Team For Wednesday

watties wallies

If starting with one forward against Celtic, go for Dools.

If you're starting with a lone striker against the likes of van Dijk then I'd say Taylor's a no brainer.

I omitted him from my suggested line-up, but I'm wondering if there's a place for Lawless. I've marveled at the ease with which he turns players who get too tight to him and wonder if he could get some joy out of the Celtic defence.

Archie pretty clearly won't start Doolan against Celtic- in the 5 previous games he's started him once, then Taylor twice (including his 1st debut), Eccleston (his only start) and Stevenson.

I'd go

Gall

SOD

Frans

Seabo

Booth

Osman

????

Lawless

Stevo

Elliott

Taylor

Not sure at all who to play, could argue the toss for Bannigan, Fraser, or even Craigen there. Think Archie will go with Bannigan.

Taylor Taylor Taylor Taylor...............

Starting to feel really pis*ed off for Kris Doolan. The best striker we have at the club, and yet he often seems to get treated like he doesn't exist. Some other outfit will show him some appreciation before long.

aside from the Hamilton game do you think he showed he was the best striker at the club at killie away, st mirren at home or when he came on against caley thistle. Lyle Taylor did more in that second half against Inverness that Doolan did in those games put together.

Yes kris is a great servant to the club and yes he showed us against accies what he can as he has on countless occasions but given Taylor's performance on Saturday and doolans non existance in the last 3 games then Lyle should start. The next time Dools comes on or even if he starts tomorrow night then it's up to him to show why he should be getting in the squad ahead of Taylor and I do honestly hope he does show us why

Sellick will have one eye on their European mission and hopefully will forget that they have the very unpredictable Harry Wraggs to contend with beforehand. Deila is getting a bit too cocky now and I believe he will field a very weakened team against us, at least thats what my optimism is telling me , so roll on tonight and lets hope my thoughts will become reality , im forecasting a 1-0 home win !! C'mon the Jags !1

• Like 1

They play St Johnstone at the weekend. If they are going to field a weakened team for the European game then that would be the one to do it in.

If we are getting horsed then I hope Bannigan has another one of his moments and gets sent off.

If Archie won't drop him then I hope his hand is forced.

If you're starting with a lone striker against the likes of van Dijk then I'd say Taylor's a no brainer.

I omitted him from my suggested line-up, but I'm wondering if there's a place for Lawless. I've marveled at the ease with which he turns players who get too tight to him and wonder if he could get some joy out of the Celtic defence.

What's your thinking behind the Taylor (vs Van Dijk) preference, DP?

What's your thinking behind the Taylor (vs Van Dijk) preference, DP?

I know this isn't directed at me, but I agree with DP. Taylor will rough up defenders for 90 minutes. Van Dijk is a top quality defender, but does not like big strikers who'll play off him and give him hassle all game. He likes to have time on the ball and win headers to feel comfortable. Taylor won't let him do that. As much as I love Dools, his game is totally different and feel that Taylor is better equipped to lead the line tonight.

I know this isn't directed at me, but I agree with DP. Taylor will rough up defenders for 90 minutes. Van Dijk is a top quality defender, but does not like big strikers who'll play off him and give him hassle all game. He likes to have time on the ball and win headers to feel comfortable. Taylor won't let him do that. As much as I love Dools, his game is totally different and feel that Taylor is better equipped to lead the line tonight.

I agree that Doolan and Taylor's games are very different, but I don't think the battle in the Celtic penalty box is going to be won by either of our forwards roughing up Virgil van Dijk (neither of them are physically capable of it). From a defender's point of view, Taylor would be a bit more of an inconvenience in terms of not allowing time on the ball, but how many opportunities do we realistically expect to have to dispossess the Celtic defence in and around their box? I can see Doolan being a better choice for tonight, on the grounds that if we can get the ball to his feet a handful of times during the game, his ability to wrong-foot defenders with a good first touch might present one or two shooting chances.

Hell, let's start them both. Attack is the best form of defence.

Edited by ScottyDFA
  • Like 1

I agree that Doolan and Taylor's games are very different, but I don't think the battle in the Celtic penalty box is going to be won by either of our forwards roughing up Virgil van Dijk (neither of them are physically capable of it). From a defender's point of view, Taylor would be a bit more of an inconvenience in terms of not allowing time on the ball, but how many opportunities do we realistically expect to have to dispossess the Celtic defence in and around their box? I can see Doolan being a better choice for tonight, on the grounds that if we can get the ball to his feet a handful of times during the game, his ability to wrong-foot defenders with a good first touch might present one or two shooting chances.

Hell, let's start them both. Attack is the best form of defence.

I agree with you that we won't be winning many battles against the Celtic defence, but I should've probably been more clear in what I mean about stopping Van Dijk getting on the ball. I've noticed that Van Dijk has a tendency to take the ball and move forward with it at his feet numerous times every game, with Taylor there, in my opinion, it would limit the opportunities he has to do so which would take out one of the big threats that Celtic can cause and keep VVD in defensive positions to mark Taylor. Its not necessarily about winning balls in and around the Celtic defence or in their box that I think the game will be won and lost, moreso that if we can keep their centre halves occupied, then this would hopefully create more space for our attacking players playing behind Taylor.

I actually do think that Doolan should start in behind Taylor as opposed to Stevenson as I think that would work well and on the few occasions we will get to attack, we would be more of a threat. Can't see Archie doing that though.

Edited by GinolasBald

A valid argument for Doolan but I can see the sense in playing the stronger Taylor as well. If this game was played when it was supposed to then of course we wouldn't have had that choice. Ironically it would almost certainly have been Stevo that would've played in the striker's position. Less ironic was the choice of front man last game. Indeed if the ICT game had been postponed I don't think it would've been too much a shock to see Stevenson start up front tonight.

I think tho' the real problem is fitting Ryan into tonight's side. If he plays close to the striker (the No 10 position in today's parlance) it could well mean sacrificing Higgy or Lawless (perhaps both) to bolster the midfield. I'd definitely play Stevenson and tho' Wee Stevie deserves to play ahead of Higgy I'd go for the latter to get Elliott into a more favourable position down the right. Could even see Bannigan play left midfield and go without Higgy as well.

Perhaps a bit negative but maybe alright to start off with.....

Gallagher

SOD

Frans

Seaborne

Booth

Osman

Elliott

Fraser

Bannigan

Stevenson

Taylor/Doolan

Taylor before Doolan for me tonight. I think Kris is a better penalty box player, but I don't see us getting a lot of opportunities to play football in their area. Taylor looks more likely to shrug off a defender and get a decent shot away from distance. Pressure on their defenders when they have the ball at their feet is a must too.

I picked a team that started Doolan and Taylor. But if you had to go for one, right now, it'd definitely be Taylor. He scored a well-taken goal on Saturday and as a new addition to our team could hopefully give us the lift that our team badly needs. We're so flat right now but when he came on for the second half, we improved. I'm still aggrieved that Taylor didn't start in the cup as he does provide that extra something.

It's no slight on Doolan who is a model professional and decent player with one of the best first-touches I've seen at Firhill, but why would you not go with the striker who's netted in his last match?