Defend The Indefensible

Bleeding Gums Murphy

No I think he started with a plan that he alone thought would work unfortunately it took 45 Minutes of utter rubbish for the penny to drop.

That's the nub of the problem. The management team might even have decided, naively, that the same lineup that won at Inverness would succeed again, but at the very least the first goal should have put paid to that notion: that was the point at which tactics should have been changed. I can't imagine that a single Jags fan watching that game couldn't see that at least one striker had to go on, and that changes in midfield were essential. Instead, we watch the obstinacy of the self-deluded, when no change was made until the game was already out of reach. There seems to be a determination not to use substitutes from our management team that is difficult to understand. If it isn't working, then it has to be changed.

Wow, that's some reaction. I agree the team selection upfront was strange and wrong. But we have just lost to a single goal to the third placed side in Scotland. The way people are going on here, you'd have thought it was Spartans that had beaten us.

We were absolutely dreadful and could easily have been 4 down at half time

And this follows two other poor performances

As pointed out to me yesterday Archie went with the same sort of line up as the previous game up in Inverness. Clearly didn't work yesterday mainly because we couldn't/didn't press them and establish a high line like we did up there, There was no signs of what's termed "high energy" and in general the lack of pace, something we're not short of, was shockingly absent.

I can just about see why Archie preferred Stevenson to Doolan up front. But imo the very reasons why he'd opt for that are negated when he had Taylor available and presumably fit enough to start. Just why Stevenson was taking corners will probably have to remain one of life's great mysteries.

Team selection tho' had little if nothing to do with why we got beat. As others have pointed out they should've scored four or five in the first half thru a combination of defensive errors and ineffective hoofball.

Says it all when arguably your best player is a right sided attacker playing left back.

In Management it is generally regarded there are four different styles ranging from putting the arm round to the hair dryer, from what I see from Archie when he stands in the dugout appears only to be the one. In management you can't operate with such a limited style. Ferguson had a proven track record before he went to Manchester and he certainly was not involved in a relegation battle, united fans wanted instant success, Thistle fans are not that ambitious, it may have been Fergie's darkest hour but it can't be used as any sort of defence for Archie. Had Taylor not have signed did Archie have a plan B.

Thistle have a reasonable squad that should be challenging, he must recognise that Bannigan is washed up, Craigen is hopeless and he must play with two up front especially at home. Archie needs help so what is shaggie's involvement at this crucial time.

Obviously forgotten that although Thistle fans are not as ambitious as demanding instant success, that is exactly what we got with Archie by winning the 1st Division in his 1st 1/2 season.

I think falling into a relegation or play-off spot from where we currently sit this season would be regarded as a failure, and a desperate one at that. I don't think that's going to happen, but people are understandably depressed and frustrated at the moment, and could really do with a bit of hope for the rest of the season.

Taylor was that bit of hope, but unfortunately that only lasted until he was plopped onto the bench straight away. Pretty dispiriting when you see the quality of his goal on the highlights, and we're left to wonder how different things could have been if our team had been set up to take advantage of it's strengths yesterday.

We've got nothing but hard games to come to ensure top league survival, and we need to know lessons are going to be learned.

And it doesn't give you hope the way we played in the 2nd half ? How will you know lessons have been learned before the next game.

I think falling into a relegation or play-off spot from where we currently sit this season would be regarded as a failure, and a desperate one at that. I don't think that's going to happen, but people are understandably depressed and frustrated at the moment, and could really do with a bit of hope for the rest of the season.

Taylor was that bit of hope, but unfortunately that only lasted until he was plopped onto the bench straight away. Pretty dispiriting when you see the quality of his goal on the highlights, and we're left to wonder how different things could have been if our team had been set up to take advantage of it's strengths yesterday.

We've got nothing but hard games to come to ensure top league survival, and we need to know lessons are going to be learned.

Bottom or play-off was always going to be a possibility from us. Top flight football in Scotland doesn't make transforming a club and it's playing staff into serious contenders for honours simple or easy let alone an inevitibility. This season's target should be consolidation of our place in the division with hope of some progress up the table.

Taylor came on yesterday and scored a good goal, and the caley keeper made a a couple of good saves, second half, to keep out an equaliser.; Celtic, aberdeen and st.johnstone are the only teams, so far, to have beaten us by more than the odd goal. Coming up, we've got smeltic who in the league have managed only 1 goal against us at the graveyards, Dundee who haven't beaten us yet, two games with county who've amassed half our points since we beat them 4-1, a home game with motherwell who on their last visit were seen off 3-1, c*nt0marra u-sh1t33d who only have the edge on us courtesy of a late penalty at home and last game our decimated squad got a creditable draw... ... ... I reckon those who give up hope now ask thier doc for medication.

