V Aberdeen, Saturday 30Th September 2014

stillresigned

Good points Winter, though as I have said, I will be happy to finish 10th this season with hopefully good runs in both cup competitions. A lot of teams struggle with 2nd season syndrome in this league and I just have a nagging feeling that this is going to be a struggle this season. No Hearts on -15 and Hamilton and Dundee have hit the ground running (was really impressed with Dundee yesterday) It's good to see Ross County and St Mirren looking so poor, but my feeling is that they both will have new managers sooner rather than later and that could spark a revival. If Eccleston signs, lets hope he hits the ground running because if he doesn't and let's face facts, his goal scoring record is dire, I am not sure where the goals are coming from, especially if Dools gets injured

This apparently is the now the weakest top division. EVER. This forum is a madhouse. I'll leave you to it,

Well with three of the 5 biggest clubs in the country out of it, which to my knowledge has never happened before, I am not sure why you would disagree with that statement.

Edited by Lindau

You're missing the point - historically this is the weakest top Division ever.

I think if you're going to say, based on the clubs in it, that this is the weakest top division ever, you could argue that Thistle's place in it is a demonstration of that. Regardless of no Rangers, Hibs and Hearts, the clubs in the premier league are not clubs that we've been outperforming over the last 30 years, so to use this argument to suggest that we "should" be finishing in the higher places makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

• Members

Hibs and Hearts (even if you discount the points deduction last season) finished below us. So we were stronger than them. Only Rangers are an unknown and may or may not be stronger than us. So can't see how the top division can be said to be any weaker than last season?

I don't see how the league is any weaker this season than last. Kinda disrespectful to Accies and Dundee if you think they're poorer sides than the Embra pair were last season. They've certainly started the season well enough.

Leaving us out of it I'm not sure if the other nine clubs are collectively weaker this season or not. Players like May, Gauld, Robertson & Boyd have moved on but there's been a few decent signings to compensate.

Was at firhill last week and so disappointed in the display and the collapse at the end that I vowed for the 3,223rd time that I wouldnt be back at firhill again !! Went to Pittodrie and watched us being beaten quite emphatically by a team whose standard is far above our own and to have come away with a 2-0 defeat was almost like a victory , it could have been so much worse, so , lets take one or two positives from this last game. 1) we only conceded 2 goals and terrific strikes at that , Gallacher had no chance with either. 2) the new boys have potential to do well for us, give them time to gel 3) we successfully defended set pieces and there was plenty of them considering that the ref was wearing a red shirt underneath the top one !!. Will i be at firhill next sat ? Of course I will, theres nowhere else I'd rather be on a Sat afternoon, and as an eternal optimist in my 64th year I am confident that i will see the Jags lift another major trophy before I pass along .

ps. need to edit the time factor for the Caley game, it means i will be at firhill a week on sat !! the 13th (OMG) to be precise !!! Thank goodness its not a Friday !!

Edited by Harry Wragg
  • Like 4

There is no reason why we cannot finish higher than 10th in this league other than apparently we not supposed to ! Time to get back to the Championship where we belong.....don't aim for anything funnily enough it doesnt happen

There's a huge difference between the club, players and management aiming for a place higher than tenth (which I think they should), and the fans screaming that it should be expected, and suggesting that the season will be a failure if it isn't achieved.

Edited by allyo

There's a huge difference between the club, players and management aiming for a place higher than tenth (which I think they should), and the fans screaming that it should be expected, and suggesting that the season will be a failure if it isn't achieved.

Has any Thistle fan suggested this? I have already said that I'm more interested in us playing good football than our League Position. If we finish 11th and beat Rangers in the Play-Off, it will be a great season.

The point I am clearly struggling to make - and it seems a very obvious one - is the argument that we don't have the financial resources to compete has no merit when three of the five clubs with the biggest crowd base aren't in the League. The footballing abilities of the teams currently in the League are irrelevant but if anyone can put forward an argument that this isn't the financially weakest top League ever and the best chance Thistle will have to compete against clubs with similar resources, I'd love to hear it.

If we have a poor season, it will be because the players didn't play well enough, the tactics, selection and signing policies were not right, bad refereeing decisions, the opposition playing better than us or just bad luck. It won't because we were up against financial giants who we have no chance of competing with.

• Like 2

Has any Thistle fan suggested this?

Yes. Maybe not you, but some have. Though the people who suggest we "should" be achieving higher league positions will probably be predicting next week that we won't win another game.

Personally I reckon if you achieve your top league position in many years then you've achieved something significant, and repeating that the next season would be creditable. Progress would be nice but people seem to forget that other teams are also trying to improve. I would like to be safe earlier this season, but more for the sake of my health.

• Like 1

Happy to finish 10th? Set your sights low and you finish last. With no h*ns, no HiBees and no Jam tarts and there are those who are happy to finish 10th, jings grivens help ma boab. This should be the season we should be aiming towards if not the flag then certainly second. What would the expectation be if this year we were in the 1st div?

Happy to finish 10th? Set your sights low and you finish last. With no h*ns, no HiBees and no Jam tarts and there are those who are happy to finish 10th, jings grivens help ma boab. This should be the season we should be aiming towards if not the flag then certainly second. What would the expectation be if this year we were in the 1st div?

To finish above Morton again.

Just watched the Youtube highlights of the Aberdeen match. First of all, they (Dons) could have scored many more! In the first half Balatoni failed to put in any kind of tackle on a player going past him in the box. Maybe he was worried about a penalty being given, but he didn't even try to put in a block.

Two cracking shots from out of the box for their goals; can't do much about those. Bannigan's first half effort was decent enough, as were Elliott's and Higgy's in the 2nd half. Let's bounce back to winning ways against ICT a week on Saturday!

• Like 1