Scottish Football. The Great Rip Off?

Yellow & Redneck

This isn’t the first time I’ve brought this up in the past few years, but I wanted to get Jags fans take on the price of football, especially at our own club.

Having been a Season Ticket Holder for the past seven seasons, and then a Student Card holder for this season, I’ve at times failed to notice the price of a full-price home ticket at Firhill.

Yesterday I brought my father along to a Jags game for the first time in about four years, and his face almost dropped at the Ticket Office when asked to cough up £22. It wasn’t until afterwards when we were talking about it did I realise how absolutely scandalous this pricing plan is, to sit in a half empty stadium, watching lower bottom-half Scottish Football.

My question is, where is the justification for this pricing structure coming from, as it is endemic at all levels of Scottish football, at every single club?

Would it also seem sensible now to drop the U-16 Free Initiative if that meant we could hypothetically reduce the price of an adult ticket?

Scotland isn’t Germany for example. There is no point in even postulating the idea of free travel included in match tickets etc. ever taking off in Scotland. But, is it too much to ask for clubs not to rip off its largely working-class following, and come up with a sensible pricing structure so football can be enjoyed by everyone? £15 for an adult, £10 for a concession, £5 for U-16 for example.

Partick Thistle has always been at the forefront of new ideas in Scottish football. We have had free U-16’s, the first designated standing area in Scottish football, charity away kits etc. Could we be the ones that run with an idea of affordable matchdays?

I think £22 isn't that bad. Accrington Stanley charge £20 for a League 2 game.

I don't know if Thistle do similar but St Mirren offer free tickets to the boys clubs in surrounding areas of Paisley and they still can't get them to go along to games.

The product in Scotland needs to improve before people will come along.

What price do you think we should charge?

Personally I suspect the real issue is the comparative increase in football prices over the years. Cinema and football prices used to be broadly similar - ok since then the "luxury" on offer at a football ground has improved from standing terrace to seated grandstand (a retrograde step in my opinion but given the tragedies at grounds probably a necessary one).

The real issue might be about the product on offer - is it worth it? Possibly it was too cheap in the past and wages, signing on fees, reduced media income, no income from the sale of players etc. had contributed to the increase in admission prices and perhaps a decrease in quality. I will admit I am a very poor attendee nowadays - there are reasons for this which I won't bore you with - however, attending football is becoming increasingly more viable in terms of my other commitments - although, even with the opportunity to attend, I must admit the prospect of paying £20-£25 for the entertainment on offer in adequate if basic conditions doesn't particularly entice me to turn up on anything other than a fairly irregular basis.

No more than £15 for an adult ticket. That is as much as Scottish football can justify charging for an inferior product.

I agree although football has more things to compete with these days and it struggles to provide good value for money for what you are served up.

Thistle like other clubs have offered incentives to get folk along to games and i applaud them for that, but all clubs need to sit down together and set a pricing structure that is consistent throughout the game and try to attract more folk back to football.

Season tickets will provide better value for money but for people who decide to go and take in the odd game now and then to see what all the fuss is about need to experience something that will hopefully keep them coming back.

Edited by billko

I imagine the problem is one of an inelasticity of demand. Lowering the ticket price wouldn't increase attendance significantly, so the club would probably end up losing money. I agree that it's too much relative to other forms of entertainment, but I imagine this is the conundrum the club is faced with.

• Like 1

This is a problem that needs sorted at the top level. SFA should set pricing and cap salaries in comparison to earnings. Force X number of Scottish under 21's etc to play. Change won't be instant but over 5/10 years it could start bringing the game alive again. I think every club should have under 16's free (certain % of tickets at least).

Will never happen and just forced to accept the loyal fans will pay for the inadequacy of the rule makers.

Thankfully most clubs at the moment seem to be ran sensibally - the price is really forced upon them to compete and survive. A Scotland wide approach is the only way for change so not blaming any board or club.

Whilst my love of Thistle knows no limits, sadly my bank account (as with very many other supporters) does. At Firhill,I don't have a particular problem at £22 given our "kids for free" policy although I think that somehow it is wrong to encourage something for nothing and would like to see a "pocket money" entry fee for the youngsters with an appropriate offset for family groups.

Was it Albion Rovers tried a "pay what you can afford" day and just wonder what our fans would think we are worth if we tried it sometime?

Returning to the wider question - yes going to football is getting expensive given travel costs and refreshments as part of your day . It is encouraging more clubs are beginning to operate at break even or in profit and that would suggest the price charged is necessary for now.

A (contentious admittedly) thought would be to charge away fans less to encourage travelling support. This in itself may improve the atmosphere at games although probably increase stewarding & police costs thus offsetting extra income.