We got beat yesterday, and we're out the cup. It was a poor first half and insufficient second. Archie maybe tried a kinda double bluff with Taylor, everyone thought he'd start. It didn't pay off. It doesn't mean the guy clueless or incapable of learning.

:fan:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 2

That's the nub of the problem. The management team might even have decided, naively, that the same lineup that won at Inverness would succeed again, but at the very least the first goal should have put paid to that notion: that was the point at which tactics should have been changed. I can't imagine that a single Jags fan watching that game couldn't see that at least one striker had to go on, and that changes in midfield were essential. Instead, we watch the obstinacy of the self-deluded, when no change was made until the game was already out of reach. There seems to be a determination not to use substitutes from our management team that is difficult to understand. If it isn't working, then it has to be changed.

Making the changes at half time was hardly at a time when the game was out of reach. There were still 25 mins left when Taylor scored and as I said on another thread, only a superb save by Esson prevented us gettin a draw.

Bottom or play-off was always going to be a possibility from us. Top flight football in Scotland doesn't make transforming a club and it's playing staff into serious contenders for honours simple or easy let alone an inevitibility. This season's target should be consolidation of our place in the division with hope of some progress up the table.

I agree with just about all you wrote but from the other side of the arguement we had someone on another thread telling the critics to STFU because we have a stronger squad, more goal scored, less goals conceded so from that standpoint we should be safely consolidated by now.

The fact that it hasn't happened despite all these facts are leading folk to question if Archibald the right man for the job.

Btw, where is the Monkey Red? Conspicuous by his absence considering he had plenty to say last week.

And it doesn't give you hope the way we played in the 2nd half ? How will you know lessons have been learned before the next game.

Personally, I don't remember the last time I had hope that when we concede, we'll come back to win.

I would have been encouraged by a positive statement from Archie acknowledging his mistakes in team selection in his post match interviews, but we didn't get that.

I will be encouraged by seeing a positive team selection against Dundee next week. Or by thrashing Celtic ... one can always hope!

I agree with just about all you wrote but from the other side of the arguement we had someone on another thread telling the critics to STFU because we have a stronger squad, more goal scored, less goals conceded so from that standpoint we should be safely consolidated by now.

The fact that it hasn't happened despite all these facts are leading folk to question if Archibald the right man for the job.

Btw, where is the Monkey Red? Conspicuous by his absence considering he had plenty to say last week.

Can't speak for how others comment here. But if you agree with the facts stronger squad, more goals, less conceded and i'd add, better home record, better league position... then that is all in favour of Archie doing well.

Some may argue that it is a weakened league. However, in a 12 team league where 2 might go down, it is almost inevitable that at least a third of the league may well find themselves in that battle. Last season, it was half post split with the hibbes only gaining 7points from end of January to end of season falling from 6th to 11th.... what was the major change they made mid-season?

Even with three major scottish forces out the league the competition is still tight and Archie has no readily identifiable benefits or advantages over his rivals.

Who T.. F... is monkey red?

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

It's not easy to defend Archie's Jags the last fortnight.

And he does himself no favours with those bland interviews, but the truth is we don't really know what goes on in the dressing room, what his game plan intentions are.

Players can be right bassas at times tho, there's some signs that a few of them are going through the motions, although I don't really want to get into this slagfest.

The boss has got his work cut out on how best to handle them. I for one have every faith we will bounce back from this mini slump.

I would defo get McDaid right in there on Wednesday night for starters. Hunger guaranteed and no little talent.

• Like 1

I would defo get McDaid right in there on Wednesday night for starters. Hunger guaranteed and no little talent.

Would be tempted to throw McDaid in instead of Higgy, but my hope yesterday was that Lyle would spark a return to form from Higgy, but they never even got a minute on the pitch together. The whole scenario yesterday was bizarre to say the least.

Would be tempted to throw McDaid in instead of Higgy, but my hope yesterday was that Lyle would spark a return to form from Higgy, but they never even got a minute on the pitch together. The whole scenario yesterday was bizarre to say the least.

agree on both i do. fear is, archie will view mcdaid as too young or inexperienced to face the eastend arse cheek. i foresee a even more defensive minded lineup for wednesday night, but no one foresaw yesterdays lineup, so perhaps archie will astound us all two games in a row?

Personally, I don't remember the last time I had hope that when we concede, we'll come back to win.

I would have been encouraged by a positive statement from Archie acknowledging his mistakes in team selection in his post match interviews, but we didn't get that.

I will be encouraged by seeing a positive team selection against Dundee next week. Or by thrashing Celtic ... one can always hope!

I wasn't asking whether you had hope after we lost 2 goals, but had hope after the way we played in the 2nd half. Surely the fact that he changed the set up in the 2nd half acknowledges that the selection was wrong ?

It seems that there are some who want rid of him no matter what, without having any alternative plan.

If I was a manager of another club and listened to the hostility towards Archie, I would be reluctant to come here.