Central Defence

javeajag

• 2 weeks later...

Interview with Richards Everton in the Sun today. He says there was interest from English League 1 and 2 sides for his signature but if he moved to one of the English clubs, Tamworth were looking for compensation and the amount they were looking for would have ruled out a move to most clubs in those divisions. He also stated that the money Tamworth wanted, it would have to have been a Championship or Premier League side that he moved to. Really?? If that's the case, he is clearly held in high regards and the question has to be asked, especially after last night, why have we shipped him out to Airdrie?? He also stated that he had a trial with Birmingham and only just missed out because they were looking for someone with a bit more experience at Championship level. To put the other side of the argument he says that Archie told him immediately that he was going to put him out on loan to get experience of Scottish football and Ben agreed with him. One things for sure, with Danny looking fragile, injury wise, at the moment we either need to get him back (if possible) or get a non contract central defender in.

Indeed we do. Very worrying. But who is there?

Not 100 % certain of the rules but I think it's only non contract players we can bring in, so options are limited. These are guys that don't have clubs, so basically no one wanted them at the start of the season or they are coming back from injury. The obvious exception is O'Dea. Think he will be out our league but perhaps if the management invited him to train with the club and offer him a short term contract until January to put himself in the window while playing regularly. Would benefit both parties

• Like 1

One way to improve the central defense is to change the Goalkeeper . Gallagher is miles ahead of Fox in terms of organizing and talking.

I wonder what our loss rate is with Gallagher in goals instead of Fox.

I saw some chaotic defending when Gallacher was in goals and he had only one rookie central defender,(playing alongside Mair) ahead of him. That's no endorsement of Fox but I don't believe Gallacher, excellent keeper tho he is, comes across as that commanding of his defence.

I saw some chaotic defending when Gallacher was in goals and he had only one rookie central defender,(playing alongside Mair) ahead of him. That's no endorsement of Fox but I don't believe Gallacher, excellent keeper tho he is, comes across as that commanding of his defence.

Whether it helps much or not but Gallacher all the time to the defence, that can only help them make decisions, even if only slightly. If that doesn't help much, knowing that Gallacher might actually catch a cross or shot must be of some comfort. Plus he is much better at 1-on-1's than Fox who makes himself as small as possible when a striker runs in on him.

Whether it helps much or not but Gallacher all the time to the defence, that can only help them make decisions, even if only slightly. If that doesn't help much, knowing that Gallacher might actually catch a cross or shot must be of some comfort. Plus he is much better at 1-on-1's than Fox who makes himself as small as possible when a striker runs in on him.

Not disagreeing 1 JL, Imo Gallacher has been most inspiring between the sticks. Obviously I can't say why Fox is currently preferred and I doubt there's any of us in the loop so to speak. .

We really couldn't be any worse bringing back the guy on loan at Airdrie (if we're allowed), or playing Lindsay instead of Muirhead. Muirhead is simply not good enough, disappointing, as I thought he would be with us for years & be a future captain.

Watching Muirhead when we won the league I thought he was destined for at least The Champiobship, down in England. I really thought, this boy's got it.

I'm quite sure if we got relegated he would be a stand out next season.

But, the top league in Scotland? It's beyond him.

Really sorry to say it, as I'd love him to be imposing at the back and be a leader in the team. But I just can't see it.

Watching Muirhead when we won the league I thought he was destined for at least The Champiobship, down in England. I really thought, this boy's got it.

I'm quite sure if we got relegated he would be a stand out next season.

But, the top league in Scotland? It's beyond him.

Really sorry to say it, as I'd love him to be imposing at the back and be a leader in the team. But I just can't see it.

I also thought that Muirhead had the potential to be an exceptional defender - I wasn't at Kilmarnock today but in the games I have seen him play this season he's looked nervy and uncertain and not in great physical condition...a pale shadow of the player I expected him to be.

However, he is just back from an operation for an injury that kept him out for a large part of last season. Also, he never played with Mair last year and has never played with Seabourne. Balatoni is clearly the favoured choice but he's had a whole series of blunders and I would like to see Muirhead given the chance to rebuild his confidence beside an experienced central defender.

The only other option seems to be McMillan but I think he is too small to play in central defence and while he looks like a good organiser I'm not convinced he's as good a defender as some other posters have said.

Top comment. When Muirhead first came into the team, I thought exactly the same. He most certainly had the potential to go further and play at a higher level. I still believe this to be the case, but the managerial set up at present is not helping his game. In the promotional year he covered as a sweeper for Conrad so many times that there are those who have forgotten the games when Conrad first himself first came into the team.

It’s so apparent everyone can see, in this league with Conrad and Aaron we must play three at the back. Tighten the defence, Gallagher and three at the back and two up front, and results will come because with the exception of one or two teams this is a bogus division, we are all pretty much at the same level.

Finally stop looking for saviour signings, look to the youth development and bring on our own home grown talent.

Top comment. When Muirhead first came into the team, I thought exactly the same. He most certainly had the potential to go further and play at a higher level. I still believe this to be the case, but the managerial set up at present is not helping his game. In the promotional year he covered as a sweeper for Conrad so many times that there are those who have forgotten the games when Conrad first himself first came into the team.

It’s so apparent everyone can see, in this league with Conrad and Aaron we must play three at the back. Tighten the defence, Gallagher and three at the back and two up front, and results will come because with the exception of one or two teams this is a bogus division, we are all pretty much at the same level.

Finally stop looking for saviour signings, look to the youth development and bring on our own home grown talent.

What would be your starting line up in a 3-5-2?

I know not aimed at me but a 3-5-2 formation is something I had thought about at the start of the season, but I couldn't see it working with Stevenson in the team. With him off form & Fraser injured, it could work now.

A rather strange formation due to the players & trying to fit them into their best position, but it should make us more solid defensively while allowing our best attacking players to do their thing (with good support from RWB & LWB).

..................................Gallacher

...............McMillan.....Seaborne.....Balatoni

O'Donnell..................................................Carroll

........................Osman.....Bannigan

...............................................Higginbotham

................Lawless

...............................Doolan

If we had Taylor up front (or similar) it really would help us with his additional strength & pace. Doolan is a great player, but he struggles without a partner I feel.

• Like 1