that and I'm sure Paul Paton is

• Members

Even Paul Paton isn't stupid enough to think Paul Paton will ever play for Scotland.

Funny you should mention that. The away game against United earlier in the season shown on Alba had an interview with Paton and Erskine. When asked what their ambitions were for the immediate future, Chris replied to establish himself in the Utd 1st team and Paul said, that when he looked at some of the players getting into the Scotland squad he thought he would be in with a shout.

Funny you should mention that. The away game against United earlier in the season shown on Alba had an interview with Paton and Erskine. When asked what their ambitions were for the immediate future, Chris replied to establish himself in the Utd 1st team and Paul said, that when he looked at some of the players getting into the Scotland squad he thought he would be in with a shout.

:lol:

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a bit of ambition and self-confidence. May be a reason why Paton seems to have coped well with the step up to the Premier League.

• Like 1

It will be interesting in generations to come when our great grandchildren read the Thistle history book Volume 8, if Paul Paton will be referenced as:

spending 5 years at the club, Paul began his career as a right back, but would make his name as a tough tackling midfielder. Making over 160 appearances, he eventually captained Partick Thistle to winning the old 1st Division. Paul would move to Dundee United, which would see him receive international recognition.

Or maybe some bitter bugger with a chip on their shoulder will write it?

It will be interesting in generations to come when our great grandchildren read the Thistle history book Volume 8, if Paul Paton will be referenced as:

spending 5 years at the club, Paul began his career as a right back, but would make his name as a tough tackling midfielder. Making over 160 appearances, he eventually captained Partick Thistle to winning the old 1st Division. Paul would move to Dundee United, which would see him receive international recognition.

Or maybe some bitter bugger with a chip on their shoulder will write it?

Do you think Paul displayed the traits of a previous thistle captain when he returned to firhill earlier this season? Or as soon as he left thistle? Are we to be eternally grateful because he went in for a 50/50 in the Cowdenbeath match that could have jeapordised his big move to UTD? His comments after he left thistle were patronising to say the least, and his actions since he has left have been nothing short of embarrassing, culminating in actually challenging one of our fans to a "square go" in the city centre via social media. Why have the fans not acted in the same way towards erskine in an almost identical set of circumstances?

Congratulations to Paul. Its always great to see Jags, former or current, get international call ups. The Paton hatefest is shit IMHO. He,s just a boy and cut him some slack.

I agree and there is evidence of double standards too. Nobody here questioned Jonny Tuffey's international credentials when he was called up by Northern Ireland. We were mid-table in the old First Division at the time.

I agree and there is evidence of double standards too. Nobody here questioned Jonny Tuffey's international credentials when he was called up by Northern Ireland. We were mid-table in the old First Division at the time.

That's because Tuffey wasn't an absolute throbber.

Do you think Paul displayed the traits of a previous thistle captain when he returned to firhill earlier this season? Or as soon as he left thistle? Are we to be eternally grateful because he went in for a 50/50 in the Cowdenbeath match that could have jeapordised his big move to UTD? His comments after he left thistle were patronising to say the least, and his actions since he has left have been nothing short of embarrassing, culminating in actually challenging one of our fans to a "square go" in the city centre via social media. Why have the fans not acted in the same way towards erskine in an almost identical set of circumstances?

A square go, did he? That wasn't directed at the Thistle "fan" who wished a life of ill health on his child, was it?

A square go, did he? That wasn't directed at the Thistle "fan" who wished a life of ill health on his child, was it?

Nope, must be a different time I'm not aware of. After the last UTD game at firhill someone wrote something along the lines of "Paul, stop acting like a ***** and remember where you came from" "don't quote me on that though. And Paul's response was "I'll be in the city centre later, come meet me and we'll see how much of a ***** I am" All a little bit childish if you ask me, but the point still stands, he has showed no respect towards our club or fans since leaving.

You can call it double standards if you wish but as football fans we're all different and thus see players all from varying points of view. It's nigh impossible to avoid subjectivity. You can't be told to like a player.

I'd be a total hypocrite if I didn't question Paton's professionalism. I'm not just meaning the Twitter thingy but the years when he did hee haw to work on his left foot. That out of the way we should be pleased about his call up as we're the club that moved him into midfield and where he really developed.

Just as well social media hasn't always been about. Maybe we'd be struggling to find ex-player acceptable enough to do the half time draw. .

• Like 1