Hate To Say I Told You So But.....

king of spain

Had those 2,500 tickets been available to Celtic fans via the official channels it would have been a different story.

I doubt that anyone thought it would have been so easy to get a ticket for the home end as it was last night.

Yeah for Wednesday but not in general. When Rangers went bust and the press were harping on about Armageddon all the time Pie & Bovril was full of fans providing stats for attendences when the old firm visit and they were pretty unremarkable. Same way our highest attendance this season was against Dundee United. They aren't the cash cow(s) they once were and more and more home fans decide to give it a miss when they come to town.

• Like 1

The Main Stand is excellent.

"we found ourselves outside a building which wouldn’t resemble a football ground if it wasn’t for the floodlights towering over each side of it. The Main Stand looked more like a classic old industrial building or offices – this was the first sign that I knew that I was going to love this place." http://lostboyos.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/lost-in-glasgow-partick-thistle/

And the JHS is not without its' flaws or need for investment also. Mothballing an adequate facility for the shiny new was a mistake. Destruction of a potential enviable asset would be a shameful, naive, premature and barbaric waste.

• Like 1

Yeah for Wednesday but not in general. When Rangers went bust and the press were harping on about Armageddon all the time Pie & Bovril was full of fans providing stats for attendences when the old firm visit and they were pretty unremarkable. Same way our highest attendance this season was against Dundee United. They aren't the cash cow(s) they once were and more and more home fans decide to give it a miss when they come to town.

The old firm are still, without doubt and consistantly our biggest average away supports. And will continue to be for some time yet sadly.

"Our highest home attendance this season was against Dundee United",7822, in the first game of the season, on our return to top flight, our "flag day", against a team managed by our c*nto ex-manager. Next time we played D.U. at home - 3748.

We don't want the old firm. We don't need the old firm. But let's not kind ourselves. They are huge. Far bigger than the rest. So, without detriment to our own cause, take them for everything we can, while we can.

:fan:

There were absolutely tons of neutrals at the Morton game, I know probably a dozen non Thistle fans who went that night.

Very much doubt there were many there last night.

Yup, me too.

And i think the neutrals might turn up more often if we had part of the ground that was cheaper than 20 quid to get in.

Had those 2,500 tickets been available to Celtic fans via the official channels it would have been a different story.

I doubt that anyone thought it would have been so easy to get a ticket for the home end as it was last night.

I don't really understand what you are saying. Are you saying that if Celtic had the tickets to sell, then they would have sold them ? But that they weren't sold via Thistle even although it was easy to get the tickets ?

I feel a angry with Neil Lennon said in the paper before the game with us," we owe it to the other teams down at the bottom to do our best then", then after yesterdays Ross County game he states the game was secondary / not bothered about the score. Thamks for doing County a favour A*****

I agree he speaks with forked tongue but all leagues throw up games like that. Due to the play offs down the leagues a team that's already qualified will rest players maybe against a team they'd beat nine times out of ten. We were just unlucky it was County that Celtic were playing on Saturday. Probably a lack of professionalism on their part but was almost to be expected.

• Like 1

Reading through this thread has got me thinking about the Main Stand. It really does have its problems and needs a great deal of work, but i strongly disagree that demolishing it is a good idea. The traditional look it gives as you walk up Firhill Road is excellent and a big part of the clubs identity. To destroy that would be terrible. I'd hate to think we end up with a ground like N.S.P. or the Excelsior. The best option would be to retain the facade of the stand along the road and basically gut it out and start again on the rest. This would no doubt be very difficult when you then take the old style roof into account and many other things but it would be heartbreaking to see such a good looking piece of history destroyed.

• Like 3

This would no doubt be very difficult when you then take the old style roof into account and many other things but it would be heartbreaking to see such a good looking piece of history destroyed.

But that is exactly what Propco have in mind should they ever get a developer involved. We will have a ground like the Accies but worse.

But that is exactly what Propco have in mind should they ever get a developer involved. We will have a ground like the Accies but worse.

I've never managed to find enough info on the web on this matter as I would like, but I hope if it ever comes to that the fans would have enough of a voice to stop it and save what could be regarded as a piece of the clubs soul.

The best option would be to retain the facade of the stand along the road and basically gut it out and start again on the rest.

Think of the cost, man! That kind of effort would be astronomical - and I would imagine involve closing the stadium for a good long while to gain significant access. Where would we play for two seasons?

We would have to be financially secure and in no danger of relegation for years ahead to think of such a plan; and it would have to be done in conjunction with flattening/redeveloping the City End too.

Maybe if we'd all bought shares in Royal Mail we could afford it, but I'm afraid it will remain a pipe dream, especially when weighed against a hypothetical new build stadium, which I can only imagine would be far cheaper?

snapback.pngPAISLEY-JAG, on 31 March 2014 - 10:27 PM, said:

This would no doubt be very difficult when you then take the old style roof into account and many other things but it would be heartbreaking to see such a good looking piece of history destroyed.

Couldn't agree more, to lose the Main Stand would be like cutting off a limb of this club's history and soul, If ever it demolition were proposed I'd hope the club would bring into the public domain, the figures involved.

• Like 1

A new shiny stadium with adjacent astro pitches and training facility for first team and youth teams. :thumbsup2:

Now the dreaming is over can the club not get back what propco own?

The cost of this and redeveloping and keeping the traditional look of the main stand but upgrading the rest will be too much money surely so the first option might not be a dream after all.

The club will at somepoint need to address the training facility side of things which is more expense for the future and it might not be ideal for fans but it would be a way of moving the club forward if they could get a modern ground and half decent training complex up and running.

Edited by billko

Think of the cost, man! That kind of effort would be astronomical - and I would imagine involve closing the stadium for a good long while to gain significant access. Where would we play for two seasons?

We would have to be financially secure and in no danger of relegation for years ahead to think of such a plan; and it would have to be done in conjunction with flattening/redeveloping the City End too.

Maybe if we'd all bought shares in Royal Mail we could afford it, but I'm afraid it will remain a pipe dream, especially when weighed against a hypothetical new build stadium, which I can only imagine would be far cheaper?

I know it is a tall order, Historic Scotland aint giving away grants are they? haha but seriously it would cost an absolute fortune yes, and by all means if it was done ,then flattening the city end and erecting a temporary stand would be essential prior to the work being carried out so that the stadium could still be used in the meantime. I might be mistaken but did another team outwith this country not recently build a stand and still used the rest of the ground just put up a massive sheet between it and the building site?

• Like 1

Reading through this thread has got me thinking about the Main Stand. It really does have its problems and needs a great deal of work, but i strongly disagree that demolishing it is a good idea. The traditional look it gives as you walk up Firhill Road is excellent and a big part of the clubs identity. To destroy that would be terrible. I'd hate to think we end up with a ground like N.S.P. or the Excelsior. The best option would be to retain the facade of the stand along the road and basically gut it out and start again on the rest. This would no doubt be very difficult when you then take the old style roof into account and many other things but it would be heartbreaking to see such a good looking piece of history destroyed.

Completely agree with you mate