Hibs

angry gaz

The budget available is not the issue - it's how that budget is deployed.

Look at it this way, leaving out loans, we spent on the midfield and front areas (Ozzie, Higgy, Baird and eventually Fraser).

We bought/signed Gallacher, and eventually bought Mair (neither of whom has yet to achieve a shut out for PTFC).

It is of course easy to say with hindsight, but we did not invest enough in experience in the back line last summer. That's been our weakest area all season.

Even with the recent changes 18 goals have been lost in the last 8 games.

Do you see the connection now?

We were just getting him fit for the Ramsdens cup final and it worked :thumbsup2:

Sorry, I misunderstood. Who were you saying was responsible, above?

It's a club thing, the Board are setting the budget, Archie may well be making the decisions on who to sign, God knows who is coaching the defence etc etc etc.

The annoying thing about this year is that we have a team that can play excellent football, which is why our defensive frailties are such a frustration. As Trotter has pointed out, we could easily be 10-12 points better off had we been able to see good positions out in a professional manner.

This team is way better to watch than Lambie's mid 90s team. BUT and it's a big BUT - where that team trashes this one is in experience at the back (Jamieson, Tierney, Byrne, Pittman anyone?).

Edited by Barney Rubble

It's a club thing, the Board are setting the budget, Archie may well be making the decisions on who to sign, God knows who is coaching the defence etc etc etc.

The frustrating thing about this year is that we have a team that can play excellent football, which is why our defensive frailties are such a frustration. As Trotter has pointed out, we could easily be 10-12 points better off had we been able to see good positions out in a professional manner.

This team is way better to watch than Lambie's mid 90s team. BUT and it's a big BUT - where that team trashes this one is in experience at the back (Jamieson, Tierney, Byrne, Pittman anyone?).

I can't disagree with any of that.

But conversely, look at the guys who have steeped up.

O'Donnell: severely lacking in confidence for some reason. He's not been the same since his injury last season.

Muirhead: a guy I thought could really progress, but has been 2 yards off attackers at times. See Boyd and samaras.

Balatoni: looked like a duck out of water at the start of the season. Different player beside Mair.

Sinclair: doing his best to get a move, up until hearts was playing really well after a shaky start.

Mcmillan: hmmm I probably expected more. I had it in my head he was taller and more commanding.

Piccolo: how many young players move to a foreign country and immediately slot in to a new style of game.

Mair: we tried to get him in the summer, wish we had.

Could any fan have foreseen how out of place our defenders looked at the start. Quote me one post from June and July that highlighted this would be a problem.

Could any fan have foreseen how out of place our defenders looked at the start. Quote me one post from June and July that highlighted this would be a problem.

I think this is a very good point. Not many people, if anyone, thought we had any major issue in defence in pre-season. Muirhead and Balatoni were rock solid last season. From memory, I think some people called for back up - which we got in Piccolo. There is also the issue that as the promoted team (with the smallest wage budget) we would have struggled to beat other SPL teams to sign new defenders who were better than the ones we had - and we did try to get Mair, who most would agree has improved us. Personally I think Muirhead and Balatoni can both make it at this level - but they're not there yet.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Only a point behind this mob now , look like they're imploding, still my favourites to be in the play-offs.

Butcher sounds as if he has no faith in his players and the slagging off he gives them after every game now will be doing nothing for their morale

His radio interview after the game was hilarious from a non hibs fan point of view. I think he's tried bigging them up now maybe he's trying the shaming them publicly to get a reaction.

You've gotta love his honesty.

A post-match quote from Butcher:

"Sometimes maybe it's a good thing if you lose an early goal because it takes away the threat of conceding because you have conceded - and then we lose a second goal."

Would love to hear his words of wisdom before a match. The team must run out really fired up. I wonder if he has enough wisdom to fill one side of an LP?...

Hibs will probably survive if only for the reason that 3 of their last 4 games are at home (they apparently got the "extra" home game when the fixtures shook out).

Can't see playing poor football at home in front of demoralised and p1ssed off fans being much of an advantage.