Sean Welsh

Norgethistle

Welsh is one of our better players and he's probably my favourite due to his ability to boss a game while having a great touch and pass. But with a squad our size, we really can't afford injury prone players. Give him the benefit of the doubt this time (if he recovers in four weeks) but if it happens again, I really don't think we can keep him. This is purely based on our small budget and lack of being able to have a decent size squad.

Welsh is one of our better players and he's probably my favourite due to his ability to boss a game while having a great touch and pass. But with a squad our size, we really can't afford injury prone players. Give him the benefit of the doubt this time (if he recovers in four weeks) but if it happens again, I really don't think we can keep him. This is purely based on our small budget and lack of being able to have a decent size squad.

I take it what you mean is you don't think we should renew his contract?

He could be a really important player but it is getting hard to justify his wage. Hopefully the current injury is not related to the previous one and we see him back in a few weeks time. If his career was genuinely at stake, I would suggest as a championship winning captain he should get a testimonial like Alan Morgan did, but lets hope I'm thinking too far ahead and it doesn't come to that.

Welsh was the midfield foundation on which our Championship season was built - the stats speak for themselves - but the condition he suffers from is a blight on his career.

If it comes to it and he has to drop down a few divisions or even retire, and I hope it doesn't, I'd gladly attend a benefit match for him.

Very well said.

Additionally as has been discussed a number of times on the forum, I think we may have one of the smallest coaching and scouting networks amongst Premier League Teams. I was quite surprised at how young Ian Murray the Dumbarton Manager is and was wondering perhaps if Sean wants to get involved in coaching or football in some way he could work for the club in a multi task role say Scout/Coach or Thistle Weir Coach?

Anyway here's hoping it doesnt come to that and he is able to make a full recovery

He could be a really important player but it is getting hard to justify his wage. Hopefully the current injury is not related to the previous one and we see him back in a few weeks time.

Maybe I'm off sync here but what do you mean by "justify his wage"? As far as I'm aware any injuries Sean Welsh has sustained have been football related and more to the point sustained playing for the club he's contracted to.

If he'd knackered his knee parachuting and done his groin in on the dance floor (regardless of whether or not he received the correct recuperation treatment) I'd be the first wanting rid of the guy. But even if his current injury was related to his last (and it evidently isn't) I'd still argue that a club as relatively small as ours couldn't afford to not see Welsh's contract paid out in full. The last thing we need is a reputation of not honouring contracts.

Some people may see it differently, and I'm not meaning the quoted poster, but I don't feel we've either any right or in any case we're big enough an outfit to be tearing up contracts or offering some sort of severance deals.

• Like 2

Maybe I'm off sync here but what do you mean by "justify his wage"? As far as I'm aware any injuries Sean Welsh has sustained have been football related and more to the point sustained playing for the club he's contracted to.

If he'd knackered his knee parachuting and done his groin in on the dance floor (regardless of whether or not he received the correct recuperation treatment) I'd be the first wanting rid of the guy. But even if his current injury was related to his last (and it evidently isn't) I'd still argue that a club as relatively small as ours couldn't afford to not see Welsh's contract paid out in full. The last thing we need is a reputation of not honouring contracts.

Some people may see it differently, and I'm not meaning the quoted poster, but I don't feel we've either any right or in any case we're big enough an outfit to be tearing up contracts or offering some sort of severance deals.

I don't think anyone has suggested tearing up his contract - just not renewing his current one come summer.

See how his injury pans out.

Big clubs have insurance to cover the cost of wages for a player out injured, not sure if that's something we have, but there's every possibility we have some sort of insurance to cover such eventualities.

Be quite interesting to know the extent of our player insurance.

Might be slightly different circumstances but when we last played at East End Pk (prior to McMillan & Dowie joining us) the Pars players had just found out they were playing without insurance. Seemed to be unheard of within full time ranks. Missing a monthly wage, getting half pay or it arriving late are all too normal with struggling clubs but not paying player insurance is rare. Just how comprehensive various club's player insurance policies are, I've no idea. I've always assumed they would cover "lengthy" injuries, kicking in after a few weeks, to the extent of the player's basic.

