Dumbarton Friendly

ThickAsThieves

Pretty certain we will sign two centre backs. The defence is a big worry but experienced good centre backs cost money that we don't have. We have to take a risk on some players when you are on our budget.

I take a guess we will see 7 new players come in before the window shuts. 1 Left back, 2 centre backs, 1 defensive midfielder, one attacking midfielder with pace and two strikers.

Edited by Alan Murray

Be good if the club told us what was going on here and an update on Welsh would be appreciated as well. Gabby had a tough baptism last season, but I thought he might kick on this season after a years experience. Didn't travel to Spain, not in the squad yesterday, must mean he is seriously out of favour for some reason or he has asked to go back home

Be good if the club told us what was going on here and an update on Welsh would be appreciated as well. Gabby had a tough baptism last season, but I thought he might kick on this season after a years experience. Didn't travel to Spain, not in the squad yesterday, must mean he is seriously out of favour for some reason or he has asked to go back home

The OS listed #13 as a trialist. The other trialists were #numbers of guys who have already left., It seems ominous for Gabby.

Also what has happened with Collina? Brought in, in a blaze of glory, but a year down the line he looks no nearer to 1st team football than he was when he joined. Would be good to see him given a run out, even as a sub in a friendly game. Again, maybe ominous that he wasn't in the four named youngsters that Archie hoped would kick on this season

Edited by Lindau

Also what has happened with Collina? Brought in, in a blaze of glory, but a year down the line he looks no nearer to 1st team football than he was when he joined. Would be good to see him given a run out, even as a sub in a friendly game. Again, maybe ominous that he wasn't in the four named youngsters that Archie hoped would kick on this season

Collina was at the game yesterday sitting with Welsh and Bannigan in the stand. Looks like Gabby is frozen out though.

• Like 1

Pretty certain we will sign two centre backs. The defence is a big worry but experienced good centre backs cost money that we don't have. We have to take a risk on some players when you are on our budget.

I take a guess we will see 7 new players come in before the window shuts. 1 Left back, 2 centre backs, 1 defensive midfielder, one attacking midfielder with pace and two strikers.

Which again begs the question, why was Mair released when what we are looking at so far hasn't been any better.

I'd be amazed if we got 7 players on before the window. I think we're pushing it to get 4!!

As for the left backs, I thought the 1st half LB had more about him though clearly miles behind in fitness.

The 2nd half LB distribution was awful & too often caught in no mans land when they were on the ball, including the cross for their goal.

Think we should be looking at better than both of them.

Incidentally, anyone else notice Dundee United making new CF signings. Reckon Brian Graham will be surplus pretty soon also. Not saying I'd take him but we almost did last Summer.

Must have been difficult for the other two trialists having to play together in central midfield.

I mentioned this during the game. I thought it was very odd that if Archie wanted to see what any potential "robust" midfielder had to offer, he'd not want to play them alongside a midfield who they'd actually be playing with. I'd have expected him to have given Gary Fraser a full game, taking one half with each of them, and one of our other conventional midfielders also in support, even if Bannigan is out. Instead, you had two trialists propping up the rear of midfield, whose performances were to a significant degree contingent on how the other performed.

Edited by Woodstock Jag

I'll refrain from any great amount of weeping or even gnashing of teeth, but I will admit that superficially the future looks anything nut bright, for the season to come.. However the bottom line is simply that we supporters unfortunately are totally out of the loop when it comes to new signings or even who is being got rid of. I can't believe our management team would be so myopic as to fail to attend to the deficiencies in central defence and the lack of options up front. That being said, we don't have a lot of money, so unfortunately we'll just have to take what we get. However a passing thought, perhaps the club could have managed information a tad better?

Which again begs the question, why was Mair released when what we are looking at so far hasn't been any better.

Mair seemed happy enough to sign for Dumbarton. With all respect to the guy he probably knows at his age that Div 1 is now his level.

