Greatest Jags Goal Of All Time

The Devil's Point

For sheer drama, Billy Gibson at Peterhead or Dools at the Ramsden Cup Final.

For skill it has to be O'Donnell against Dunfermline. The tackle to win the ball, the passing through the team and the run to make the chip at the far post. A goal of beauty.

Personally can't top this one. Started y O'Donnell on the right, finished by O'Donnell on the left.

Rave on Bobby Law. V. Hamilton. 25yards out. Unstopable thunderbolt.... well.... until it hit the post, hit the hapless Andy Murdoch on the back, and ricocheted into the net... getitupye Lambie!!!

Great strike. Spawny goal. But the celebration, straight to the shed in a Tardelli - Espana '82 styleee..... stuff of legend.

"My strongest position is midfield, but I would play anywhere just to get a game for Thistle" ..... OH Bobby, Bobby! Bobby, Bobby,Bobby,Bobby, BOBBY LAW!!!!!!

:fan:

It still makes you wonder why O'Donnell has been rarely used in midfield since, as he was very effective that day.

The irony being that playing SOD in an advanced position was really a defensive decision. Iirc Husband had been playing extremely well leading up to that game so I think there was a bit of doubling up on him in mind. Possibly also slightly ironical was that O'Donnell started the goal move himself from a deep right back position.

I wouldn't be surprised to see SOD playing ahead of Jordan on the odd occasion but more likely as a substitute for Lawless.

eta that was my favourite goal of the season. Feel it summed up our greatest strength that season in so much that goals could come from all over the park.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Rarely has my chest been at bursting point and my inner being as rabidly effusive so much as when Alex Rae chestied the ball outside the Tims' penalty area and unleashed a volley of sublime, natural beauty into Evan Williams's net.

The best ever opening goal of any match ever.....

Ever.

By Decade

'70s ...Big Dennis against Clyde

'80s.....Iain Jardine's rocket winner against Celtic in the Glasgow cup. Probablly 70 yards out and moved about more in the Air than Kennedy's magic bullet.(Time may have made that one improve in my memory)

90s....Geordies winner at Porkheid, what a moment.The Support that day was brilliant.

2000 s Gereee at Dens

2010s Higgys at Fir park last season , what a run

Special mention,

Harkins run and chip over the keeper, against Airdrie i think,

Issacs chip over Gough and lash past Gormless,

Just about every Big Boab free kick, one against Morton especially

Edited by angry gaz
  • Like 1

Rave on Bobby Law. V. Hamilton. 25yards out. Unstopable thunderbolt.... well.... until it hit the post, hit the hapless Andy Murdoch on the back, and ricocheted into the net... getitupye Lambie!!!

Great strike. Spawny goal. But the celebration, straight to the shed in a Tardelli - Espana '82 styleee..... stuff of legend.

"My strongest position is midfield, but I would play anywhere just to get a game for Thistle" ..... OH Bobby, Bobby! Bobby, Bobby,Bobby,Bobby, BOBBY LAW!!!!!!

:fan:

i remember this one. Thanks for reminding me about it. A stoatir!!

every goal we score is magic and reading everyone else's takes me back, but one of the best for me was Mark Roberts, Tynecastle, Scottish cup. canny remember the year just the goal. by the way same game was the second best save, deflection and save to keep us from equalising, best save of all time of course was Roughie at Liverpool for Scotland cop end but perhaps that's for another day.

All 4 goals in 1971 for me. It was humiliation for a Celtic side that contained Lisbon Lions and a young Dalglish. Most of them played in the final of the European Cup against Feyenoord too.

More recently, I still love Chic Charnley's 35 yard screamer against Celtic in Kenny Arthur's testimonial. It was great to see him roll back the years. Unfortunately, the YouTube video seems to have been deleted.

All 4 goals in 1971 for me. It was humiliation for a Celtic side that contained Lisbon Lions and a young Dalglish. Most of them played in the final of the European Cup against Feyenoord too.

More recently, I still love Chic Charnley's 35 yard screamer against Celtic in Kenny Arthur's testimonial. It was great to see him roll back the years. Unfortunately, the YouTube video seems to have been deleted.

It had been a while since I had watched my dvd of that match, but I did so about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I had remembered all of the goals as absolute crackers and all potential for goal of the season. Rae's (in my mind was a thunderbolt from about 30 yards out. What struck me is how crappy each goal was. The Celtic defending was absolutely shocking. I guess it's a case of the older I get, the better I was.

Having said that, offer it now and I'd take 4 crappy goals to beat Celtic 4-1 in this season's final.