Just In .. United .. 2-2

read'n'yell

Not sure where to start - it was really a game of three parts.

First 10-15 minutes we were truely awful and completely over-run - can put it down to the unusual team and a few youngsters needing to get into the game. I'm surprised it took ten minutes for them to score. We sat very deep, didn't attack the ball and made several poor mistakes (not just the youngsters).

United scored from our defence being caught turning, which happened a lot early on - all the calls for offsides were not merited.

After they scored they played with some swagger and clearly thought it would be a breaze, which benefited us and allowed us to really get into the game. We started to push forward and it was probably the best half hour we have played this season. McDaid and Lawless were great, stretching the game and making runs that allowed space in behind for our midfielders to open up united. Thought Stevenson was great the whole game, really the player we all thought he could be. Absolutely unplayable (couple of wayward shots but he is capable of scoring those types of goals so worth a shot). Doolan worked hard and managed to get into the game when we were pressing for some time. Should of been 3-1 at HT with the Doolan and Fraser misses somehow not going in - but that probably would of flattered us after the opening 15 mins.

Second half started by our players standing on the pitch for 3 mins before kick off, United coming out after and then being allowed a warm up (first time I've seen that). Archie sent us out to defend and it was a terrible mistake. Completely over-run and lucky we only conceded the one goal - the less said about the second half the better.

Overall very good point under the circumstances.

Positives: think McDaid showed he could be a first choice (I'd play him infront of Craigen or Elliott now), Lyndsey showed he is capable back up and merits why Muirhead has left. He still needs some decent game time though. Thought Stevenson was fantastic and needs to be played in the mid three every week. Didn't concede a late goal even under loads of pressure. Other results went well. Our two "strikers" scored and we came from losing to getting points.

Negatives: Keenan a bit slow and don't think is ready but improved throughout the game. O'Donnell needs told he is a right back - with all the youngsters playing (two in defence) he was naive in getting caught out of position constantly. Way we started second half holding deep just does not work at all for us - it's clear our only form of defence is to play football as we are not experienced or strong enough to sit in like St Jonstone etc might.

Just to add I take back slagging of the big shout out thing, it works pretty well.

Edited by read'n'yell
  • Like 1

For the benefit of Gascube Rd (again) credit where's it's due.

Those 30 minutes after they scored up to half time were a joy to watch & the best I've seen us play at any point this season- incl Ross Co & ICT.

Four front players outstanding. Attacking then defending & pressing in the opposition final third when they didn't have the ball.

Stevenson doing what he's done every game for the past half dozen or so except when he's getting the ball in wide areas or dropping deep we had Doolan in the middle to aim for.

Surely this is better than seeing our wide players & attacking midfield file back & cover someone else?

I'm sure I saw our left back hit the byline second half to out in a cross.

Ran out of steam a little second half & nearly had our infamous last minute disaster but a deserved point & hopefully a sign of things to come in terms of Stevenson & Lawless, McDaid also.

One disappointment- only 5 on the bench. Why not 2 young boys to make up numbers & give them a taste of first team even if not getting on?

Also makes the decision to release Muirhead without recalling BRE a bit daft. However... Onwards & upwards hopefully.

Only Thiste could produce one of their best performance's of the season despite having so many players missing and at the same time frustrate us by yet again failing to hold on for a win. That said I'm sure most of us would have gladly settled for that result, prior to the game.

IMO the first 44 mins represented possibly our best play of the season. Even, out second half display although far from shoddy, was an improvement from the horror show at Fir Park. The obvious criticism would be our sitting too deep as the second half progresses, but considering the age of our team it is hardly surprising. No doubt some will be on Archie's back for this?

• Like 1

A hard earned point . thought we were on a total pumping when they scored first.GMS was taking Keenan to the cleaners and it looked like They were targeting that .Fair play to the youngster though he improved as the game went on nd had a good game.

Stevo, Dools and Lawless were brilliant together in the first half, some barnstorming football and we went in deservedly ahead.

Uniteds subs changed things in the second , and we were on the back foot for the last thirty but I thought we looked pretty comfortable .Lyndsey should have done better at United move for the goal but he had an excellent game alongside Balatoni.

Would have taken a point beforehand so cant complain but we did start to give the ball away more than we should which I thought was more psychological than pressure from united. We may have ran out of steam too didnt have the subs to keep going.

McDaid has brilliant energy, he'll be a first team regular soon , chased everything.

Also there was a stownwall penalty on Dools, ref was sh1te again.

More positives than negatives today, Dools and Stevo looked good together, and the young players gave everything.

Magnificent performance from a team reduced to the bare bones and clearly deid on it's erse by the closing stages on the game.

It's fantastic to see Stevenson improve continually and an excellent touch as always from Doolan.

