St Mirren Appoint Tommy Craig

Jagsman

Awful, awful decision. Appointing assistant managers to become the manager only works when he had been part of a successful team. Such as McInnes under Coyle, Archie under McNamara type thing. Goodwin and Teale as assistants? Think this gives us a great chance to finish above St Mirren. Obviously not willing to splash any cash about for established managers. I'd of thought the only reason you would get rid of Lennon would be to totally shake things up with an experienced (or respected) manager.

don't really care about next season, or especially about other clubs (or at least until ptfc board wises up), but that's a prize diddy and pup st murn have landed themselves.

now what's that saying about football fans getting what they deserve if they moan enough?

It's so bizarre you have to think he's some sort of interim puppet but for the life of me I can't see the angle. Craig is no doubt a competent coach but in thirty years he's never managed a club. Why start now?

I just don't get it either .... Even more risky than ian Murray with less of a track record than Danny Lennon....

Didn't he manage somebody for a while?

• Members

I seem to recall earlier on in the season when Thompson and Teale's names were getting mentioned. Perhaps Craig's just in till they can get their coaching badges and get up to speed?

eta... a quick look at the St Mirren forums tells me that Goodwin and Teale are Craig's assistants. From the little I read, the majority of Saints fans reckon it's a cost cutting exercise and many of them aren't particularly happy with the appointment.

To add a wee bit to the cost-cutting theme......

A St. Mirren supporting pal texted me that he believes there is a "consortium" waiting to take over at New Love St. and this is a way of reducing the staff costs to sweeten the deal for the prospective new owners.

Makes some sense as they will save Lennon's wage outright and the three stooges taking over are already on the payroll.

To add a wee bit to the cost-cutting theme......

A St. Mirren supporting pal texted me that he believes there is a "consortium" waiting to take over at New Love St. and this is a way of reducing the staff costs to sweeten the deal for the prospective new owners.

Makes some sense as they will save Lennon's wage outright and the three stooges taking over are already on the payroll.

I heard this from a player who knew the manager was going.

Just remember that the same was said about Murdo McLeod...:-(

Of course.

But remember how bad Dumbarton were at the start of last season. When Murray came in they were absolute certainties for bottom spot.

The speed at which he turned around the same group of players and made them competitive and hard to beat was nothing short of remarkable. Let's not forget they comfortably defeated us under McNamara. A team that went on to win the league by 11 points.

This season they were unlucky not to finish in 4th spot. All this has been achieved with part time players.

I've seen Dumbarton play. They're a big strong side with a good few experienced players but still play decent football. They're the sort of side we hated to play in the 1st Div. I too am surprised he's not offski to a full time club but another season with the Sons would be no bad thing for the guy. Plus he'll be playing against bigger clubs this season coming.

I've seen Dumbarton play. They're a big strong side with a good few experienced players but still play decent football. They're the sort of side we hated to play in the 1st Div. I too am surprised he's not offski to a full time club but another season with the Sons would be no bad thing for the guy. Plus he'll be playing against bigger clubs this season coming.

Exactly.

With the way the 1st division is shaping up, Murray and his team will gain just as much experience from playing in that league next season as they would from playing in the premier.

If they can again stay up next season the guy should be looking for a top 6 job as a bare minimum.