I mind the bleating this time last year when some folk on here (not aimed at Trotter) would still have us retaining Dowie & Craig.

Instead, you had two trialists propping up the rear of midfield, whose performances were to a significant degree contingent on how the other performed.

Valid point, I think. It was rather unfortunate. Perhaps that's why the big fella stayed on for a spell in the second half when his performance hardly warranted more time. I'd like to think he had little or no pre season as on face value I can't see him playing at our level.

I'll refrain from any great amount of weeping or even gnashing of teeth, but I will admit that superficially the future looks anything nut bright, for the season to come.. However the bottom line is simply that we supporters unfortunately are totally out of the loop when it comes to new signings or even who is being got rid of. I can't believe our management team would be so myopic as to fail to attend to the deficiencies in central defence and the lack of options up front. That being said, we don't have a lot of money, so unfortunately we'll just have to take what we get. However a passing thought, perhaps the club could have managed information a tad better?

The club can't offically comment on players coming in or leaving the club until they arrive or leave. I can see your point regarding the injury status of players but again it is up to the manager how he deals with that situation. I know I wouldn't want my employer broadcasting an ailment I had to my colleagues let alone outside of work. Welsh has struggled with illness so hoefully no news is good news in his case.

It is hard to guestimate our player budget without any actual facts i.e. wages, budgets proposed squad size.

The anticipation or dread is what keeps the forums and other media going during the silly season.

On a positive note at this stage last season our signings were Gallacher, Baird, Kerr and Mukendi with thevlikes of Osbourne, Higginbotham, Buaben, Mair and Taylor coming in somewhat under the radar at different spells throughout the season.

We were in a position to offer Taylor a contract but he went for a better offer and we have signed an experienced and sought after player in Stevenson. We also had a plethora of trialists on show yesterday with Barr and Mustoe either close to signing or getting moved on.

Personally I'm glad we aren't diving in for any Tom, Dick or Harry. Archie will have learnt from last seaso. I think and I'd expect four players signed up pretty soon with a loan and maybr one or two transfer deadline day signings coming in depending on their parent club's requirements.

Keep the faith, or at least don't get anymore worried than you maybe now ;)

• Like 1

I'd be amazed if we got 7 players on before the window. I think we're pushing it to get 4!!

As for the left backs, I thought the 1st half LB had more about him though clearly miles behind in fitness.

The 2nd half LB distribution was awful & too often caught in no mans land when they were on the ball, including the cross for their goal.

Think we should be looking at better than both of them.

Incidentally, anyone else notice Dundee United making new CF signings. Reckon Brian Graham will be surplus pretty soon also. Not saying I'd take him but we almost did last Summer.

dundee united signed a Dutch centre forward can't remember his name but some cracking goals from him on YouTube I think he will be a fantastic signing

dundee united signed a Dutch centre forward can't remember his name but some cracking goals from him on YouTube I think he will be a fantastic signing

Mario Bilaté, 23 year old forward from Sparta Rotterdam. Something like 18 goals in over 80 games, hardly prolific but no doubt better than Graham.

Beware Youtube, Magnay scored a cracking 30 yarder on that from what I remember ;)

He played in Dutch equivalent of our Championship for 3 years and was actually released 1 year early from his contract to sign for United, no fee involved. His scoring record is not impressive and with none of the Eredivisie clubs were interested in him either so to call him a fantastic signing I think is a bit of an overstatement. Only time will tell

Mario Bilaté, 23 year old forward from Sparta Rotterdam. Something like 18 goals in over 80 games, hardly prolific but no doubt better than Graham.

Beware Youtube, Magnay scored a cracking 30 yarder on that from what I remember ;)

I dunno, youtube is surely a great scouting system, there was a cracking centre half on it couple of years ago touting himself....Simon.......storey maybe?? He must be living la liga dream now.

Also anyone else also notice that sevcos latest USA friendly opponents (sacremento) had a familiar face, a thomas stewart. Although might be on high wages in the USA third league.