The real cost to the Club, assuming player insurance isn't that comprehensive, will be if we're forced to sign an additional player or bring one in on loan. As a relevant example I believe we were paying Prince Bauben a relatively high wage while he was on loan. Fair to suggest had Sean and/or Osbourne been fit we wouldn't have bothered bringing in Bauben.

Don't get me wrong, I like Welsh and hope to see him back fit as soon as possible, but I often thought his importance was ever so slightly exaggerated in the title-winning season. The statistics certainly built a very impressive case and his performances evidently impressed the manager sufficiently enough to award him the captaincy but I tend to think those stats, combined with his presence during the unbeaten run, blinkered some folk to a certain extent. I can recall a number of games where I thought he coasted through on the periphery whilst not contributing much at all yet I'd be dumbfounded to find others ascertain that he was the best player on the pitch. Although he missed the run-in, Paton's level of consistency was tremendous and I often think he was more worthy of the praise afforded to Welsh. All about opinions, I suppose.

The reason why the above became more evident to me was that in the first three games of last season, Welsh was absolutely outstanding and completely bossed the midfield in each match. I don't think I appreciated what a good player he was until his first-half performance against Hearts where he was on another level to anything on the pitch. For me, he hadn't produced that level of performance in the previous season and I think that was perhaps why I was unable to lavish similar praise on him - he often struck me as someone playing within himself at times.

No doubt that he's more than capable at this level but slightly apprehensive about his ongoing fragility, albeit that this setback seems to have occurred as the result of some severe treatment from the opposition.

Edited by Armand2

I think the good news (if any) in this situation is that it's an unrelated injury to the previous one. Really unlucky and hopefully he'll be ready to go for the turn of the year.

I get what you're saying re unrelated injury to the long term groin injury that kept him out for so long but...

One of the reasons Hibs let him go was because of his injury record. It hasn't improved at Firhill. The groin injury, & would be wrong to speculate as to why he was out so long, did occur. The length of time may have been longer than thought but before the groin it was the ankle, before the ankle the knee...

You get the idea.

Pay as you play then you definitely keep Sean Welsh otherwise I don't think we can take the risk of keeping him on another year with him missing more than he plays.

For what it's worth, I think a fully fit Sean Welsh would've been plundered by a certain former manager ahead of someone like Paul Paton.

Yeah, I'm trying to be optimistic because I like the player. We didn't take another chance on Osbourne this season, so business head says it doesn't make sense to do so with Welsh. I'll stick to optimistic for another couple of months at least!

. Although he missed the run-in, Paton's level of consistency was tremendous and I often think he was more worthy of the praise afforded to Welsh. All about opinions, I suppose. .

Exactly right about opinions, as I didn't think Paton was quite as good as many made him out to be! Strange how we all see the same things differently when it comes to this game.

• 1 month later...

I would assume that we paid the majority of Aero's contract up before letting him go, so unsure why we haven't done the same with Sean. Pretty sure Aero started of as a right back so he might have done a job for us there until the end of the season. I feel sorry for Sean, but given the apparent finances at the club and the squad looking threadbare due to injuries, not sure why we got rid of a player who could still play a part rather than a guy who has hardly kicked a ball in the last 15 months!

Edited by Lindau

I think he is finished, it is a shame but i doubt he will be with us next season unless archie cannot find players to sign

That's a good point.

The club still haven't solved the LB problem in what has been the best part of 2 transfer windows because they can't find anyone.

What's the chance that Welsh will be kept on because they can't find anyone else?

I would assume that we paid the majority of Aero's contract up before letting him go, so unsure why we haven't done the same with Sean.

1. Can't be sure of that. If Falkirk showed interest, Archie could've said to him "look, someone's interested in you, we're not going to stand in your way if you want to go." Maybe with a month's wages?

2. Bad practice to release an injured player.

3. I'm certain Welsh will leave in the summer. Just hope he can get his career back on track.