McDaid has done plenty in my opinion to be in consideration every week.

Referee was, as always, a gobshite and McNamara's got his team stuffed with cheats and divers.

The usual mob were rubbing their hands with glee and sharpening their knives even before Craigen came on, but unfortunately for them, the game finished with a more than deserved point. I wonder who the next scapegoat will be?

• Like 1

To say that squad was down to its bare-bones would be an understatement. Even the players we did have on the pitch like Fraser and Bannigan were still carrying knocks, as well as recovering from this virus.

All I can say is that I hope Archie is proud, because his boys put up one hell of a fight today. Today is solid proof that Doolan and Stevenson should be starting together for the foreseeable future. Also I think Stevo played like a true champion today, and showed great leadership and encouragement towards those younger players.

Lawless was also immense and staked his claim for a starting jersey.

Unfortunately we didn’t take the game by the scruff of the neck in the 2nd Half, and invited pressure. It was inevitable they’d get their equaliser, but that was as hard as you’ll ever work for a point. Any other team bar Aberdeen or Celtic would have been soundly beaten today.

• Like 2

Terrific game, first and foremost. Nice pass and rush play throughout from both sides.

Lawless was my MOTM. Absolutely outstanding, as he has been all season. Stevenson and Lindsay also superb, apart from the youngster misplaced clearance or their equaliser.

I'm not sure young Keenan's going to make it but McDaid looks a real find on the wing.

United should be riding high in this league. Full of talent but lack a bit of experience. Dillon is woeful.

Ciftci is talented but he's also the most despicable human being in Scottish football. There should be no place for a complete ar5ehole like him in sport. A cheat, an idiot, highly unsporting and completely void of respect. As much as I'd like Thistle to be a bit more nasty, he reminds me of some of the worst cretins who've turned out for the old firm in the past.

Onwards and upwards to Dingwall. A massive game.

Ciftci is talented but he's also the most despicable human being in Scottish football. There should be no place for a complete ar5ehole like him in sport. A cheat, an idiot, highly unsporting and completely void of respect. As much as I'd like Thistle to be a bit more nasty, he reminds me of some of the worst cretins who've turned out for the old firm in the past.

And to think I was a bit surprised about Celtic's interest in him, pretty good summary of a horrible player. His attitude doesn't add to his game or help his team mates so he needs to cut it out and I think McNamara has told him similar.

Impressed by McDaid and Lindsay. Shouldn't be asking them be to key parts of the first team at this stage of their careers, but showed they are more than able to step in. I'd rather have McDaid than Elliott or Craigen starting based on the two times I've seen him. Faided a bit in the second half, but had a bit of trickery and never afraid to take a man on.

Felt Stevenson was excellent again and God only knows why Lawless seems to be on the bench every other week.

Not impressed by Bannigan at all lately, slows the game right down by passing the ball back the way or to the side and gaves away fouls and bookings far too often. Eccleston must be really pish too if he can't crack the starting XI when the team is this bare.

A decent point given the circumstances.

Oh and finally the crowd was pathetic again. How on earth can we expect to ever push on and cement ourselves at this level when only 2400 home fans can be arsed to show up?

Edited by Hankey
  • Like 1

Not impressed by Bannigan at all lately, slows the game right down by passing the ball back the way or to the side and gaves away fouls and bookings far too often.

Bannigan was excellent today. Fetching, carrying, driving us on, retaining possession - bar one wayward pass from memory - and filling in for Keenan whenever the youngster pushed up.

• Like 3

Credit to Archie and the boys. Any preparation for this match would have been severly hampered by the late call-offs, yet, aside from the first 10 minutes, I thought we looked well organised. We ran out of steam in the second half but still managed to take a point off of a very decent Utd side.

Positives:

- McDaid showed that he has a bright future at the club. He kept things relatively simple but was always alert and assured in posession.

- Similarly, Lindsay had a solid game against an attack with pace and power.

- Stevenson was absolutely superb. The worry has always been that playing him in the AM position may leave our central midfielders too exposed. I never felt this was the case today: he ran his socks off, linked midfield and attack well, and threw his weight about when it was required.

- Wee Lawless must have put glue on his boots prior to kick off, as the ball stuck to him even in the tightest of positions. He looked really dangerous in the first half and has made the case for a more regular start.

Negatives

- As we know, we are down to the bare bones. This being the case Archie didn't have much scope to change things when we were under pressure. We definitely need a few new faces.

- The guy sitting a couple of rows in front of me who did nothing but bellow abuse at the players. It was really tiring having to listen to the bile and garbage emanating from his gob. Thankfully this is the first time I've seen him so hopefully he'll sod off somewhere else in future. He would fit in well with the opposition's support.

Overall, far more positives than negatives.