In short it is difficult to see how our game could be made much cheaper. Players still need paid & stadiums need upkeep and for most clubs there is a finite support out there (swollen only by crucial games and the sniff of silverware). Personally, like other posters, I cannot see reducing the price significantly would make a great difference so guess we like it of lump it and hope for more good football at Firhill when of course the price paid becomes immaterial upon a Jags win!

Edited by Peaty FC

In an ideal world pricing would be something like:

Behind goals (standing) - £15

JH stand (sections 1-3 & 7-9) - £20

JH stand (sections 4-6) - £22

Main Stand (redeveloped family stand) - U16's free, family ticket (2 adults and as many kids as you want) £35, adults £20.

But as said, it would likely lose the club revenue and would be a lot more difficult to administer than the simply "one rip off price" policy.

A neat idea Firhillista. However the problem arises first of all with the appearance of the hordes of Old Firm supporters who are prepared to pay full price to follow their team, and so PTFC and other clubs would lose out by reducing prices. Second, as someone has pointed out, away supporters are not particularly sensitive to admission prices, and so attendances would probably not increase sufficiently to compensate for the lower prices.

You are nevertheless right to suggest that "something should be done", and perhaps the answer lies in acknowledging (as many clubs including PTFC have partially done) that pricing should differ according to who the opponents are. In other words, charge what the market will bear.

Edited by eljaggo

My dad was telling me the other day, that 10 fags and getting into the football were pretty much like for like for his and my granda's generation.

Now days with fags heavily taxed its a fiver.

The football is £20.

Go figure!

But how does it compare to say a pint or a loaf of bread?

Fags have inflated in price faster than any other item you can buy due to taxation, but seems football has as well.

It's a tricky situation though, cut the prices will mean cut the wage bill which in turn will probably lead to poor results and less crowds,

Maybe adding more value to ST could help, say add 1st 2 home cup ties on it as an incentive

All clubs should offer admission for a fiver to anyone presenting a season ticket for another club. It would increase attendance at all games and encourage more people to purchase a season ticket, allowing clubs to plan ahead. It's time there was a more coherent approach to the game in Scotland.

Great idea, now which Easdale brother was it i threw my season ticket at :thinking:

All clubs should offer admission for a fiver to anyone presenting a season ticket for another club. It would increase attendance at all games and encourage more people to purchase a season ticket, allowing clubs to plan ahead. It's time there was a more coherent approach to the game in Scotland.

Dundee United have had this reciprocal agreement in place with other clubs this season. Production of a season ticket gets you in as away supporter for £15(I think).

I believe Thistle are one of the clubs who have agreed to this so when we travel to Tannadice in Feb ST holders will get in for £15.

We have had a couple of games this season where the price was just 15. The Hamilton cup game for example and I think even the Aberdeen league game, but it didn't make much difference to the attendance.

It's not about doing it for just one game, to improve the crowds the price has to come down permanently.

It requires football clubs to accept that their income will drop in the short term. But in the longer term, their loyal supporters will feel a lot more appreciated and the crowds would eventually increase, as would the income.

Think the overheads are far greater than they used to be. The amount of stewards and police at games is way over the top, years ago there were hardly any. Also facilities are much better and this costs too.

Nevertheless, the prices are far too high, £10 for adults would be better value, can't see this happening though as the fixed overhead costs are high and probably out with the clubs control.

Think the overheads are far greater than they used to be. The amount of stewards and police at games is way over the top, years ago there were hardly any. Also facilities are much better and this costs too.

Nevertheless, the prices are far too high, £10 for adults would be better value, can't see this happening though as the fixed overhead costs are high and probably out with the clubs control.

If it's £10 an adult then our money available for players is halved as it won't get twice as many punters through the gates.

Unless every club does the same we end up with a wage pool less than the championship and a player squad to suit, results and performances will mimic this and attendances drop further again dropping our available budget and the quality of players available, the downward spiral continues

If it's £10 an adult then our money available for players is halved as it won't get twice as many punters through the gates.

Unless every club does the same we end up with a wage pool less than the championship and a player squad to suit, results and performances will mimic this and attendances drop further again dropping our available budget and the quality of players available, the downward spiral continues

I agree totally, if we were to charge £10 we would get relegated or close down, perhaps even both!

The point I was trying to make that £10 is about the right price for a football match. However, the overheads are far greater than they used to be.

The conditions that people watch the game have improved massively over the years. You only have to go back to the 1980's when most of the "National Stadium" was not even covered, if it was raining tough luck!

The costs are too high though, in the late 1980's it was £3 to £4 to get into a top flight Scottish match, wages were around £5 to £6 per hour (semi skilled/ skilled manual).

Somewhere along the way things got out of kilter.