Sean Welsh

Norgethistle

Sounds like he's been unlucky again.

Intrigues me why a guy who must have played less than ten premier league games came straight in as captain. Suggests that he's a big and positive influence on those around him, even when he hasn't been in the team. Only other explanation is just Archie showing loyalty, trying to keep his head up, but I don't see that that alone would justify retaining the captaincy after such a long time out.

Intrigues me why a guy who must have played less than ten premier league games came straight in as captain. Suggests that he's a big and positive influence on those around him, even when he hasn't been in the team. Only other explanation is just Archie showing loyalty, trying to keep his head up, but I don't see that that alone would justify retaining the captaincy after such a long time out.

Captaincy is nothing in the modern game, Sean is the club captain with the current order being Sean, Seaborne, Balatoni, Doolan.

I think it was a misjudgment by Archie both to start him and to make him captain. He was obviously no where near match fitness. He gave the ball away and committed a foul within the first 20 seconds and then struggled the rest of the half and even more so after the knock. He needs a run in the reserves and then starting from the bench a few times before being considered for a start.

Even so, still good to see Welshy back but at the moment our captain should be Seabourne or MacMillian

It might not have been the wrong decision to start him. He took that heavy knock in the first few minutes and it seemed to affect him for the rest of the half. Without that bad tackle, he might've been fine.

Fraser looked great when he came on though; livened things up. However, he might not have been fit to play a full 90 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we might now have to accept that this guy will never be fully fit ever again.

Don't get me wrong, great player for us in the 1st division when he was fit - but at the moment he can't seem to get himself sorted out. Some player are simply not able to fully recover from injuries once they start mounting up, pretty common in football. I admire the loyalty being shown to him by the club but we have to draw the line at some point.

Once he is fit he is gonna have to hit a run of great form from whenever that date is, until the end of the season, to be even in with a sniff of a new contract. I feel sorry for him, but the club have been good to him, given his injury woes. Honestly can't see anything other than him being freed at the end of the season.

Welsh was the midfield foundation on which our Championship season was built - the stats speak for themselves - but the condition he suffers from is a blight on his career.

If it comes to it and he has to drop down a few divisions or even retire, and I hope it doesn't, I'd gladly attend a benefit match for him.

• Like 3

Welsh was the midfield foundation on which our Championship season was built - the stats speak for themselves.

Without wanting to detract from the thread. That's not at all accurate. And does a disservice to those he played beside.

He was part of a midfield, which as a whole, was the foundation our championship season was built...

Going by wiki's stats:

Welsh 25 league appearances.

Paton 24 league appearances.

Bannigan 33 league appearances (vast majority from midfield)

Surely the credit should be shared equally amongst the 3.

With credit to Murray for the start of the season and Craigan at the end?

• Like 1

I would think DP is referencing in particular the incredible unbeaten run we had with Welsh in the side. There is no doubt that all three of those players deserve a huge amount of credit for that season and I wouldn't necessarily agree with singling any one of them out, but if we are, I think you can make as good a case for Welsh as any.

On a related note, it really underlines what a great job Archibald did last season, he had to re-invent a midfield that was (with the benefit of hindsight) probably the most SPL ready area of our team, and has done so well enough that even after losing arguably our best midfielder half way through last season, our current midfield remains the strongest area of the team (and for me probably the strongest central midfield in the lower half or even 2/3 of the SPL).

I would think DP is referencing in particular the incredible unbeaten run we had with Welsh in the side.

There was that leftfield statistic that we never got beat in a game where Welsh started. Based on that alone Sean might well be described as the lynchpin of that team.

Yep, that's what I was making reference to.

Yep, that's what I was making reference to.

Right, sorry for this misunderstanding, when you said the foundation on which our season was built I pictured the season as a whole and the building block that was central to the team.

I didn't realise you meant from when Archie took over. Or individual games before that.

It's harsh to say he's finished because of an injury he picked up in a really hard challenge on him during a match. If he has the same problem recovering from this injury due to the condition he has then it is probably time up for him but he should get the chance to return from an injury that any of the squad could/would have picked up from the challenge.

I don't think it is correct to relate in any way the injury he picked up against St Mirren to the problem he is just coming back from. He has had a really bad time with injuries, yes, but I think it would be foolish to write him off because of this latest setback.

I feel so sorry for the guy, he has been desperate to get back playing and now is out due to this horrific tackle. For anyone that didn't see his Twitter account you can have a look at his ankle after the game https://twitter.com/welshdogg4/status/531437057206677504. It was actually his knee that got it worse though from the same tackle.

Lets see how he recovers from this. I'd love to see a fully fit Sean Welsh back in the team. Archie didn't make him captain for nothing.