• Like 1

- The guy sitting a couple of rows in front of me who did nothing but bellow abuse at the players. It was really tiring having to listen to the bile and garbage emanating from his gob. Thankfully this is the first time I've seen him so hopefully he'll sod off somewhere else in future. He would fit in well with the opposition's support.

That is quite a large part of our fanbase. People who attend seemingly only to complain. It seems to be their main enjoyment in life. Miserable feckers.

first 10 mins we were all over the place, I thought we would have to take Keenan off as he looked completely lost and out his depth, he didn't look fit either, he came onto a game though so credit to him and he had a decent 2nd half.

we should have went in 3-1 up but a great save from Cerzniak denied that.

The 2nd half was all United, they dominated the midfield and we dropped deeper and deeper the longer the half went on, they were always going to equalise but we defended well, and for all their dominance I don't think Gallacher had a save to make.

There was a hairy moment at the end when Dow I think broke through but we managed to clear before he got the strike off. Balatoni would have been my MOTM but I thought everyone had a good game, in particular Lawless McDaid and Stevenson. Really impressed with McDaid, that's the first time I've seen him properly.delighted with the point.I think any scouts there to see the United players would be disappointed, didn't think Armstrong looked any better than Fraser or Bannigan!

Just shows what happens when craigen is out the team we actually look like scoring!

Ok I'm only fishing!!

On a serious note thought the first half we were excellent well after the first 10 or 15 mins. It's understandable the young guys looked nervous and it showed down the left.

After we went 1-0 down we came back brilliantly and lawless at the heart of everything. His control and turns had the utd players chasing shadows. Unlucky not to have been 3-1 up and will need to watch again how doolan missed his shot and Frasers didn't go in!

The second half everyone could see a utd goal coming. We were Sitting very deep and looked nervous. But again due to the youngsters that's understandable. We needed to change something but even now I'm not quite sure what Archie could have done.

I think it's fair to say we won't see eccleston play again for thistle. Don't really know what's happening there but could have came on for doolan near the end even if it was Jst to waste a bit of time.

A point that I don't think anyone would have expected us to get on looking at the line ups so well done to everyone as it was a hard earned point.

Well I will be honest, when I saw the team I thought we might be on the end of a tanking and when that early goal went in, I was positive. What I saw from then until half time was probably the best football we have played under Archie. We absolutely mullered them and we could easily have went in 3 goals up. What was shown today is that at long last we have some half decent young guys coming through the ranks. Thought Lindsay was very good and credit goes to big Conrad for guiding him through a tough baptism. Thought Conrad was very good today. Young McDaid was a right handful and both him and Lawless ran them ragged for that 30 minute period. Sadly Keenan got a bit of a toasting (similar to Banzo at Fir Park last week) but fair play, he plugged away. He probably needs at least another half season on loan. Stevo showed today, why he was signed. He was bloody immense. Keep both him and Dools in the team along with Lawless. Considering all the pre match problems we had, that was an excellent performance and result.

I'm not sure i've left a game since we came back up, feeling more proud of the team. Down to the absolute bare bones and i'm sure we all feared the worst when the team lines came out.

Apart from the first 15 minutes were we looked a little nervous, the first half we were outstanding. The scottish media bang on and on about DU's exciting youngsters but I think we proved ours are every bit as good! Some of frasers cross field passes to sod/keenan were sublime and for me lawless was our best player. I cant believe we'd ever leave stevie out in favour of being more solid defensively. He puts in as good a shift as anyone and does the ugly stuff too. We've got some very good footballers at our club and I sometimes feel we worry a little too much about other teams players instead of letting them worry about ours.

Special mention also for McDaid, keenan and lyndsey who all put in a great performance against a good DU side.

All things considered, a great point and a hugely encouraging performance.

For the benefit of Gascube Rd (again) credit where's it's due.

Those 30 minutes after they scored up to half time were a joy to watch & the best I've seen us play at any point this season- incl Ross Co & ICT.

Four front players outstanding. Attacking then defending & pressing in the opposition final third when they didn't have the ball.

Stevenson doing what he's done every game for the past half dozen or so except when he's getting the ball in wide areas or dropping deep we had Doolan in the middle to aim for.

Surely this is better than seeing our wide players & attacking midfield file back & cover someone else?

I'm sure I saw our left back hit the byline second half to out in a cross.

Ran out of steam a little second half & nearly had our infamous last minute disaster but a deserved point & hopefully a sign of things to come in terms of Stevenson & Lawless, McDaid also.

One disappointment- only 5 on the bench. Why not 2 young boys to make up numbers & give them a taste of first team even if not getting on?

Also makes the decision to release Muirhead without recalling BRE a bit daft. However... Onwards & upwards hopefully.

You are such an arse!