Ryan Stevenson

thebiglemon

If it had been the other way round and hearts had attempted to play on with, say Booth, on the ground injured and a hearts player had put it out they'd have been applauded for their sportsmanship.

I'd have been commenting on their stupidity. His leg wasn't hanging off, he wasn't in obvious distress and it wasn't a headknock. We were one down and in possession. It was daft.

I'd have said that about Lawless rather than Stevenson. The wee fella finds pockets of space that his teammates don't. Thought that was evident last week and yesterday.

It's all very well finding wee pockets of space. Complete waste of time though if your heads constantly down to the ground and you'd rather beat three men and loose it, than pass it to a man in space.

I lost track of the amount of times lawless was easily robbed, last week.

We appear to be in disagreement over whether or not sportsmanship is a good thing.

We can leave it here as I see no reason to continue.

Was the hearts player being sporting? Remember in the end he did not require treatment. Also he was one step/roll from leaving the field and getting treatment for himself if he was so bad.

All that happened after Stevenson put the ball out was exactly what we all expected, no treatment, hearts player ok. I think given the stand, miller, etc could see it, one has to question how Stevenson couldn't and as others say it's naivety or a desire to be liked a bit too much by the hearts support. So it could be sportsmanship. But if so rather misplaced.

Edited by jaf

I'd have hoped saner heads would have prevailed this morning over Stevenson but perhaps not.

Should he have kicked the ball out? I'm of the opinion that you play on until the referee stops the game. So in that respect, he was maybe ill advised to do so.

But the abuse he copped for that - and for acknowledging the Hearts fans as he was subbed - was embarrassing; grown men foaming at the mouth, claiming he should never play for the club again. The same grown men who likely lapped up Higginbotham doing similar last week. I told one to sit down and behave himself but there were many more unfortunately. Some people ought to have a proper good look at themselves this morning. The chat about Stevenson "staring out the fans" is just plain moronic nonsense - he was probably just as astounded as anyone else at the abuse he was receiving.

The result and performance was disappointing and frustrating but there was absolutely no need to take it out on one of our own.

Stevenson remains one of our most experienced and influential players, a guy who will prove his worth over the course of the season and has done nothing not to deserve our full support.

• Like 4

The whole 'sportsmanship' kicking the ball out when there's an injured player has gone to far IMO.

The players know themselves when there's been a serious injury & immediately stop, wave on physics etc.

With new concussion rules in other sports, I reckon anything that constitutes a head knock where the player stays down & requires treatment should result in a concussion test at the side by a doctor.

Again, it should put a stop to players feigning injury to stop play & especially if the ref in charge stops play for a 'head knock'. Imagine how pi$$ed the manager would be if it turns out he was using it as a tactic or trying to prove a point to the ref?

Back on topic with Stevenson, I asked on another thread where did the management team see him playing when they brought him in. I'm assuming they spoke to Stevenson about this?

Give him a run in that position then judge him. He's another who's been used in so many positions that it must be as frustrating for him as it is us watching him at times.

• Like 2

His lack of fitness is a worry and what happened yesterday was uncalled for, but if my memory serves me well, he really didn't get started till about November last year. In saying that, not sure whether we can afford to wait that long this season!

He was out injured from end of last season and missed most of the preseason, that would explain his lack of fitness

From @thwtwit on Twitter. Footage of Stevenson yesterday. Clapping Thistle fans. Some amount of shite being talked here . https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vzeq2fi7mzyo45/Stevo%20Subbed.mp4?dl=0

Erm, I don't really want to draw this out longer than necessary but that shows him applauding the Main, Gorgie and Wheatfield Stands.

From @thwtwit on Twitter. Footage of Stevenson yesterday. Clapping Thistle fans. Some amount of shite being talked here . https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vzeq2fi7mzyo45/Stevo%20Subbed.mp4?dl=0

People are wetting themselves over that??? Seriously???

The way some folk are going on, it's as if he bowed multiple times and shook everyone's hand in the crowd.

He acknowledged the reception he got very briefly and looked pretty pissed off as he trudged off. As he should when his team were losing.

Edited by 1876Jag

Our ability to fall out with each other never ceases to amaze me.

A couple of weeks ago it was the north stand 'debate'/attempt at entertainment from colin. Now this.

We all have differing views of how the players and indeed our fellow supporters should behave. We won't always agree but we will all be cheering the same way on Tuesday night.

This season, more than any for a while it seems the need for supporters to play their part. But the players have to as well by getting as fit as they can, trying as hard as they can and by realising we are all in this together. It's going to be a long season - how about we all go a week without trying to fall out with each other?!!

Our ability to fall out with each other never ceases to amaze me.

A couple of weeks ago it was the north stand 'debate'/attempt at entertainment from colin. Now this.

We all have differing views of how the players and indeed our fellow supporters should behave. We won't always agree but we will all be cheering the same way on Tuesday night.

This season, more than any for a while it seems the need for supporters to play their part. But the players have to as well by getting as fit as they can, trying as hard as they can and by realising we are all in this together. It's going to be a long season - how about we all go a week without trying to fall out with each other?!!

And we wonder why our crowds are down

Stevenson is far from fit. If this was preseason I would give him his due, but this is now 5 games into the season. Whether he was injured during preseason or not is beside the point, he has been able for long enough now to get back into some sort of shape and match fitness - he doesn't even look close. That's two seasons in a row that he's taken a long time to get fit. I remember last season, with a full preseason behind him, he was blowing out his arse after 60 minutes during the first game against Ross County and for several weeks/months after that, hence, along with a loss of form (I'm assuming) is why he was dropped. This season, our numbers are shorter so we can't afford for players to be unfit for weeks/months. Maybe its just his natural body language or whatever but Stevo just does not look like he gives a ****. Him coming off and getting his applause from the Hearts fans was the happiest he's looked in the 2 years he's been with us. Aside from maybe 2/3 months of last season, Stevenson has done absolutely nothing to merit the wages that he's on in comparison to the rest of the squad (whether he's THE highest earner or not, no one can deny that he is at least one of the highest earners)