Sean Welsh

Norgethistle

I bumped into Sean Welsh pre xmas in a bar in Edinburgh and as he walked past asked him when he'd be back...he seemed delighted to meet a thistle fan and ended up standing talking to me for about 20mins...he was pretty open about loads of stuff and seemed like a decent guy, he loves thistle and is very grateful to both Jackie and Archie for helping his career and being patient with his injuries, he said he was feeling good when he came back v hamilton then said in the st. mirren game the boy smashed him and thats the new injury problem...could tell from way he was talking he is incredibly frustrated by that short return.

he is really proud to be our captain and is so frustrated that he has had really bad luck with injuries - got the impression he is genuinely worried he may not be kept on as a result of them...

difficult one, no doubt he is a good player and would add to the team but unless Archie can be assured that it is genuine bad luck with injuries I suspect he will move on when his deal ends - shame as he seems like a good guy / captain as well as a good player for us but we can't really have a wage not being maximised...Perhaps he could be convinced around a different deal structure that is along the lines of a pay as you play...

On another note he made a good point about the impact of not having Hibs, Hearts away fans, big opening day game vs. Dutd etc. like we did last yr...he said we are about 20,000 down like for like on attendances...that's quite a lot and I had never really quantified impact of this until he mentioned it....

• Like 1

I would love to see Sean Welsh come back and prove all the doubters wrong.

The guy has had a terrible time with injuries. Sometimes that happens in football. As Westend Jag says he is one of the good guys and extremely proud to captain the club.

Rather than write him off as injury prone and wish his contract to be terminated (isn't going to happen), lets hope he can get fit and get back in to the side. There's no doubt in my mind that he improves how we play so I for one am desperate to see him back.

I would love to see Sean Welsh come back and prove all the doubters wrong.

The guy has had a terrible time with injuries. Sometimes that happens in football. As Westend Jag says he is one of the good guys and extremely proud to captain the club.

Rather than write him off as injury prone and wish his contract to be terminated (isn't going to happen), lets hope he can get fit and get back in to the side. There's no doubt in my mind that he improves how we play so I for one am desperate to see him back.

Listen, I think we all want that. My point was, given that we are struggling for bodies at the moment I find it strange that we let Aero go instead of Sean. Aero is fit to play, Sean clearly isn't. I would love to see the Sean Welsh of 2 years ago back in the team, sadly I don't think it's going to happen. Really hope that this isn't the end of his football career.

I would assume that we paid the majority of Aero's contract up before letting him go, so unsure why we haven't done the same with Sean. Pretty sure Aero started of as a right back so he might have done a job for us there until the end of the season.

I see he's yet to make an appearance for Falkirk. I don't think he's even made the bench so assuming he's injured again.

Listen, I think we all want that. My point was, given that we are struggling for bodies at the moment I find it strange that we let Aero go instead of Sean. Aero is fit to play, Sean clearly isn't. I would love to see the Sean Welsh of 2 years ago back in the team, sadly I don't think it's going to happen. Really hope that this isn't the end of his football career.

My post wasn't directed at you in particular Lindau. There have been plenty posters over the last few months saying we should get rid of Sean Welsh.

I rate him as one of our best players when fit and think it is worth us persevering with him.

To be fair I think we are more or less singing from the same hymn sheet. We would both love him back in the side.

• Like 1

I'd be more concerned if it was the same niggling injury that had flared up again, but we're talking about an impact injury that could have happened to anyone. Apparently the tackle was a shocker.

As I've indicated before, he's one of my favorite players. He's worth persevering with in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Reading this Guardian blog got me thinking about Sean Welsh. Also includes an interesting story about Saha and the Champions League final that I didn't know about. You don't tend to think about the mental anguish these players could be suffering throughout all this. Sadly, I think we will be following Arsenal's Diaby example and letting go of Welsh at the end of the season. Really, really hope he manages to get back at a high level playing regularly, though.

Superheroes cut down in their prime

It was Paul Lake who expressed the wish that newspapers could refrain from calling injured players “crocks” and try to understand, perhaps, how difficult it must be for a professional footballer whose body is repeatedly failing him.

Lake spiralled into full-blown depression during the long run of operations, rehab, comebacks, breakdowns and jarring disappointments that eventually did for his career at Manchester City, aged 27. At one point the police found him looking over a motorway bridge. He was not contemplating jumping but his life was in meltdown and it didn’t help a great deal when City gave him a match-day role at Maine Road to keep him busy, pulling out raffle tickets and fielding off questions from supporters about when he would he back. “Wouldn’t mind your job, Lakey, being paid to do **** all,” was one memorable comment.

A few years ago, it felt like every other week there was a different injury update about Louis Saha at Manchester United, too. Sir Alex Ferguson questioned whether it was psychological, describing him as suffering “physical sensitivity” and for a while it was Saha’s turn to be subjected to all the old sick-note jibes that were once reserved for Darren Anderton.

Saha couldn’t cope either. He would send Ferguson apologetic text messages that seemed racked with guilt. Before the Champions League final against Chelsea, he tried to hide the fact he was limping from his team-mates. Inside, he was despairing, feeling close to a panic attack. Eventually, he had to pull out a couple of hours before kick-off. In the crowd, he spent the first half crying in his wife’s arms.

Those stories came back after the depressingly inevitable news that Abou Diaby is close to being released by Arsenal. Diaby looked such a wonderful player when he first broke into Arsène Wenger’s team. He had a long stride and he played with his head up, with the mix of strength, mobility and competitive courage that reminded many observers of Patrick Vieira.

Abou Diaby was one of seven Arsenal players who had not made a Premier League start before Christmas.

Instead, his career has been sabotaged by 42 injuries in nine years, most brutally in a challenge with Sunderland’s Dan Smith that fractured his ankle. His last full match in the Premier League was in September 2012 and, though some may imagine it is an easy life, we shouldn’t underestimate what it must be like for a talented, super-fit sportsman to be cut down in his prime.